“Loved this place”

Cross street: Broad & Higuera
San Jose
“Loved this place”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I liked this place but my better half didnt like the dish (fish pasta special) she was served though I thought it was fine. But we always agree to disagree ;-)
Lot of wine options , good place for couples, great ambiance.

• Visited June 2014

Palo Alto, California
“The cannolis are to die for”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is our favorite restaurant in San Luis Obispo. We love the pizza and the pasta but we REALLY LOVE the cannolis.When it comes time to order dessert, nobody will share. We each want our own. We usually over-eat and love every minute of it. My husband tried to wrangle Giuseppe's meatball recipe out him, but Giuseppe caught on before the recipe was finished. I think we are missing some of the spices.

• Visited May 2014
San Luis Obispo, California
“Nice ambiance, service.”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I ate dinner here. They recently retiled the floor and the overhead lamps are turn of the century filament bulbs. With the addition of white tablecloths the ambiance is cozy. [They also have a back patio that overlooks the San Luis Obispo Creek.] She had a salad and I had lightly breaded calamari for starters. The salad dressing was a little heavy - the calamari was nicely presented and tasty but the accompanying red sauce was just okay, She had chicken parmigiana for the main course - perfectly cooked. I had a wood-burning stove pizza [you can see the fire burning from the dining area]. It was a thin pizza - nicely done - but it takes getting used to if you're accustomed to over-salted, heavily cheesed American pizza. Warm garlic bread is served - if you ask for extra cheese they provide you with pre-grated. Service was excellent, friendly and observant. The other wait staff greet each customer as they come in or leave. Overall, a nice experience.

• Visited April 2014
Nevada
“Nice Italian Resturant”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was traveling through San Luis Obispo and the hotel recommended this restaurant. First the staff was extra friendly and I presume the owner or manager was present and welcome the guest when the staff was busy. It was week night and which was good for our dinner arrive physical hot. Now I need to mention the vegetables were cooked to perfection with seasoning!The food was very good to my wife and that what counts!
My self I prefer food that awakens your taste buds and the food I had was not just there. The sauce was just not there, need more seasoning and the meat-ball were over cooked.
Would I come here again Yes, but I would mention to add more garlic to my food.

• Visited March 2014
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Best Italian Restaurant in San Luis Obispo”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I love Vieni Vai in San Luis Obispo! The food is fantastic and all home made. Some may not agree this is the best Italian in town, but what makes up for it is the staff. It's family run -- headed up by Giuseppe "Joe" who is the nicest guy -- and they make you feel at home.

One night, I was in the mood for fra diavolo. The waitress was a little confused because it's not on the menu. So Joe came out and we talked. I described calamari fra diavolo, he suggested adding anchovies, went off to make it, and the end result was outstanding. The best I ever had. Joe asked me to rate it 1 to 10 and I said I couldn't because it was off the scale! Not too spicy and not over-sauced the way many places make pasta. He's the best. I hope they add this dish to the menu - or at least to the specials once in a while.

I travel to SLO from the east coast frequently and always make a point to stop in at Vieni Vai two or three times each trip. Can't wait to return! What are you making for me next, Joe?

• Visited December 2013