“Yes, 5 stars for a chain location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Olive Garden
Ranked #53 of 301 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pismo Beach, CA
“Yes, 5 stars for a chain location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've eaten at the San Luis Obispo Olive Garden 3 times since they opened and the food has been excellent, service excellent and friendly, and they execute very well. The wine list is very good and reasonably priced and they will offer you a tasting.

I give it 5 stars because it hits ITS mark. Really good Italian, nice atmosphere, excellent service, and priced right.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank PismoPat

Sacramento
“Fairly new Olive Garden in this area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Olive Garden is pretty much the same any where you go but I just wanted to mention how nice and accommodating the staff was. We were meeting my husband's family that we haven't seen in almost 10yrs. They have a 3month old and I have 3 kids all under the age of 8. So they sat us in an area that they call their "family room". I believe the table sat 10 people comfortably. As the adults talked, it was nice to have the area because of course, the kids like to get up and play. Even though I was trying to get them to sit, they weren't in anyone's way and the staff was real nice about taking care of us. It was also private enough that baby was able to nurse. I know some people don't like to hear that but some mommies need that kind of area while eating.

If you like Olive Garden, you already know the salad and bread sticks are always awesome. I actually had the Seafood Portofino and it was delicious. I couldn't finish it but even the next day after warming it up...was good. The kids love the pizza and my husband sticks to his usual chicken alfredo with no complaints.

The review was mostly for the very nice staff and to say "thank you".

Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“Poor service, small portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went to Olive Garden for lunch to try the unlimited soup/salad, breadsticks. Our waitress was really slow. When you get unlimited soup and salad you want refills fast. Otherwise you will be there two hours waiting for refills. Also, the portions were really small. They have it engineered so that it is hard to even fill up on the soup and salad. The bowl of soup came half full. The 2nd time when I finally got the waitress back I told her to instruct the kitchen to fill up the soup bowl. If this sounds like I was annoying, I wasn't. I have found with Red Lobster and Olive Garden, (same company owns both) that they, as well as Applebees use a formula to give you small portions of everything and slow service to make more profit. The soup itself wasn't very good either. I will not be going back. It was not worth the trouble. I will take my business to Tahoe Joes in San Luis Obispo when I want the soup/salad lunch as theirs is excellent and plentiful for less money too.

Visited January 2012
ca
“A great wait staff made an ordinary restaurant extraordinary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wish I remembered the young man's name that waited on us, but he did a super job of taking care of us. The food was really good - My husband and daughter had a seafood pasta dish and I had their lemon chicken. I don't usually like lemon chicken but it was very well prepared. A very good experience!

Lompoc, California
“Typical (good) Olive Garden Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We've only had one experience at an Olive Garden that was less than good — and that one was in Thousands Oaks a couple of years ago.
This was the first trip to this particular Olive Garden and we were not disappointed. The wait staff were very attentive and answered questions from all in our party (of 6) with genuine concern and to our satisfaction. Our water and soft drink glasses were never empty, and without asking.
Only one in our party was under 21 and the others were offered a tasting of a Pinot Noir (I don't remember the vintage off-hand) and 3 of us accepted. It was OK (Pinots are not our favorites) but not worth asking for a full glass.
The 3 appetizers (ravioli, mozzarella, and mushrooms) were very good, as always.
Our youngest was the only one who had any sort of drink order issue (a strawberry-mango lemonade) supposedly because they didn't have enough of the right type of glasses. I can believe it because it was the beginning of a 3-day weekend and the restaurant was near capacity. He did eventually get he drink and enjoyed it quite thoroughly.
For dinner I had the Steak Gorgonzola-Alfredo which I thought to be a bit on the Gorgonzola-ish side for my taste be was still cooked to perfection and had perfect pasta and ratio of toppings. After I asked for — and received — a tasting of the recommended "hand-crafted" Malbec I thought it would pair well with the beef and was not disappointed.
My wife and our daughter had the Seafood Alfredo and they both enjoyed it.
Our youngest had the Lasagna Rollata al Forno and loved it.
Our oldest's fiancé had the Lasagna Classico and thought it was very good while he some kind of chicken dish and said he liked it very much.
We all decided on dessert — a rare occurrence with this group — for which we were grateful for the mini-desserts (Dolcini) that someone was genius enough to put on the menu. Our son and his fiancé shared a Tiramisu and the rest of us each had our own Dolcini. We all finished with a smile on our faces.
We all had a really good time!
One odd thing I noticed was that they had a gas fireplace in the "main dining area" but they also had the A/C going. I get the attempt at establishing a cozy/romantic atmosphere but it seems that these 2 things were just fighting each other.