“Great stop during a road trip”
Review of Avila Valley Barn

Avila Valley Barn
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The property has an ice-cream/candy shop (long lines - but great ice cream with seasonal favorites and typical regulars). Also lots of animals to pet/feed ($1 veggies on sale for the kids to feed - large portion).

There are plenty of picnic benches surrounding the place and they sell grilled corn on the cob and have a deli (we didn't try these, but they looked good).

Under an open air market there are lots of local produce items, specialty sauces and spreads, oils, etc. and some gift items. Lots of unusual fruits and vegetables and great things to see.

Worth a stop while on a road trip (right off the freeway) and good for all ages. Allow 20 minutes to get and ice cream and walk around, longer if you want to eat there. Plenty of parking on the dirt lot.

All reviews
"baby goats"
in 5 reviews
"local honey"
in 7 reviews
"great place to take the kids"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We really love this place! Love the fresh fruits and veggies and especially the fresh baked goods. The turnovers are to die for as are the loaves of pumpkin bread and carrot raisin bread. The deli sandwiches, especially the Benevolent Turkey is delish! My girls love the ice cream. Go early (they open at 9) they get very busy the closer it gets to noon. The sandwich is a bit pricey ($8.95) but it is worth every penny. The sandwich is so large you probably could share with someone else. With every sandwich you get two pickle spears but the best is the chocolate covered strawberry....so VERY good!!!!!!! They also have many farm animals to see and feed if you purchase the food. Pony rides for the little one ($5) and you can take a tractor out to the field to pick your own (today was peaches) not sure if it's different everyday or just whats ready to pick. They also sale corn on the cob on a stick...that's what we are trying next time. Avila Valley barn is a must to visit if your in the area!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Positioned about 1/2 mile off U.S. Highway 101 / 1 on Avila Beach drive, on the way to Avila Beach. Is fashioned after a working country farm, and has a decent sized store that sales farm grown (locally) fruits and vegetables, as well as home made pies, jams, and assorted other items you might find at a old time country store. They also have a petting zoo for the kids, and an Ice Cream and Candy shop that also makes sandwiches ...... they are all very good. Usually stop on
the way back from a day at the beach (Avila) to grad a sandwich, and then a homemade ice cream and cone. Great little find .... i bit more expensive then normal, but great tasting.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hey people, I'm baaaaaack! You'd know me if you read my review of Sandcastlle Inn at Pismo Beach...The only place in town for me!!! And, Avila barn which is only about 10 minutes from Sandcastle Inn, is my favorite place to go and let my mom and her friends shop. While they are busy doing that, my dad and I like to sit on the porch of the ice cream and deli store and have people come up and tell me how cute I am, and wonder why I'm such a big boston terrier and why I have such a cute face! Some of the little kids think I'm an escaped baby pig because they have baby farm animals to pet and feed all over the place here. It's a great place for me to people watch too! They have great homemade ice cream (which I get a taste of). They have great deli sandwiches you can order, fresh fruits and vegetables and bakery products you can buy and jams and candies and just everything! A fun farmers market! It is nice and shady and comfortable outside at tables or porch sitting like I like! Pumpkin season is my favorite. That is way we are always up here in October! You can take a hayride out in the fields to pick your own pumpkin or pick from the many they have sitting around. They make a great photo opp especially for someone like me! Cameras are clickin when they see me sittin between pumpkins! What can I say, they seem to love me and I'm happy to put a smile on everyone's face! This place will put a smile on your face too, so come and visit here often, just like I do, and maybe I'll see you here someday....PS my nick name is now 'Zack Twain' since I'm a published boston terrier reviewer! How funny is that!

1  Thank Margie G
See more reviews
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My daughters enjoyed all the farm animals: petting some (bunnies, goats, lamb, roosters), feeding some (all the above plus emu and donkies), and admiring others (ponies, pigs, and a cow). We rode on a wagon filled with hay hitched to the back of a tractor to go pick some fruit (olallieberries, blackberries, peaches). During the picking, we got to taste the fruits, which were delicious and ripe. The fruits that we picked and did not eat were weighed and paid for ($2.25 per pound for the berries and $1.50 per pound for the peaches.) Be sure to walk in a few trees/bushes to get the ripest and sweetest fruit, since the trees/bushes closest to the path were picked over.

Then we shopped in the store which carried all the fruits and veggies (most of which were grown on the same farm), baked goods, all kinds of picked jars, and even a toy section. For our lunch, we had roasted corn (which was shared with a nearby rooster with a rockstar hairdo, see photo) and ice cream for dessert (creamy, inexpensive, and delicious). It was a morning of fun for kids as well as adults!