Granada Hotel and Bistro
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$159
$241
$219
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
$179
$174
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $205/night.

$199
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$159
$190
$163
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $192/night.

San Luis Creek Lodge(San Luis Obispo)
$209
$203
$205
$189
$305
Madonna Inn(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
$209
All reviewsexposed brickrooms are smalldowntown sloupstairs patiosteam showernarrow alleyglass of winetight squeezedeluxe roomlounge areagas firefarmers marketshopping and restaurantscal polycentral coastunique hotelwine country
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Unfortunately, the beautiful building does not make up for consistently lacking food and service. I am a local and have been to Granada many times with friends...one thing you can count on is leaving the restaurant feeling disappointed, with an empty wallet.

Save your money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carl C
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is a cute and stylish hotel in an excellent central location. The rooms, tho small, are attractive, and the in-room shower and vanity pretty but not too functional. The lack of a closet or luggage racks (just a small armoire) left us putting our minimal luggage on the only chair in the room.The outdoor fireplace and patio were very nice. Since the hotel is a clever remake of a building not intended to be a hotel, the room size is understandable. The parking lot is a big, big problem, however, and more thought needs to go into its management. The night we stayed a large Lincoln Navigator was allowed to park behind the row of parking slots for hotel guests, making it almost impossible to back out and make the turn into the very narrow driveway, complicated by another car entering the driveway from the street. (It took about 10 minutes to back and turn, back and turn to achieve this). When we asked the desk clerk if the large car couldn't be parked in one of the available slots, he abruptly said no and it remained there all night and the following morning, making it hard for all of the other drivers to enter and leave the lot. All in all, I felt that this venue was slightly overpriced and I will probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the upstairs patio have only one window, opening on the patio. You have to keep curtains drawn to prevent patio occupants from seeing into your room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank llionlady
Reviewed April 30, 2013

With a son studying at Cal Poly SLO, I make the lovely trek to the Central Coast fairly often. Up until now, my options have been 1. Chain hotel/motel or 2. Victorian Bed and Breakfast. Hallelujah for the Granada. I happened upon it through Trip Advisor/Yelp and it seemed like the aesthetic that I appreciate without the insanely high boutique hotel prices. My room was small but not claustrophobic. The bed was divine and the exposed brick (even in the shower!) was charming. There is an upper deck that may be enjoyed by the hotel guests that looks over the bistro and street below. I did not eat in the bistro (next time!) but did enjoy a glass of wine. My server, Kelly, was adorably friendly as was the front desk manager on duty, Kathleen. All in all, I was impressed by both the property itself and the staff that I encountered. Good job, Granada. I will be back.

Room Tip: Upstairs without a doubt.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Bottom line – I would never stay in a room here unless it was an upstairs suite. The hotel is a “5”; my room was a “1”. Overall – I give it a “1” for the deception of renting out a room at these prices that are just not functional.

The Granada Hotel itself is a welcome change to the boring hotels at the end of Monterey St or over by the Madonna Inn. However – you really need to watch out for the room size/location before confirming reservations. We were in # 16 (a “classic”) on the bottom floor facing the parking lot. The room #17, I presume would be equally as bad.
The good:
• Excellent location
• Trendy/contemporary accommodations
• Comfortable bed
• Great shower (except it is in the bedroom)
• Friendly/helpful staff
The Bad:
• When the management/staff say “boutique” they mean the rooms are small – not necessarily that the hotel is small
• Hard to find – the sign out from is a work of art – but you don’t really see it because it blends in with the wall
• The parking…you’ve got to be kidding. The ally way to the parking can hardly accommodate anything bigger than a Honda Civic. It’s just that people who drive a Civic cannot afford to stay here.
The Ugly:
• We stayed in a “classic” room. The size is really not acceptable for more than a single person. The glass case is supposed to be an amour. It just did not work. No place to put suit cases, no closets, no drawers – you’re living out of your suit case which is laying on the floor. You have to rearrange luggage to take a shower (the shower & bathroom vanity are part of the bedroom). There is no bathroom – just a water closet for the toilet. The bathroom sink (well vanity sink as there is no bathroom) is like a tiny wet bar (totally unacceptable at these prices).
• The weather in SLO is beautiful – but you can’t open the window. It is a very cool industrial/contemporary look – but if you open the window – anyone in the parking lot could just climb in. It would be very simple to just put a restricting arm on the window to allow it to only open a few inches.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LongBeachBoludo
Kimberly W, General Manager at Granada Hotel and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take the feedback of our guests extremely seriously as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

We apologize for any misunderstanding you experienced while staying at Granada. We gave you the best appointed room we could given your price point needs. The New York Times referred to Granada as San Luis Obispo's "First Luxury Boutique Hotel", and as such the hotel is not ideal for guests seeking a traditional experience. The rooms are intimate and we have added more suitcase stands since you last stayed with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back and offering you a different room type that better accommodates your preferences. Again, we apologize for any issues you may have experienced.

Please feel free to reach out to me at anytime to discuss your stay.

Keilah Smith

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband planned a one night 20th anniversary get away for us. It was quite wonderful. We loved the Granada Hotel for many of the reasons everyone has written on earlier reviews. We were in Room 1 overlooking the street from our Juliet Balcony. It was just a really cool room with a totally different feel. The service was great as everyone treated us with lots of attention and did not fail to mention our anniversary. The restaurant and bar looked great, but we chose to go to the spectacular Koberl at Blue two blocks away instead. This restaurant has the same feel as the Granada with the brick walls and dark woods. We did not use any of the extra hotel spaces, but would in the future. For breakfast, my husband walked the short distance to Starbucks and brought back the items that we enjoyed on our Juliet Balcony. The view is nothing great, but we didn't care. We were just enjoying the moment. The only drawbacks we experienced where that the hot water took a long time to come on and the street noise was bad at times. I have already recommended the Granada to friends. If you stay more than one night, eat at the Granada for one and Koberl at Blue for the other.

Room Tip: We liked the front room with the Juliet Balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple