“Great location, great little hotel”
Review of La Cuesta Inn

La Cuesta Inn
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Pretty much one of the most painless stays I've had. Check in was a breeze thanks to friendly, efficient staff. The room was exceedingly clean. We were the only ones in the spa and the bubbles were so quiet, we knew we wouldn't disturb other guests and relaxed til closing. My son loved making his own waffles and the breakfast spread exceeded our expectations and allowed us to get back on the road quickly. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is our 8th hotel on our USA roadtrip. We are now in San Luis Obispo at the La Cuesta Inn. Check in was ok but we didn't fancy a room right next to the pool so asked to be moved. This was done but seemed to be done begrudgingly by the receptionist. The rooms are ok, pretty big but with no safe and only mediocre safe facilities behind reception "put it in an envelope and I will drop it in our safe" is what we were told. We asked who had access to the safe and got a non-committal response. This was disappointing so we left our valuables in a locked case in our room which wasn't ideal. We went out for food and when we returned approx. 22.00 the car park was full and when we asked if we could use one of the disabled spaces were told that we would probably be clamped. Breakfast was ok but to be honest we were happy to leave and felt it was one of the poorer hotels we had used on any of our roadtrips.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We found this hotel through TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. The building has an elevator, our room was relatively large and comfortable, staff was helpful, the price was reasonable, and the breakfast included in the rate was a cut above the typical continental breakfast offered by similar hotels. We did not utilize the room's refrigerator or microwave for our quick overnight stay, but it would have been a plus for a longer visit. The hotel's location is excellent, a short distance off the highway, and an easy walking distance (about a mile) to the mission and the vibrant downtown area. Try Novo for dinner - truly excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eadj
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a really nice place to stay and is a really good price. The rooms are slightly on the small side but they are clean and modern, there is also a really nice pool outside.

The staff here are super friendly and could not have done any more to help us with things to do. You can also rent DVD's from reception which was a nice touch.

Overall I would stay here again but only for a few days. This is not because of the hotel but because the area is a bit boring

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel for the price. The staff was very accommodating. The rooms were clean and had microwaves, coffee makers and a refrigerator. The pool was sparkling and we enjoyed the jacuzzi every night. It is right next to the 101, which we found very convenient and you can walk to downtown SLO in about 10 minutes, with cute antique shops along the way. Only time we noticed the noise from the freeway was during rush hour on Monday morning.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was a very nice, basic, hotel. The rooms are standard hotel rooms (our King room had a bed, a sofa, and a desk, as well as a dresser and TV), but very clean, tasefully decorated, and with upscale linens and very comfortable beds. I was pleasantly surprised by the refrigerator in the room, which came in handy after our visits to the nearby wineries and fruit stands. Breakfast was very good, with a lot of choices - anytime there are "make your own waffles" and good coffee, I'm happy. The location was perfect: near the freeway and very close to downtown (<5 min drive). The Apple Farm restaurant is across the street, and the excellent Splash Cafe is just 3 blocks away, a very pleasant walk past all the other Monterrey St hotels. The pool was small, but pretty and very pleasant - a great way to spend a quiet afternoon with a book.

The only reasons I didn't rate 5 stars are that there was highway noise when the windows were open (the trade-off for being so conveniently located) and that I would have expected better fruit at breakfast (but fortunately, we had our own from the fruit stands). We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was one of the few without a balcony, which I would have enjoyed. If we stay here again, I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the La Cuesta Inn in August, 2012. The first issue started with a missing article of clothing. While searching high and low for the missing top of my friends' pj's we discovered a pill under the tv, and fruitloops under the bedskirt. The fruitloops stayed for days, but the pill was gone only because I picked it up. The fruitloops were never vacuumed. After complaining about the cleanliness of the room, an offer was made to comp us the next time we stayed there. I had to ask myself why would I want to stay there again? Another offer was made to comp one night. That was better but not perfect, because after returning home, my friend discovered that 2 more tops were missing. I'm sure that all 3 articles of clothing cost more than a comp for one night's stay. Good thing I didn't leave my laptop in the room.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business