“Nice but a little disappointed in San Luis Creek Lodge”

San Luis Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Centennial, Colorado
“Nice but a little disappointed in San Luis Creek Lodge”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I always wanted to stay at San Luis Creek Lodge after reading the positive reviews on tripadvisor. My daughters both attend Cal Poly, so I make frequent trips to San Luis Obispo and have stayed at many hotels in town. Recently we booked 2 nights in the Craftsman building (2 queens for ~$250/night), and were a little disappointed. The service was good, although we preferred the afternoon/evening staff to the morning. The room was well furnished and comfortable, but was showing some age and had very dim lighting. The bathroom was large and beautiful, but there was a constant noise that sounded like water in the pipes - we thought it was coming from the Best Western pool next door. The property is very small and parking was always a challenge. There is no pool or jacuzzi, and the fitness center consisted of a treadmill and bike located in the main building upstairs in full view of the dining area, with very little ventilation. Breakfast was good, with fresh baked pastries, juice, coffee, sausage, dry cereal, and eggs made to order. We were encouraged to bring our food back to the room since the dining room was very small, but it was difficult juggling the heavy plates, drinking glasses, and silverware on the tray. I would recommend providing lightweight paper goods as an option. I believe San Luis Creek Lodge is intended for couples as a romantic getaway, (although for $250/night I would expect a hot tub and better view). For us, we prefer accommodations with more amenities (and less cost) and will stick with the Quality Suites or Holiday Inn for future visits to SLO. One note: my husband noticed a charge on our VISA card to 'Aung San' which made him suspicious and he almost cancelled our credit card. I checked with the front desk and found out that the owner's name is Aung O'o. I would recommend specifying San Luis Creek Lodge on the credit card statement.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Campbell, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

As a real life English person, I find it amusing when I go to themed "English" places here in the US. They are almost always nothing like England! This place was English themed, the room we stayed in was made to look like some kind of medieval castle, with tapestries on the walls and a grand fireplace. Overall, it wasn't as cringe-worthy as most themed places, although it was verging on Disney-esque. So, despite the strange theming which is a personal preference, the hotel itself was immaculately clean, the room spacious and the breakfast satisfactory. I don't necessarily think I would stay here again, but I have no reason not to recommend it to others. The only note I would make is to the owners - the Faux-English block of rooms has been misnamed: Londonderry is in Northern Ireland...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sonora, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed in Plantation 606. We had booked 3 nights to celebrate my husbands Birthday -Room was lovely. Back window was open to green "creek" area, so we could leave it open and still have privacy.
BE AWARE: This property is sandwiched in between two other hotels! There really is no open space and hardly any view to speak of. Parking is very difficult if the hotel is full. No pool. Breakfast room is very small and cramped. My advice:
If you are in San Luis, there are so many lovely locations with much better ambiance.! If I could have cancelled and rebooked somewhere else, I would have Do not settle for San Luis Creek Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you check in. The vary wildly!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaryKay111
SanLuisCreekLodge, General Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We appreciate your feedback. We are always happy to make improvements in the areas where we are able. One of our most recent endeavors is to create a more functional space in our dining room by rearranging our buffet tables and to upgrade our seating arrangements. We hope the next time you visit San Luis Obispo, you will want to experience our little piece of luxury.
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 10, 2012

5 of us stayed three nights in 2 rooms and really loved our experience.

Room 1: King bed, large bathroom, fireplace, large TV, rocking chair. 5 of us hung out there each evening to watch TV and it was smallish but AOK for us. My dad has a very hard time walking any distance, so it was perfect that he could park the car right out in front of this room and be in the door 10 steps later.

Room 2: 2 queen beds, two large chairs, tons of space, very large bathroom / washing area. Our boys hooked up their x-box, the flat screen TV was great, we had a fireplace (fake as is the other one).

I don't eat breakfast, just drink coffee. Their coffee is very weak, but that's why I bring my own. The breakfast made everyone happy - different breads, rolls, morning cake-type things, sausage, eggs, juice, milk, cereal, fruit.

The staff was very kind and called right away when they thought we'd left a power cord in the room and offered to mail it to us (turns out it wasn't ours). This hotel is located near almost all the others - right across from Sands Inn, easy drive or 20 min walk downtown.

We'd definitely stay here again. We got a AAA discount which helped a lot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nicely decorated with homey touches like hot chocolate, tea or coffee in your room. Large bathroom, flat screen tv and fireplace! Comfy bed. Great breakfast!

Room Tip: No elevator so you have to lug your luggage up the stairs if you are on the second floor. Stayed in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Rafael, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Found this place right here on TripAdvisor. Stayed in the Plantation Building in the back of the property, #204. Very quiet, very clean, very good rate. If you work for a govt. make sure to the the govt rate. Also do AAA. My only gripe would be that when I came back late on evening (12:30) there was no parking in the entire lot (so I parked where the cleaning staff parked their little rig). So that was odd, it's supposed to be 1 car per room, so somebody fibbed! And then, well, how do I say this, the walls are thin... So, maybe pack ear plugs? Or hey, keep this in mind if you are showing appreciation for your special friend ;) It was all good! A GREAT place!

Room Tip: Go for the Plantation rooms. They are off the main road, back up against the creek. Very quiet. Seri...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AngelaDelPonte
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to stay here as part of our recent road trip from LA to San Fran. We were delighted with our decision as this gave us much more than we expected - best things about San Luis Creek Lodge are the HUGE bathrooms, excellent breakfast and comfortable beds. In fact we had the best nights sleep out of our entire trip! Also of note, if you take a 5 minute trip from the motel you will find Splash Cafe, which is excellent and brilliant value for money. Word of warning - there is not much to do in San Luis Obispo! Having said that, we knew it was going to be a very quiet town, but it was a needed stop over before the long haul to Monterey. Delighted we stayed here - you should do the same!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple