“Idea break between LA & San Francisco”
Review of La Cuesta Inn

La Cuesta Inn
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

On travelling from LA to San Francisco the La Cuesta Inn was the ideal place to stop. We had a large clean room with 1 double bed, a TV, microwave & DVD player & a balcony. A large bathroom with an added feature of a plastic duck, was a fun touch. It was nice & quiet. You can also borrow a DVD to watch in your room from a selection in reception. A buffet breakfast was provided which was self service, you could make your own waffles, toast etc. There was also fruit, cereal, tea & coffee. You could take your breakfast back up to your room on a tray if you wanted too. We also had a lovely meal at the Apple Farm which is opposite La Cuesta.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AFabula, Manager at La Cuesta Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hello TravelGirl1766,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stop in San Luis Obispo at our hotel. Located almost half way between SF and LA, we are a great location to stop if you're passing through. If you're ever passing through again we look forward to seeing you!
Thanks again for the feedback!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

San Luis Obispo was the 2nd stay on my 8 day road trip from San Francisco to San Diego... I was very happy and satisfied with my visit here from Saturday May 4th until Tuesday May 7th, 2013. I booked my room through the La Cuesta Inn website via their "Book 2 nights and get a 3rd night free" offer... in actuality, I paid about $104 per night (taxes included)... which I am happy with for what I received.

The front desk staff was friendly and gave great service. When I checked in on Saturday I at first received a room on the 1st floor -- after seeing the room I asked the check-in agent if there was a room on a higher floor -- he gave me a room on the 3rd floor which I was very happy with.

My room had a king-sized bed and a balcony, the view was not great, but I had fresh air and it was not loud at all.

The hotel itself is a bit older and the furniture in the room looked old (as did the A/C unit, but it worked fine), but everything was clean and in working order and more than satisfactory.

The Big Bonus for me was they had Disney Channel (Yes I'm a kid at heart) -- I actually watched TV during my stay.

The location of La Cuesta Inn is right off of highway 101, which is very convenient... and it is a very short drive (about 5-10 minutes) from the downtown area with all the restaurants and shopping.

It was cold and overcast while I stayed so I didn't use the pool.

I was not very impressed with the free continental breakfast... their coffee machine was out of service and the offerings were very simple: boiled eggs, breakfast cereal, a waffle maker (decent though), muffins, yogurt... but I guess it was satisfactory for anyone on a budget. I opted for breakfast at Big Sky Cafe and Sally Loo's.

Overall, I was satisfied with my trip and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I wasn't impressed with the room I saw on the first floor, but was very happy with the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
AFabula, Manager at La Cuesta Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Gregsoon,
Thanks for the review!
We're happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our convenient location makes us an easy trek to the 101, 1, or to downtown SLO. While we do offer a free continental breakfast, you had the pleasure of enjoying a local favorite! In any case, our coffee machine is in fact back in order and we are serving Seattle's Best 24 hours per day! We look forward to your next visit,
Thank you again for sharing on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Wow....this was a great place to stay...very clean..nice staff...waking distance...no road noise...clean room ...great view ...and lots of people eating breakfast and enjoying the food...I would recommend stay here ...

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Rannadannado
AFabula, Manager at La Cuesta Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Rannadannado,

Thanks for the kind comments and the recommendation. I hope you were one of the many who enjoyed the food at breakfast! We appreciate the positive feedback and are happy to welcome you back to stay any time!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We travel to SLO every year at least once. We always stay at La Cuesta Inn for the great value. It is a very well kept hotel with excellent room amenities. All staff has always been friendly and professional. I particularly want to commend the staff on my most recent stay for adjusting the price of my room to the special price that through a booking error was not recorded at the room reservation. Thanks again for your courteous service and consideration.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dirtman140,

Thank you for the five star review! It is our pleasure to ensure that our valued guests like yourself leave satisfied. Perhaps we will see you again sooner than next year!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent 4 nights at La Cuesta for SLO marathon. First floor room was surprisingly private at back/end of hotel, but a little dark and cool/damp? Towels never dried so we got fresh fluffy ones each day. Microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker but not too much space for prep. Fantastic bed and pillows. Extra sink outside bathroom which was handy. Nice pool and hot tub area that is private behind vine-covered walls. Simple breakfast avail in lobby area, and yummy cookies & iced tea each afternoon - nice touch. Very good service - manager offered us free golf round at an area course when he saw our clubs, and another gave us a discount voucher at nearby restaurant. La Cuesta seems to be one of the newest nicest hotels in a town filled with dated, tired motel-type accommodation. Handy location just off 101. We were very happy we stayed there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon M

Sharon M,
Thank you for the review!
We're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We hope you enjoyed your rounds of golf just as much -- Thanks again for the great review! We will surely see you next time.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We usually stay in the hotel chains because of points towards free tickets, however, twice we have stayed here when in SLO and it was a lovely stay both times. The rooms are wonderful, the pool and hot tub very cozy and relaxing. The breakfast is fine. We enjoyed it very much. It's too bad that the rates have gone beyond our affordability this year, but it is an excellent place to stay while in this beautiful area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
AFabula, Manager at La Cuesta Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

mom2cjnk,
Thank you for the review! We're glad that you've stayed with us several times already and we hope that you keep coming back - our rates are seasonal and do fluctuate depending on the demand, so I certainly hope that you are able to get the rate you're looking for next time!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

just spent several days in slo. the la cuesta provided a comfortable base at a very reasonable price. the staff were very friendly and eager to be helpful. the room was good sized, well maintained and quiet. the occasional scent of cleanser in the public spaces was a little offputting but not a real problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jklugmn
AFabula, Manager at La Cuesta Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

jklugmn,

Thanks for getting online and sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community! We are pleased to know that you are satisfied, our staff strives to be as helpful as possible. We look forward to your next stay, thank you again for your review!