“great little place...but good be awesome with just a tweak.”
Review of Garden Street Inn

Garden Street Inn
Christchurch
“great little place...but good be awesome with just a tweak.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I were driving from San Francisco thru to Los Angeles with a stop on the way. We hadnt booked anywhere, we thought we would just find a town that we thought looked nice and find somewhere. We drove into San Luis Obispo and used Google to find a few places close...and ended up here.

From the moment we walked in the lady who was on the Reception desk was extremely pleasant, courteous and helpful. She had a room available and as my husband hauled in our 3 massive bags, small carry on bag and small day pack, I signed us in.

Being a bit cheeky, I did ask for the "Nice Guys discount" - after all, they hadnt made any effort to get us in the door, and we were there only one night...she obliged and knocked $10.00 off the rate..yay..thankyou.

I asked for recommendations on dinner places, she asked what type of dining experience we were after...I told her I was a Vegetarian, but husband wasnt....she came up with a few for us to choose....she had a copy of one places menu for us to look over.

Husband duly arrived in with all our bags...which she offered to help us with to get to our room...thankfully on the ground floor...when she saw the size of them, she decided we werent really going to get them into the room easily...so upgraded us to the Dollie McKeen suite..which was gorgeous.

the room had a massive bath in it, gas fire and plenty of room.
we headed off to Novo for dinner, which was a great choice..thanks to the Receptionist for letting us know about it.

Next morning, after a great sleep, no noise issues for us.. we were up for breakfast, which was a bit disappointing. The owner served breakfast, and a different receptionist was assisting. The lipstick on the coffee mug was a shame, the scrambled eggs werent the best and a I struggle with filter coffee.....but the juice was fine. We did however head to a local place for a better espresso and a croissant to tide us over.

A better home cooked breakfast would have made a huge difference to this place. As would an attentive host..seemed more interested in the receptionist than chatting to his guest. A really good clean in the room wouldnt hurt either...a bit of dust and a few grubby marks on the walls, nothing too serious, but its those little things that B&B's normally do extremely well in my opinion.

A great stay all the same...but a few things to improve..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hidden Hills, California, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Garden Street Inn in July, 2012. We were told by the Innkeeper, John, to park in a nearby parking lot and to put the Inn's business card on our dashboard. When we went checked out two days later, we had received a Parking Citation. When John was told of the situation he replied that he had told us to only park on the 2nd floor and not to park at a parking meter. The three of us were present when he told us where to park and he never mentioned anything other than giving us directions to the lot. When we checked out, he displayed a very poor attitude and took the Parking Citation from us saying that "he would take care of it". Yesterday, I received a Citation in the mail from the City of SLO indicating that the citation had not been paid by the Inn. I have written to the Inn directly but have yet to receive a reply from them. I am currently attempting to contact the owners of the property to advise them of the situation as I feel they should be aware of the issues at the Inn. If the issue is resolved prior to August 26th (the due date of the citation), I will update this review.
I recommend giving serious thought before booking at this Inn.

Room Tip: The front room is too noisy with street traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Debbie S
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay with everything from the unique rooms, updated but with original charm, to the familiar athmosphere. Absolutely worth a visit and a deviation. SLO also a nice town . At total- our visit in SLO and Garden Street Inn was a very pleasant surprise and we can absolute recommend it to future visitors. Family Hellgren (5 persons) from Sweden

• Stayed July 2012
Santa Barbara
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Garden Street Inn. We had stayed there 3-4 years ago and enjoyed it so much that we decided to go back for a quick get-away. We did not know that the inn had changed ownership. While the innkeeper and his staff were very friendly the inn was not the same. We were looking forward to the afternoon wine hour with other guests but were told that they no longer offered that. Okay. Please update your home video page that shows a spread of wine and cheese. The cleanliness of the rooms, public and private, was not good. At one time we used the downstairs public bathroom. The floor was dirty and papertowels were overflowing from the wastepaper basket. It doesn't look like the vacuum cleaner gets much use. We asked to use wineglasses for wine that we bought and were given dirty glasses. Many details have been overlooked. On both days of our stay we took our books and wine into the library area to read and to enjoy our wine and maybe meet other travelers. The first day the innkeeper was making dinner for himself and some friends. They were enjoying themselves in the kitchen with loud conversation and music. Dinner was taken out to the front porch where everyone coming and going had to walk by. The second afternoon the innkeeper again had a large group of friends (maybe family) that came to see him and the inn. They were back and forth hanging out in the hallway and front porch. This lasted for about an hour or so. They left and came back. Again, very loud conversations were going back and forth. It was not enjoyable for us to sit there and listen to them. We travel frequently and always try to stay in B & B's. It's a fun way to meet other people. We understand when sometimes other guests can be loud but never the innkeeper. Breakfast was good, though very sparse. The chef was very friendly and we enjoyed talking to him. All in all we are sad to say that we will not return. It's a shame because it was once a great place to stay with a great location. There doesn't seem to be any pride of ownership now compared to what it once was. It's not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rick S
Torrance, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at The Garden Street Inn because they happen to have an available room whereas all the other pet-friendly places were already booked due to graduation weekend. The rate was pretty steep but we didn't have a choice. We therefore expected a clean room and a pleasant breakfast at least. The chintzy comforter that covered the bed along with the matching decorative pillows looked like it needs to be dry-cleaned. I saw an insect crawling on top of the comforter so I swatted it and it left a mark there. I then checked the back of both decorative pillows and saw stains there so I removed the comforter and pillows and stored them in the closet because I can't imagine using them in that condition. I saw dust bunnies on top of both curtain railings. I noticed that the box spring has a hole on the side so I wasn't impressed with that at all. For the price they charge, how much does it cost to replace that old box spring. Our room has a t.v. but it was placed so high up on the wall that we have to sit in bed then look up at an uncomfortable angle. The next morning, we sat down for breakfast but waited a while for the chef who is also the server to even acknowledge us. He finally took our order but before we can finish speaking, he walked away and disappeared into the kitchen. We waited for a long time for the food and when it finally came, he gave each of us a small plate with a piece of French Toast with some grapes. He disappeared into the kitchen again for a long time and once in a while he will poke his head out to check on something? We were trying to catch his eye but again, he didn't check on us or tell us if he's getting the quiche ready or what. Everything was in slow motion there and breakfast serving was skimpy! After a long wait, he finally served each of a small slice of quiche in a small plate. We were getting really frustrated with the service at this point but can't get a hold of the chef because he was buzzing in and out of the dining room like a bumblebee without making any eye contact with us. We noticed that he spent a long time chatting with other guests about sports, etc. but he ignored us completely. The guests can get our own juice or coffee at one end of the room but the small juice container was soon empty and the chef/server didn't refill it because he was busy chatting with other guests, while my husband and I were hungrily waiting for our food and being ignored. The following morning, my husband didn't want to eat breakfast there anymore but I convinced him to give it one more chance. We went for breakfast promptly because we have to visit the Hearst Castle. The same chef/ server was super slow once again and he didn't even get the order right. The serving was skimpy and it took him forever to serve a slice of French Toast! My husband really had it this time so when the chef/server came out from the kitchen again to tell us it will take sometime for the next course (whatever it was), my husband told him to forget it because we're in a hurry and can't wait anymore. On the third morning of our stay, the usual chef/server was off for the day so John the innkeeper prepared breakfast which was pretty basic. It didn't taste that good but at least he was efficient. Conclusion: We're never going back to this place again. This is the worse breakfast experience we have so far. For the price you pay, it is so not worth it. We felt aggravated by the whole breakfast experience from the chef/server who needs to learn to be more efficient, multi-task, and most of all, learn people skills. My husband and I called this place "The Bed and Skimpy Breakfast."

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank CubandPanda
UK
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stumbled upon Garden Street Inn while looking for a hotel. The rate quoted to us included a cooked breakfast and parking, and seemed very reasonable.
The room was large, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was also quite big (not huge) and clean.
The atmosphere of the hotel was lovely. It was centrally located and only a few minuets walk from the bars and restaurants of San Luis Obispo.
The breakfast we were served was excellent and the hosts were lovely.
I loved the history of the building and all the old cuttings hung up on the walls.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends. My only regret is that we didn’t stay here another night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pismo Beach
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The Garden Street Inn was the perfect place to stay for a family wedding. The Innkeeper, John, was so very helpful, he responded to every request. Since our family and friends occupied the entire inn, we were able to host pre-wedding events at the inn. Everything was perfect. Everyone had a lovely time, the location to downtown is so handy, and very close to our wedding venue.
The decor matched the vintage theme of the wedding festivities.
Just a perfect weekend.

Room Tip: All the suites are especially nice
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family