“$200/Night for a Roadside Motel?”

Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I don't know where some of the reviewers got their $100/night prices, but the average going rate for this place is $200 a night for a basic roadside motel room. While this place is convenient because it's right across the street from two shopping centers, it is a worn out roadside motel on a very busy street. Seriously, I would expect MUCH more for $200 bucks a night. This place should be in the $80/night range.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nausica88
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I have been travelling all over America on a fly drive and in this 3 week period I have stayed at several hotels / motels and best westerns. But I have to say this one made me register to vent my disgust. I have to say the location and rooms are as you would expect. The staff are courteous and rooms clean and well presented my horror came at the so called "breakfast". We had looked at the advisor prior to our stay and it said to go early. This is an understatement. I would say don't bother at all there are plenty of food establishments nearby to satisfy your hunger. On a morning I just want to sit and relax for the day ahead not be stood being brushed past as there is not enough room to move. The choice is dia as well. A microwave for cooking your own muffin which everybody stands around a waffle maker again which is qued for and I won't even mention the toaster. That's it apart from some yoghurts. It's a shame it is included in the price otherwise I would say stay away.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stopped one night during a long holiday but wish I could have stayed longer. The check in was quick and friendly and the reception area very nice. The room was large and well equipped and over looked a lively pool area. The shower was hot and powerful and the bed lovely and comfortable. Top hotel for the price I would come back!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We just rocked up with no booking and got a room for $100, deal!
Clean, cheap and spot on for an overnighter on Highway 1.
SLO is a great spot to stay for a day or so.
Watch out for the 'breakfast' its a wild ride.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were worried we'd have difficulty finding a relatively inexpensive place to stay for our one night stay getting set for our drive up the coastal highway. We booked it online in the car while just a few hours away and went with it based on the price ($130ish I think) and reviews. With no need for special amenities, just nice/clean, free breakfast, etc., it was a great choice. I didn't realize until we got there (wife booked it) that it's more of a motor lodge than a hotel, but that has its own charm in this instance. The view from the parking lot of the mountains right behind the hotel is rather impressive and a nice 'welcome'. The room was very large compared to any typical hotel room (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, ex.), maybe not as modern as we prefer but still suited our purposes perfectly. There was a tiny window in the bathroom (could open it for additional circulation) that really was a view to nothing much, but it was another 'charming' addition that you don't typically see. Sometimes it's nice to stay someplace different than the more modern, yet cookie-cutter hotel staples. And with very friendly folks working the desk (told us where to eat when asked, gave coupon) and a very reasonable price.....we simply have no complaints and would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great stop on Highway one raod trip.
Nice clean hotel, room was great, fridge was definitely a plus. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Fitness centre adequate.
Internet was down during our stay- only downside.
Would say again.

The Thursday Farmers Market is a must do....amazing fresh fruit, veggies, nuts jams and so much more. Save your appitite because there mnay different foods available.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The location for this hotel was perfect - close to downtown, Pismo/Avila & Morro Bay + the university. The amenities were even better. It included a 5-7 pm Happy Hour, breakfast, heated pool & jacuzzi, comfy beds and a helpful staff! I would stay here again on my next visit to SLO.
Only negative was the loud A/C unit - they need to update them for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room with pool view & balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family