Garden Street Inn
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$139
$135
$154
$139
Inn at San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)
$85
$80
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$179
$174
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$129
San Luis Creek Lodge(San Luis Obispo)
$169
$164
$173
$159
  • Breakfast included
Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$89
$86
Hotels.com
$205
Madonna Inn(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$209
Hotels.com
All reviewsperfect location to enjoymunicipal lotdelightful place to stayheart of downtownroom downstairscookiesthursday nightfarmers marketbed and breakfastwithin walking distancetwo blocksfirst flooredna valleyquiet at nightno elevatorthe entire staffgreat room
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We decided to stop in San Luis Obispo for a night during our drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles and tried the Garden Street Inn as it appears to be the only accommodation in downtown SLO – i.e. walking distance of the restaurants. We didn’t arrive until 7.30 but luckily they had rooms available and due to the late hour gave us their signature suite at a vastly reduced rate ($119 rather than $259). So based on this we were very happy with this B&B!

On a more objective note, it is a lovely place though certainly not for lovers of modern fare! It’s a Victorian guesthouse and decked out in a traditional style, being quite fussy and flowery. Our suite had a living area, with open fire, and a Jacuzzi bath – I believe all rooms have one or the other of the fire or Jacuzzi.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the inclusive breakfast tasty and fresh. It is only 5 minutes from the high street yet retains an air of peacefulness.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2007

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying in the Garden Street Inn for one night in March 2007. At $99 for the room for the night (walk in rate) we found it very good value. Paul greeted us with 2 complimentary glasses of wine. He showed us 2 available rooms of which we chose the Emerald Isle room – though the other room was just as nice. I think all of the rooms are decorated in a different style. Our room was on the ground floor but we didn't find it noisy at all. The bathroom was lovely with an old role top bath and shower. The teddy bear was a nice touch.

The hotel is in a perfect location right in the heart of town within walking distance of plenty of bars, shops and restaurants and is beautifully decorated in an old fashioned style. Paul was very friendly and helpful, as were the other staff we met. The whole place has a warm homely feel about it. The room didn't have a TV but that didn't matter to us. We had dinner in a restaurant nearby called Novo which was very nice also.

We will definitely stay in The Garden Street Inn again if lucky enough to visit SLO in the future.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dinosardines
Reviewed December 28, 2006

My girlfriend and I have stayed at a few B&B's and there is always something not-quite-right that detracts from the visit. Either the fixtures are dated, the place not the cleanest or the food not so hot. But the Garden Street Inn came closest to having it all - we had a wonderful room - The Field of Dreams - themed a bit like a baseball/sports motif (but not overdone) that was absolutely huge, with a big, comfortable bed and a big, clean modern bathroom where all the plumbing worked wonderfully (another pet peeve of ours when visiting these spots). The place itself is done like the period Victorian home that it is - all tastefully so- and very warm and welcoming. The staff was curteous and friendly (perhaps overly so), and we especially enjoyed the cookies hung as a bedtime treat on our door each night. The breakfast on the first morning was an absolute "miss", but the second morning's breakfast made up for it. Unfortunately, we missed the afternoon wine and cheese reception.

The Inn is located in downtown SLO-Town, and seems to be the only B&B so located. We booked our stay to coincide with the town's Thursday Night's Market - where the streeet one block off of Garden Street (where the Inn is located) is blocked off to auto traffic and local farmers (many of them organic) and local restaurants come out to sport their wares. It was a great scene (we went in December) but understand that its even more of a "happen' spot" when the weather is warmer. I would highly recommend the crepe booth for a crepe with banana and nutella (hold the whipped cream).

The Black Sheep was a neat neighborhood pub for a night cap - bringing together the likes of local Cal Poly students and older 30-somethings like me. There were lots of nice shops to peruse in the neighborhood - all within really easy walking distance - and a great used bookshop on Higuera.

Overall - a really nice, walkable city with the Inn in a perfect location to enjoy it.

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank docsquared
Reviewed August 11, 2006

Contrary to the review I saw posted recently this is a quaint well appointed bed and breakfast with all the charm and grace that you would expect. All the rooms are decorated differently and extremely comfortable. I enjoyed the deep old fashioned tubs and the goodies given every night before retiring. The breakfast was not only healthy but delicious (thank you Stephanie)and the afternoon reception never repetious in presentation. This is a great location for walking anywhere in San Luis Obispo. As a corporate visitor, the serene and quiet enviroment were a welcome change from the "cookie cutter" hotels I'm normally booked in. I will return again to enjoy the wonderful and warm surroundings and staff.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tamwa
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My 8yo son and I just returned from a two night stay at the Inn. First off, I have to say this was a very busy weekend in SLO and I literally got the last room in the last place in town I think. However, that's no excuse for charging $155.00 a night for what amounts to a large closet. The Inn itself is in a convenient location, but that also is one of the MAJOR problems. More on that later.

When I made the reservation I mentioned my son and never got the impression that children were not welcome, although when we arrived friday night I was greeted with "have you ever stayed here before?"...to which I replied, "No". I was then told, "well, ordinarially we don't allow children under 13". Not the worlds nicest greeting, but to this lady's credit she did treat us somewhat civially after that. They needn't have worried, we spent very little time there....except to sleep, and this is where the biggest drawback comes in. I can't speak for ALL the rooms, (which by the way were 3 to 4 times the size of ours) but nothing could prepare me for the cacophony of noises I was to be treated to all night. (for two nights). Located directly behind the Inn is a bank parking lot with two huge and very, very bright lights that shine all night into the rooms. This lot is a major staging area for the local college kids as they prepare to bar hop all night. So the yelling, car door slamming and general frivolity begins around 9:00 p.m and goes til the bars let out..about 3:00 am when most of the noises let up.

The Inn itself isn't horrible to look at, but is in no way that special either. Just your average old B&B with the requisite rickety furniture and inadequate plumbing/showers. The breakfast is just okay...nothing to write home about...in fact you could probably make it just as well at home and save yourself a lot of $$$. So, if you like these kinds of places I would recommend you look further for something better. Unless they try and police that parking lot, I don't know how they could ever get any return buisness....I certainly would never stay there again and I would never recommend it to anyone either.

• Stayed: April 2006