“Good food, nice atmosphere, lackluster service”
Review of Cafe Roma

Cafe Roma
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Roma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 308 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Santa Rosa
Transit: Across the street from the San Luis Obispo Train Station.
Description: Since 1980, the Rizzo family has been serving authentic Italian cuisine in San Luis Obispo's Historic Railroad District. Enjoy homemade pastas, steaks, and seafood made from the finest local ingredients--classic dishes like Osso Buco with Saffron Risotto and Tortelli di Zucca. From a vintage Italian bike hanging from the bar ceiling to the Murano glass chandeliers and Tuscan murals, Café Roma is a celebration of what people love about Italy. The garden patio, full service bar, and elegant dining room are popular destinations. Café Roma accommodates many special occasions and business functions with its private dining options and banquet room.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We ate on the patio out front. The waiter took our order quickly enough, and the food was delivered fairly timely. As with all outdoor dining, there are flies... oh well. The music should have been more on the Italian genre, not the pop stuff that was being played, although the volume was not too loud. The food was very good, if not excellent. The server never one time came back to fill up our drinks... bad. Yes, I'll go back, but I'll be a little more vocal about having my drinks filled up during the meal.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we first walked in to Cafe Roma, I expected to see chef Robert Irvine any minute as the decor was that awful. The layout was also awkward (our table was right next to a private dining area that didn't have the drapes drawn and had a large party). I was willing to overlook this, however, if the food was decent. Well, it wasn't. The bread was good, as were the salads. However, the entrees were pretty bad. I ordered the shrimp scampi which consisted of four overcooked and underseasoned shrimp, some vegetables, and some potatoes which were as bland as packing peanuts. My husband ordered the fish special which was incredibly over seasoned. The service was so so--I was served water and my husband not. Will not go back and cannot recommend.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My sister-in-law raves about Cafe Roma. I don't find much on their menu that I care for, so I order the penne pasta with tomatos. It;s hard to find the tomatos in the meal and the food was very bland. They serve good bread initally and their wines are fine. The service was very good. I prefer to eat at Rosas in Pismo.

1  Thank ieduffy1
Reviewed July 15, 2012

From the moment you walk in you feel welcomed as a part of the family. A spacious but warm room, with ample patio dining as well. Started with the seafood misto appetizer with calamari, shrimp and a grilled sardine. Excellent. Fresh swordfish, pappardelle with lamb ragu, superb. Great service. We will return often!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Perfect calamari appetizer. Had the flatiron steak, from cattle raised at the Hearst Castle property. Our waiter was extremely helpful, including helping to call our taxi. The tiramisu was delicious and the coffee perfect.