“Somewhat Inadequate”

San Luis Inn & Suites
Ottawa, Canada
“Somewhat Inadequate”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was rather disappointed with this hotel because I was tired from a long trip, yet to find out the hotel was somewhat inadequate.

I was unsatisfied with the the room's cleanliness. The room smelled awful. It smelled like poop because of the toilet, so, our family had to switch to another room. The room we switched to had 2 dead bugs on the floor, so we had to wear our shoes in the room. However, I do say that the lavatory was rather elegant looking and flawless. The bed feels rather comfortable but nonetheless average. The staff was polite and helpful.

I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, unless this hotel manages this cleanliness issue. Otherwise, this hotel would be a nice place to stay in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Actually, parking is a commodity here as it is everywhere in SLO. My lady friend and I came on business as I got a new job and had been on the road all night before. This was the cheapest place on Hotels.com. For 4 nights... Check in Tuesday, Check out Saturday we paid $344.

There are less expensive places within walking distance. The best thing I can say about this place is that they do have guest laundry machines. There's a 24 hour Jack in the Box (fast food) across the street and a Taco Bell across the catty corner.

The quality of the room, bath, beds, TV, is very good. Our A/C unit wasn't working properly and the owner actually came in with a new controller, removing the dial-in and replacing it with a digital controller that evening and it worked fine.

The two rooms next door to us were rented out to a contractor who employs a specific majority of non-union labor who were tramping out the motel. It was obvious this contractor had two crew cabs and other privately owned vehicles that used up more than their share of the already limited parking.

These guys were clearly sleeping four or more persons per room with their presence emphasized by: men gathered in the parking lot; several large boxes of cheap beer; open doorways and loud music. My lady friend and I are actually seniors and we considered such abuse of accommodations by these guys to be too unbecoming of an establishment which caters to families.

That said... I hope the family who owns this establishment, reads my review and will not allow our experience to occur again in the future. I think they are good hardworking people and their client's deserve a better experience. Other reviewers notes about parking and noise support my review.

Room Tip: Go just a few more miles to Morro Bay... Much nicer location and less expensive.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Should have saved my money and slept in a tent. The door on the mini fridge was broken. The dresser was missing a handle. The bed did not have fitted sheets just a top sheet that was placed on the mattress. The comforter had cigarette burns. The picture tube on the tv is going out. The wall in the bathroom is coming undone. And the room smelled like cat litter. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Cheap but not clean and very noisy.
Find another spot!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here two nights over Memorial Day Weekend. The room was clean, but a little run down. There was duct tape holding a plastic cover over the box springs, but the bed itself was comfortable enough. Considering almost everything was sold out this weekend, I was glad to find this one. Parking was VERY tight and we had to park on the street the first night because there weren't any available spaces. The continental breakfast was muffins cut in quarters, coffee and orange juice. Pretty sparse.

Overall, it was not the worst hotel I've ever been in. I slept well and the place was clean. If you're looking for something fancy, go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

very good view of hills complimentary breakfsast and coffeee and cakes in afternoon far from the town not many amenities except service station excellent porter service

Room Tip: ask for front facing room on upper floors
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Alameda, CA
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Paid an exorbitant price for a one night stay at a mediocre establishment. WiFi did not work and no discount offered. Apparently my laptop was at fault. I have traveled with this laptop on many trips with no such problem. Phone also did not work, but after walking to the office twice, the phone was replaced.
My son's description of this place is "janky"!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family