“Ignore Poor Service Reviews! And the Food is Great!”

Que Pasa in San Luis Obispo
Ranked #187 of 304 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My bride and I visited the San Luis Obispo location, here for 2 1/2 years, for the first time yesterday, for a light supper before a 7pm theater performance. We had read the reviews and were prepared for good food and lackadaisical service. We were delightfully proven right about the food and just as delightfully proven wrong about the service! We arrived about 5 pm so the Friday evening crowd hadn't yet arrived. The space is large, comfortable, and colorfully decorated with Mexican artifacts. We were cheerfully greeted and seated, and had menus, chips and salsita immediately, and drinks right away. My happy hour margarita was very good, and served well to tame the delicious house-made salsita. We perused the extensive and interesting menu and chose lighter fare: my bride had a steaming bowl of albondigas soup and pronounced the broth delicious but the meatballs a little bland. (I called the restaurant just now and confirmed they were beef, not chicken.) She ordered the Street Taco Trio for her main dish and was pleased with her choice. Her Firestone Double-Barrel Ale was a perfect brew for the tacos. I chose to make my own Combination Plate from four choices: Crispy Taco, Beef Tamale, Enchilada, and Chile Relleno. I chose the latter two items, and was not disappointed. The accompanying rice and beans were perfect, but the true test of a good Mexican kitchen is the enchilada, particularly the sauce, and a chile relleno. This kitchen and chef passed with flying green, white and red colors! My bride is the best Mexican chef I know, but Que Pasa gave her a run for her money! My favorite is the chile relleno, and this one was as close to perfect as a commercial kitchen can get: the egg batter was, light, frothy and tasty; the chile was done just so, and full of Manchego cheese. Heaven. (I have our leftovers in the fridge for when I am done with this review!) About the service: prior reviewers noted some problems in this area. We did not. Quite the opposite, as I said, our greeting was right on point, and service continued in this vein for the whole meal. Nina, our server, is a friendly and knowledgeable young lady, and was there every time we needed something. I listened in on the other server at the next table, and she was just as delightfully able. Apparently the owner/manager listened to you and fixed the problems! Prices: All this food and drink, including my 2nd margarita, came to under $35. Wow! Upshot: we have found our go-to Mexican restaurant.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Que pasa is probably one of the best Mexican food places in slo( real Mexican food). They have a wide variety of plates and the food is tasty. They have amazing tacos, and other authentic plates you won't find anywhere!
If ever in town try the cochinita pubil and or the molcahete! You will thank me and god for it!

Good is what keeps me coming back, although the service makes me think twice, and pricing( mid range pricing, something's not worth it for 15 dollars)

Their staff needs a serious customer service crash course.
On one occasion the server forgot that we were there! We waited for 30 minutes and finally another serves and to us and said " I can't find your server, he forgot about you."
On a district occasion a server dropped a glass full of water on my friend. She never apologized, or cleaned it. We had to clean it our selves!

On another occasion we asked for napkins... Waited 20 minutes... We asked for margaritas... Waited 15 minutes( they have them premade for taco Tuesday)...asked for the check... Waited 20 minutes. You get the point.

If you don't mind waiting for food, or check it's totally worth it! Plan to be there at least an hr!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This was a complete 180 from another night's meal at Korberl at Blue! I didn't want a fine dining experience but in truth wanted a bit more something than what I got at this restaurant. The night we went it was $1 taco and $3 margarita night. Need I say more? It was packed with students chowing down and loading up take-home bags for food for the week! Who could blame them? Noisy. Yep, but it wasn't unruly - just very lively!

One could watch the food being prepared along the one side of the restaurant. Service was fast and our server was very pleasant. I didn't try the $1 tacos, but I did try the $3 margaritas - let's review - these were not of the Rio Grande in Steamboat, Colorado variety where there is a 3 drink limit for good reason - these had lots of ice and well, I'm sure that there was alcohol in there somewhere! :)

I had the special of the weekday - some sort of enchilada and my husband had the veggie burrito. Mine meal consisted of 3 chicken enchiladas in some sort of verde sauce. They were tasty, but there were 3 of them and that's it. I would have like to have seen a veggie or two or three. The veggie burrito had a tomato spicy sauce that I didn't care for, but my husband liked it. His meal came with rice and beans, but his burrito was so big that he did not touch the sides. Meal came to $35 before tip.

I think I was looking for a bit quieter experience, but one has to be flexible with both the fine dining experience and the not-so-fine-dining experience! All part of the adventure!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had a GREAT meal here. Mexican food is either really good or really awful and this place is great. Chile relleno was to die for. Tacos, enchiladas were delicious. Staff couldn't be nicer or more friendly. Terrific location in the heart of quaint San Luis Obispo. Margaritas are super good. Can't say enough good things.

1  Thank jacksondlz
Oscar P, Manager at Que Pasa in San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for the Great Review!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We've been to the Atascadero location 3 times and always enjoyed it. My friend and I were in S.L.O. on Thurs. for farmers market and wanted to check out the Monterey St. location, I'm sorry we did. There were only 6 other people in at 9pm, even though that's when their "late night happy hour" starts, so there should have been no problem getting prompt service. Our server "Freddy" brought us menus AFTER clearing off a table from others who had left, so we just sat and watched. We were just about to get up and leave 10 min. later when he finally came back to us and acknowledged that he forgot we were there, gee ok. He did come right out and say he would give us a 20% discount. The food did come very fast, less than 5 min, so somebody had their act together. What really ticked us both off over everything else, was the music got abruptly changed by either the server and or manager to the worst ghetto rap they could find at least 5 times during our 45 min visit, if a decent couple of songs came on, it got changed. We just ate and got out of there. The manager never came to our table to say anything about us being forgotten about etc, but was sitting at the bar enjoying himself a glass of red wine when we left. Real professional, not.

1  Thank BirdDogPatsy