“You won't get points, but you won't care”

San Luis Creek Lodge
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not a chain, so if you are hoping for free stays this is not for you. However, breakfast is delicious, rooms are spacious, intricately designed, and clean. The price is very reasonable for what you get. And the WiFi is ACTUALLY fast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajh2m02

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during our recent trip to California after seeing that it was listed as a recommended place to stay in the Rough Guide.
We got our room at a great discounted price thanks to some bartering by my husband but the room was definitely worth the $159 that we should have paid.
The room was really well presented with an extremely large and comfortable bed. Quality bed linens and furnishings. Coffee maker in a room is always a bonus! Bathroom was also of a good size.
A good breakfast was provided in the inn's breakfast room. It was continental style and there was plenty to choose from. We were also offered scrambled eggs and waffles.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you can deal with less than stellar customer service, want a place that's not your typical Marriott or Hilton, and don't mind weird interior design, try it!

The office crew looks to be a bunch of college kids running the front office. There is no one there at night. There doesn't seem to be much communication from one shift to the next, which ended up being incredibly frustrating.

When we checked in, we heard this non-stop loud gurgling noise that sounded like a bathtub draining on the floor above us. It sounded like we were in the pipe! I called the gal at the check in desk, and she said, "You are here for 3 days...I think you should move to another room." I asked about just having someone come and see if it was fixable, but the "handyman" was off that day. I went back to the office, and was given a key to look at another room. I walked in, and it had not been cleaned. I went back, the girl apologized, and after consulting her computer screen, gave me a different key. That room was either not cleaned, or the occupant was still there (the TV was on, the bed had been slept in, and the light was on in the bathroom with the door closed.) Again, she apologized, and was not really sure what to do. (The cleaning folks were gone, too...)

I said we'd keep the room we had, and asked her to just have someone look at the gurgling issue. She said she would, and we never heard another word from anyone about it. In fact, I couldn't ever get any information on whether anyone had even looked into the issue. The gurgling continued to be an issue for the 3 nights we were there, but I turned on a white noise program on my phone, and we slept just fine.

This property is made up of 3 themed buildings. We stayed in the Craftsman building. The king bed was comfy, but the room was very full of furniture. Fortunately, it was a spacious room, so there was room for our luggage on the floor. The additional rooms I checked out were in the Londonderry building, and the rooms looked very dark and cramped to me. The Plantation building was supposedly fully booked during our stay, but I never saw more than one car parked there....although there WAS an HVAC company truck parked back there every day....????

On the plus side, the breakfast was good. The breakfast room is nothing fancy, in fact...well, let's just say they could use a professional interior decorator that has experience in the hospitality business.

I'm not sure about this place. It has some corny charm, but surely there are better places to stay in SLO....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank migolfergirl
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Half way from SF to LA via the PCH, we decided to stay overnight here. Squeezed in between a Best Western and Super 8 motel, the location is a bit odd. However, rooms were comfortable although attempts to put everything in room, like microwave and fridge yielded a mis-matched and cluttered appearance. Beds were comfortable and shower great. Timed "heat-lamp" light near shower had non-heat bulb:odd. Biggest complaint was the included b'fast. Although they did make either waffles or scrambled eggs to order, conspicuously missing was any fresh fruit. In the heart of California farm country this is inexcusable. Suggestion to management: drop the meal, lower the price and just call yourself a motel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

The breakfast is great. The rooms are good sized but way overdone. The staff is incredibly helpful. Good one night stop on a Rt 1 road trip on a street full of motels and a short distance from the downtown.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Susan M R
Reviewed October 20, 2012

A few years back when my oldest daughter was at Cal Poly, I stayed here frequently. I recently came back to visit San Luis Obispo with my youngest daughter & wasn't as thrilled as my previous stays. We tried to check in a little early (1 hour) as my daughter wasn't feeling well & nothing was ready (Check in is not until 4) Although the rooms are nice & the breakfast in the morning is a nice amenity, I think they need to overhaul their check-in process & double check that their rooms are ready & nothing is missing. We did not have a "do not disturb" sign & were disturbed a few times. The light in the hallway did not work & it was pitch black trying to navigate the stairway at night! Our room made a loud noise when the air conditioner is turned on.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lcwickstrom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My mother and I came across this gem of a hotel while traveling to Southern California. It is centrally located within walking distance of town among a number of other hotels. I physically checked out 5 local hotels (all within a $10 price variance) along this section of hotels and was blown away by the difference. While this hotel does not look like much from the front it was fabulous. Each of the 3 buildings (all with a differnt theme) is virtually new and extreamly fresh. We had a room with a stone faced fireplace. Some rooms have a view of the mountains. The staff was very helpful, knowledgable and curtious. If you are looking for a place to stay in SLO this is it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family