“Enjoyed our tasting at this attractive winery”

Claiborne & Churchill Winery
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The area around San Luis Obispo in California has quite a few wineries in a concentrated geographical area - so it is really fun to drive around and do tastings at a few. This was one that was recommended to us by another winery we visited, and we were not disappointed. We really like white wines, and they had a very nice dry Riesling and a dry Gewurztraminer , as well as several other wines to taste. The tasting is $10, but it was still enough for three people to split and everyone get a taste. If you buy a bottle of wine, the fee is waived. We enjoyed visiting this small winery.

1  Thank ILuvEngland
There are newer reviews for Claiborne & Churchill Winery

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I first went to this tasting room a few years back. I don't drink much white wine, and stick to the pinot noirs. They have been consistently good, as they were on my recent visit. The hostess became overwhelmed with a large family group after she poured my first tasting. A young man came out to assist and poured the second pinot. We had a nice chat. Since I had only the two pinots, he waived the tasting fee. I had a bottle with dinner that night from the restaurant wine list.

Unlike PhotoBOP, I go to tasting rooms primarily for the wine, not the architecture or the view, although they certainly can enhance the experience. I must disagree with PhotoBop that the tasting room lacks visual interest and charm. I'm a fan of old school minimalist tasting rooms adjacent to the barrel room or fermenting tanks. If PhotoBOP went around the corner to the barrel room, there's some charm there. The folks pouring when I was there were both charming and friendly. The "younger bleach-blond woman" you disliked so much probably had had all she could take of your superior and condescending attitude which comes through loud and clear in your review; and everyone around you was probably happy to see you leave. I know that I got tired of your condescending snootiness just reading your review.

Memo to PhotoBOP--go to Darioush on the Silverado Trail just north of Napa, pay $35.00 to taste some miniscule pours of four nice but highly overpriced wines, which pays for the pricey architecture, building, and grounds that you like so much, but has nothing to do with the quality of the wine. I'm sure it'll be more to your liking.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Claiborne & Churchill was the least impressive of the four wineries we visited in the San Luis Obispo/Edna Valley area. The tasting room and overall property is lacking in the visual interest and charm we have come to expect after visits to beautiful wineries in Napa Valley and central California. The tasting room is only steps from a busy highway. Our wine steward –- a younger bleach-blond woman –- seemed either poorly trained or burnt out. The way she loudly barked “That’ll be $10 for the tasting!” was rude and unprofessional. Other wineries in the same SLO area offer superior settings, panoramic views, tastier wines, and more professional and pleasant staff: Tolosa Winery, Baileyana Winery, and Saucelito Canyon Vineyards.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Came here with friends who belong to their wine club. Wine tasting is $10 per person and they are plentiful with their tastings. They have a good selection of wines with many different varieties.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We came in on the last day of an older gentleman whos name escapes me. He was moving to Fullerton to be with his family. He was very entertaining and attentive. The wines were good and the tasting was a good experience. Dove chocolate with our port was great. The bathrooms were clean and they have many wine barrels stacked inside a vaulted tasting room. Got a lesson on the rice fiber insulation in the walls also, lol. Many things contribute to a good wine tasting experience other than wine. The gentleman I'm sure is an asset that they will miss.