“Ron Melbourne Aust”
Review of Los Padres Motel

Los Padres Motel
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great little hotel, not far from the town centre of San Luis Obispo. Arrived on a Thurs evening and we were able to make it to the farmers market which was a highlight, great food and great atmosphere in the main street. Our room rate was cheap and it was clean and comfortable. The manager and staff were friendly and helpful and we would certainly recommend this motel to any of our friends and family. There is also a great place to eat breakfast right next door.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ron B

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This little motel has a cheery blue and terracotta exterior with charming touches like hand-painted tiles and courtyard fountain. Staff member was not cordial over the phone, but very friendly in person. Our rate was cheap ($85) and the room size reflected that -- very small but adequate. Great location, but street traffic was noisy. Little drawbacks were annoying: burnt out lightbulb, very tiny bars of soap, no liner for ice bucket (we were told they were washed daily instead), and the hot water sink faucet was ridiculously loose. All in all, a good price but don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ldehayes_12
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Room was clean but dated. Appeared to have been decorated recently. Thin curtains did not keep out the light. The view from both windows in the room was awful a wall from one and a wall and a rusted car out of the other! On a positive note was not too long a walk in to San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SheilaLiverpool
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Firstly I'd heartily recommend this hotel simply for great value and for being a quick walk to downtown San Luis. The rooms are humble but charming and clean. The manager was extremely helpful and reassuring with a problem I had (which had nothing to do with the motel). There simply isn't anything to complain about the Los Padres Motel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Hudstar78
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We came upon Los Padres after a long day's drive through Big Sur. We decided to give this place a go after recalling that I read some positive reviews on this place and because we were exhausted and needed a place to stay:).

The grounds of the motel was clean and well-kept. I think the owners and their family live on the motel grounds in the house attached to the front office. The check-in was fine. The front desk lady was friendly and gave us a second-floor room as per our request. We paid about $100 plus tax for the room, but it was a Friday night and they were anticipating a "busy weekend" (I don't know if they just say this just to get us to book).

The room itself had a queen bed, microwave, mini fridge and tube tv. Although it was clean, it was also clearly very dated judging by its decor. Because the room had floral coverings and dark green carpet, it wasn't somewhere I felt it was clean enough to walk around barefoot. I always think these types of decors are selected to hide old stains, etc.

The bathroom was small, but sufficient. There was no counter space. We had to put our toiletries on the windowsill or the towel rack. There was only a shower-no tub. The highlight of this room was probably the strong water pressure of the shower. The water was hot and powerful. The bathroom also came with some small toiletries-soap and a "conditioning shampoo". I presumed the conditioning shampoo was like a 2 in 1, but it really sucked and I would not recommend using this because it left large pieces of white residue in my hair. I had to rewash my hair the next day.

Another highlight: they had strong wifi. My old Blackberry could pick up a signal wherever I was in the room. I was even able to play radio off of it.

The location was not bad. It was about a 10 to 15 minutes walk from the centre of the town. Not a problem during the day, but at night, the streets were quite desolate to the point it definitely felt a bit longer than the actual 10-15 minutes it took to walk back to our rooms.

Los Padres had it's small charms. The lemon tree in the courtyard was cute. The building was also nice in that its designed in a spanish-colonial way.

Room Tip: The room is probably not worth the $100 it charges on the weekends, stay on a weekday!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucianne
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Great location. Downtown is walkable, although not a short walk. Certainly worth the walk if you're planning on having several beers. This is a safe town. I saw ZERO "undesirables" on my walk to and from the motel. Motel is good clean simple accommodations. Wireless Internet worked just fine. There was a handy small refrigerator. The TV was a small older tube version, and there is no air conditioning, which you should keep in mind if it's hot out. There is a ceiling fan, but it takes quite a while to cool down the room after peak daytime heat. There are several covered parking spots available, which is also nice if the sun is beating down. If you're not picky about luxury, this place is just right for price, location, and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Upstairs may provide you with better ventilation.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Roger911
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We arrived after a long drive through the Big Sur. I used the around-me app on my iPhone and stumbled upon this motel. A lovely inn with bright orange colors. What a warm and welcoming place!
The gentleman who greeted us was very nice, and the room was just perfect! Nice, very clean, simple, with everything one would need.
After spending $1000 for two nights in San Francisco, this place was MORE than just perfect.

The price was unbeatable. And slo is charming.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple