“A place to stay”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
los angeles
“A place to stay”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I checked in shortly before 1:30 pm after an invigorating walking to the location from the train station. No pleasantries ... front desk staff person just gave me my key to the room (upstairs) , verified my ID, and swiped my credit card per the stated cost when I booked the room online. That mechanical welcome was just a bit off-putting for me, especially after what already felt like a long day for me.

The room (standard non-smoking queen bed) was fine. It just felt really warm and stuffy when I opened the door so I kept the door open for at least 10-15 min. or so to let it the cool autumn breeze.

There was a walk-in closet with iron and board but no hangers.

The bathroom with stall shower was clean. The window gave a view of a parking lot but there was a glimpse of the mountains as well. The view outside gave me a way to gauge the weather (it was raining the day after).

There was a separate corner for the vanity and on top were an ice bucket as well as small electric fan. I didn't use either. I basically used it for extra space.

There were drawers where I put my overnight things. A box TV was attached on an adjustable wall stand. A reference for TV/cable channels was provided.

There was a round table and two chairs near the door as the sitting area. There was a hanging light with a switch above the table.

There was a corner stand with drawers for a lamp. There was no alarm clock/radio as stated on the website. I didn't request for one although it would have been nice if that was supplied as advertised.

The bed was fine. I slept comfortably. Yes, the bedspread was a subdued brown color but I was fine with it for warmth.

There was an old wall heater. I was not sure if it was centrally controlled because I did not touch it. It was cold the following morning but when I returned to the room after getting breakfast at a nearby cafe, it was on, which made the room feel stuffy again.

There was a ceiling fan and light so I just turned the fan on if I needed air.

Overall, I was grateful for the lodging. It was simple but adequate for my needs on a quick visit to San Luis Obispo.

By the way, they have information if you want to order in meals that will be delivered outside your door. I did not use it because I preferred being outside to explore sights and food options.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank blgrn8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manchester
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The location is great with a 5 minute walk into SLO. Car parking can get a bit crowded, especially given the size of American vehicles, but it was never too much of a problem. The room was basic with a springy bed, a shower that was surprisingly good given its appearance, and an old 14" CRT TV completed the look. There was no problem with cleanliness and the cost is good given its location. You get what you pay for with this place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank stevej2209
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Basic motel with clean rooms. However when we stayed and the temperature was topping 100F, the air conditioning had broken. Not good.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
vibhutivp, Manager at Los Padres Motel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank You for staying with us and we will try to improve our motel as best as we can. We apologize for not having A/C in our rooms.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I reserved a two-bed room using my credit card only to find the husband/wife who run the motel had given my room away to someone else, even though we arrived at the time I had said we would.
After arguing that we needed two beds because a child was with us, they finally relented, gave us the room we had booked, and decided to not give that room to the other party they had apparently double-booked it to.
Then, in the end, they charged me 10% more for the room than the price they had originally quoted.
With evening coming on and a child in tow, they knew we would be hard pressed to set out to find other lodgings at the last minute.
On top of that, the room was dingy and uncomfortable. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sean K
We apologize for the inconvenience you had hotel We will try to improve our staff with good customer service. We do really care for our customers and we have started our new reservation systems that we can email you all the confirmations with all the details so there will be no dispute at the time of check In. We will try to improve as best as we can.

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

SANTARCANGELO DI ROMAGNA
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We paid 50$ plus tax for one night. The place is quiet, front desk polite, room is not big and with new forniture but I can say it was clean and pretty comfortable. Internet wifi was quite ok, little slow. Bathroom was small, the shower old but working and clean. I guess for 50 bucks the room was fair

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your response as we want to serve you best as we can. We would love you to come back and recommend others.
mammoth lakes ca
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I booked this room based on reviews that indicated this was a no frills, but clean, motel in downtown SLO. Pictures posted show decent looking, updated decor. Well they definitely weren't pictures of the room we stayed in. It looked like it had not been updated in at least 20 years. The curtains were literally shredded and black (they were beige) at the bottoms. The bedspreads were an ugly solid brown color, extremely thin and old looking. The room had a bad odor when I first entered. I opened every window and left the door open for an hour. I chose not to unload the car so I could leave the windows open while I left for a few hours. The room smelled better when we got back. There was no way to leave the windows open and have a secure room, so I had to shut the windows when we went to bed. I woke up in the morning with the smell encompassing the room, and I finally placed the smell, it was gas. The heater in the room (it was not on as it was not needed) looked like it was from the 50's and must have had a small gas leak. I got up and opened all the windows and the front door again to air it out. I wish I'd had a camera with me, this really was one of the worst looking rooms I've been in in a very long time. It was room #17, definitely avoid this room. On the plus side, it was quiet and the location is very convenient to downtown.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed in SLO on the night of the Thursday farmers market (well worth going to if you're near the area on a Thursday).The hotel itself is about a 5 minute walk away from the main downtown area on a safe street, with lots of cafes and little antique shops (most of which are open from 10-6).

The manager was really friendly and helpful. The room was clean and great value for money compared to some of the other rooms we stayed in along the Pacific Coast Hwy. In the room there was a fan, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, fridge and tv.

Definitely one of the nicer hotels we stayed in along the PC Hwy. I would highly recommend staying in Los Padres if you're going to SLO.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family