“Good, basic diner food”

Ranked #26 of 309 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Food was basic diner fare, but good and plentiful. Our waitress also very helpful and nice. Priced fairly.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have had several great breakfasts at this Diner. Friend had "the best green chili cheeseburger ever". Portions are generous and it is not too expensive for what you get. a little tricky to find, but ask anyone and they can give you directions-it is popular.

Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

The diner is a really typical american diner. Waitresses are really nice, food is good and the portions are HUGE! We shared a meal with my husband and we both ate plenty!
Definitely would recommend the place and come back again!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was recommended I try the avocado and mushroom omelette, and that's what I had; great flavor with a good amount of both avocado and mushrooms. My companion had the eggs benedict, which came with a thick slab of ham (not the typical thin slice of Canadian bacon); the ham was salty but otherwise this was good, too. Because Margie's specializes in huge portions, unless you're hungry order the two egg omelette. Good potatoes, too!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were staying in a hotel in close proximity to Margie's Diner in San Luis Obispo and basically walked across a parking lot to give this eatery a try. We weren't sure it was even open because the parking lot was very sparsely occupied with vehicles. However, there was a neon Open sign in the window so we walked over.

There weren't a lot of people in this restaurant on this mid-week day when we arrived and we were promptly greeted and seated in a booth. We had ice tea to drink and for our main courses we selected typical diner fare: a hot ham-and-cheese sandwich and a rib eye steak sandwich. Both entrées arrived with an absolute mound of french fries and some fresh fruit garnishes. I don't know how a restaurant chef could spoil a hot ham sandwich (and he didn't in the case of the ham-and-cheese sandwich) but it is entirely possible to ruin a steak sandwich. However, my kudos to this chef because my rib eye steak sandwich was cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the bun was lightly browned, crispy and delicious. The french fries tasted good as well.

Some people I know would turn up their noses at eating in any diner anywhere and, truth be known, I've eaten some pretty horrible meals in diners in my life. But in this case we had a very well prepared meal and were well served by the wait staff. If you want substantial food that's pretty good to eat, I'd recommend Margie's Diner in San Luis Obispo.