“Staff talking too much”

Cuisines: Japanese
San Luis Obispo, California
“Staff talking too much”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

When friends and I went there, there are 2 or 3 servers in the restaurant. When they have nothing to do, what they do to kill time is talking with each other out loud. I understand that restaurant is more casual comparing to other fancy Japanese restaurant especially because everything is inexpensive. I don't think customers would be happy with seeing all staff talking gossip out loud. other than that, they are ok but the atmosphere is really important to do the restaurant business...

“I love sushi and I love this place. Great...”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I love sushi and I love this place. Great atmosphere, especially if it's someone's birthday. Food is delicious for the price. Only drawback is how long it can take sometimes, but it's sushi and so that's expected

California USA
“Overall, not bad - didn't try the sushi”
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Everyone seems to rave about the sushi. But we were eating a late dinner and we were craving noodle soup so we ended up here after wandering around. We had udon, which was limited in selection but was fine for us. The place is just a couple steps up from a fast food Japanese restaurant so the decor was lacking but the service was decent. The udon was pretty average for the price. Overall, I don't know that I would seek this place out but if I ended up here again, I would be alright with that.

california
“decent sushi at a great price”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I've eaten here a lot, every time I visit. And I keep going back because the food is good and the price is right: VERY cheap for what you get.

The wait staff are prompt and courteous, and they are always happy to bring you what you want, even if it's not on the menu. I also like the convivial atmosphere. At 42, I am generally one of the oldest people in the place; it's always filled with college kids, rather like a giant cafeteria. I like that kind of liveliness.

I'm partial to fresh fish when I choose a sushi restaurant. And good portions, i.e. plenty of fish in my roll. This place gets a 3.5-4 out of 5 on fish freshness. And a 4 out of 5 on the portions. 5 out of 5 on value for the money. It's half the price of my regular sushi haunt at home.

Shin's is very inventive with their rolls, offering all kinds of crazy combos that my college-age son loves. That's not really my bag. I'm more of a traditionalist, but I am mentioning it in case you the reader are into crazy combos. And if you the reader are a ginger nut like me, then sadly I must report that the ginger here is the artificially colored pink variety. It tastes okay, but natural beige ginger, of course, is waaaay better.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook