“Very cool building, really nice Inn Keeper, no problems”
Review of Garden Street Inn

Garden Street Inn
Reviewed April 17, 2012

It has been 3 years since I have visited SLO. Since I have been back I have stayed at several hotels but this one is my favorite so far. As for rooms, I have stayed in three different rooms and I enjoyed them all for different reasons. I love the claw foot tubs and the water gets super hot. They are kind of tricky to understand at first so beware, I burned myself a few times. First I stayed in the Moon Valley, then Dollie McKeen then the Emerald Isle. I love how big Dollie McKeen is and the bathtub is luxurious. There is an interesting story about Dollie McKeen on the website too. I love how Emerald Isle has it's own rear entrance and patio. The Inn Keeper John is super nice and helped me with more than one project that came up during my stay. I bought a bike to cruise around on and he busted out the tools and tuned it up for me in about 10 minutes. I decided to stay in SLO a lot longer than originally anticipated because of the warm hospitality I received. I wish the price was just a little lower.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I had previously written a very critical review of this Inn. I was then contacted by the Innkeeper with an apology and was informed all issues had been remedied. I wanted to let other readers know of this gesture.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann L
Reviewed January 9, 2012

As everyone else has said, the Garden Street Inn has the best location in SLO. However, the service didn't even make that worthwhile. Here were our issues:
Day 1: the garbage wasn't emptied and the toilet hadn't been flushed when they cleaned the room (prior to our check in), 2 lights were burnt out, and the shower handle broke off
Day 2: Breakfast consisted of soggy eggs and barely cooked french toast. We also didn't receive clean towels until after 5pm (when we were literally begging for them because we were mean to meet some friends AT 5pm)
Day 3: We left at 6am
Prior to this review, I called Garden Street Inn and left two messages for th owner/manager to call me in an attempt to resolve these issues. He never returned my calls.
I understand the building is old, and that is part of the charm but it is no excuse for the inability to maintain the place to it's full potentional. Rates are good, but not good enough for this garbage.
I recommend you chose one of the other much better suited B&Bs in town - although you may have to walk an extra 4 blocks (just works off all the yummy food & wine available to you or justifies another glass ;o)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TaTa85
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Suprised to read some of the negative reviews here....... I will try to redress the balance.

We had no idea what to expect in SLO - was one of the few places on our list that we picked based upon convenience of location (we were heading to Hearst Castle the day after), rather than any interest in visiting the town.

Firstly for the town - we were fortunate that our plans fell on arriving in SLO on a Thursday. This is market night, so up and down the high street were plenty of people, plenty of beer, and plenty of food. A really nice feel to the town, and our biggest suprise location of our trip.

To the hotel.......... it appears very old, but not in a dated way. It was clean, had wireless, our room (The Lovers) had a huge bath, and the breakfast was really good. We did not feel that it needed decorating at all. Really nice touches with the detail of the decorating.

We needed some things printing for trips we had coming up that we had booked whilst travelling, and even though the manager was busy with kitchen work, they assisted us and got our information printed.

The only reason for not getting a 5 from us was the parking. Unfortunately there was no on-site parking, although there was room out the front to unload/load the luggage. The parking was in the multi storey car park round the corner. As we arrived just as the market was starting it meant we had to park at the top, which was a bit of a pain.

However due to the great location, and everything else it had going for it, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fats25
Reviewed October 15, 2011

The good news: the location is great. Bad news: it's seen better days. Breakfast is what you could get at Denny's, it desperately needs a coat of paint, we never saw the owners and I wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ch1225
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Really expensive ( $218 ) Sub Denny's breakfast, small beds, dirty carpets, not real clean, tiny little shower, charming but not real useful and a little loud. Walking distance to the center of town but I would'nt stay here again. Just paying for old is not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pacificstar
Reviewed September 11, 2011

A fine old inn is marred by being located off the main drag of a college town. On a weekend night it will sound like you are trying to sleep while a game of beer pong is happening in your room. It's a shame because otherwise this is a very nice place. I just could not wait to get home to get some sleep.

• Stayed: September 2011