“Nice hotel, fantastic staff.”

San Luis Creek Lodge
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Moorpark, California
“Nice hotel, fantastic staff.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were here over Cal Poly Open House weekend in April, and I can't say enough about the staff. Some previous reviews made me wonder what kind of service we would get, but they couldn't have been more helpful. Our son was supposed to be staying somewhere else, but became ill and ended up staying with us. No problem, gave us extra bedding and cookies. We had a two-night reservation but had to check out a day early because he was sick. Not only did they not charge us for leaving early, but packed a bag of snacks for the trip home.
We had a king room with fireplace in the Craftsman building. Spacious room, nicely decorated, comfy bed, quiet. Much nicer than the other hotels along Monterey Street. With our son attending Cal Poly in the fall, we will definitely be back and make this our regular hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you so much for writing this review. I am glad we were able to be flexible in the circumstances. A lot of Cal Poly families stay with us, our proximity to the campus helps. We look forward to seeing you on future visits.

I hope your son is doing well and is fully recovered!

June

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Nice large, clean well equippped rooms and ours was quiet. Very friendly, helpful staff. Bit more than the 15 min walk to downtown that we were told, but not far enough to make taking the car worthwhile. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. It is very nice to hear good comments about the staff. We try to do all we can to create a welcoming and comfortable place for our guests to enjoy.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to post this review, we really appreciate it!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I spent one night at San Luis Creek Lodge on a vacation/business trip and really liked the place. The hotel was very clean and quiet. The room was very nicely decorated and was a pleasant change from the cookie-cutter chains. The price was a great value and I booked based on Trip Advisor rating. They just need to start their breakfast earlier

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. I understand that sometimes our guests need to leave early, particularly when on business. Ideally we hope to have all guests for our full breakfast but we do have 'to go' breakfast bags here if you are around when our gatehouse is open. We are also very happy to put some items together for you the evening before your departure to have in your room ready for an early departure. We need to make sure all of our guests are aware of these options in future. I thank you for that comment, it helps us to improve our service.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time,

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Enjoyed two nights here. Spacious room with gas fireplace. Staff was very helpful. We were leaving early one morning for kayak trip before breakfast open, and manager raced around to prepare some excellent bags of pastries, fruit and drinks for us, and found some towels for us to take kayaking. Cute decor with tudor theme in our building. Convenient to the downtown area which is about a mile away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad I was around and able to provide a 'Breakfast to Go' for you. I hope you had fun at the beach and we would love to see you all in the future if you visit the area again...there's a lot to do here for the whole family!

Thanks again.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here in early April. One of my favorite spots in SLO. Close to Cal Poly and a good walk to downtown. Comfortable bed and the breakfast is worthwhile and is included with your stay. Yes, it seems spendy, but after checking the prices of other motels that offer less value, I won't stay anyplace else on SLO.

• Stayed April 2013
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do try to offer value to our guests. I am glad you appreciated our breakfast. We have made some additions to our offerings recently and I am very happy that they have been well received. Please come back and see us again, our lovely town has lots to offer!
Glendale, CA
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just stayed at the San Luis Creek Lodge for one night and was very happy with my stay. As a solo female traveler it was a good option.

The location is right off of the 101 next to the Apple Farm and other lodging choices. While you can walk into the downtown area, it's about a mile from the two restaurants I like so I drove into town. (The only lodging option I have found that is right in the middle of downtown is the Garden Street Inn which is a decent B&B but the parking is a couple of blocks away.)

For the price I think it's a great place. The service was great-very nice and helpful staff. I stayed in the Plantation building. The room was a good size, had a nice King bed-on the firm side which I prefer, and all the amenities you need: free wifi, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, DVD, HBO, nice bath products, parking near your room. The decor was nice enough and the bathroom was very elegant and spacious. (I did get a peek inside the Londonderry building during my tour of available rooms. It was a dark medieval decor-kind of too much for me personally.) The Plantation building which is in the back of the property is the best option for more privacy and no street noise. I did hear some frogs at night from the creek below which was pleasant. The large window looked out onto tree tops.

The only negative was that the blinds were very heavy and hard to operate. There was a note attached saying "don't raise the blinds" (?!?!) but the staff person who showed me the room said I could. A room as nice as this should have working blinds! I did not have the included breakfast so I can't comment on that. Aside from the blinds, it was a lovely room and I highly recommend the inn.

Room Tip: The Plantation building which is in the back of the property is the best option for more privacy and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We know that San Luis Obispo has many great options. We try to provide the best service possible and appreciate your comments. Our location is a little unusual and the Plantation Building, set back from the street is a great choice for privacy and for a quiet stay. I am glad you enjoyed the Frog's chorus, that is something we have no control over! I appreciate your mention of the blinds and will definitely look into that as soon as possible.
We hope to see you again, and thank you once more!
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I loved our quiet, pretty room at the back of the property. The bathroom was one of the prettiest I've experienced in our travels. Breakfast in the charming dining room was a treat. My husband was very impressed with the coffee cake! If I had any complaints, it would be that the towels were very thin and not in keeping with the luxurious feel of the surroundings. Also, the bar fridge, which is hidden inside the bedside table, had a very loud compressor that woke us several times in the night.
This was our first trip to SLO and we WILL BE BACK to test another room in this special spot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay so much. I appreciate your comments about the towels and am happy to report that we have just placed a large order for linens. I am sure you will be happy with our choice. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Please call if you need any information and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks again!