“Five year old entertainment”

San Luis Obispo Children's Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Preschool through elementary-age children learn about health, history, safety, science, nature and the arts through a series of innovate hands-on activities and exhibits.
San Luis Obispo, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Five year old entertainment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

They were just completing it the last time I was there. I think it is rather expensive and not very good for children over 5 or 6 years.

La Verne, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A Place Just for Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

As a former employee at a children's museum, I look for certain qualities in a children's museum. This museum has a lot of great features that is relevant to kids interests. All of the exhibits were updated and interesting to kids. They use technology in some of the exhibits and there is a strong focus on science (fun science that is). My 5 year old who likes to do a lot of hands on activities loved the museum. As parents I was excited to see the modern take on certain physics and chemistry concepts.

The first floor of the museum featured the classic dino dig and microscope objects that is standard at many kids museums. There was a really neat shaking table that taught architecture and gravity concepts that revolves around earthquakes. For kids it was fun to build a small structure and then see how much force is needed to take it down. This is a fun exhibit that parents can work together with their kids.

There was also a bubble making activity where kids stand on a platform in the middle of a giant soap like bubble. I also was pleased to see several activities using magnets. On the second floor there was several pretend activities like a kids sized kitchen, dress up stage with a lot of costumes, there was also a police bike that kids get to sit in and a giant bus and firetruck. On this floor there was a small but very informative outdoor garden. They had miniature apple trees and tomato plants. There were also several herbs and other vegetables that were being grown in old metal crates. The info cards in each pot would be helpful to any parent or adult interested in starting an outdoor garden. I left that area feeling like I could grow a garden without needing a ton of space.

We didn't get to go to the third floor as the day we went there was a school tour and there were a bunch of active kids all over the place. We left earlier than expected because my son felt uncomfortable with so many kids he didn't know. We planned to return later in the day but we got caught up with other activities after we left. The nice thing about admission is what you pay is good for the entire day. You can leave and then come back, something that I have not seen in other museums.

Although our visit was cut short by the school group, we will visit again when we are in the area. The staff was very friendly and even showed my son some of the activities because they could tell he was a little intimidated by the number of school kids.

Visited May 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Good day outing with kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is a fun place for young children to explore. Lots of good play areas and fun exhibits. My 3 year old could have spent the entire day here. Older children might not be as equally entertained, but there were several exhibits for 7-8 years to use if they were interested.
All in all, our trip was definitely a success. I am not sure well be back, but I'm glad we came and I'd recommend it to others.

1 Thank SBSuz
San Luis Obispo, California
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great place to take the grandkids for a day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Very much oriented toward active learning. Water wheel, earthquake simulator (build a model and turn a wheel to see if your building will collapse.)

Fort Worth, Texas
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Lots for kids to do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Would recommend the Children's Museum for kids up to age 12. The upper floors are for younger kids. The first floor was fun for all. Easy to get to, easy to pass an hour or two inside.

1 Thank DellaDidDisney