“Check Your Bill!”
Review of Pappy McGregor's Pub - CLOSED

Pappy McGregor's Pub
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill has an atmosphere that blend's Irish and American traditions. Always lively, always fun and always busy, Pappy McGregor's is just the right place for you to have a cold pint, eat a great meal, and meet up with new and old friends. Our executive chefs, brothers Chris & Martin Beckett, have created an extensive menu made up of gastro pub quality items. We strive for every plate to be a work of art that's better than any other typical pub. Our creative menu is made up of comfort food favorites like the Prime Rib Sandwich, Steak & Shrooms, Farm Stand BLTA, Grilled Cheese, and Tomato Bisque. We also feature a wide variety of seafood dishes like the locally famous fried Calamari, Raw Blue Point Oysters, Fresh Halibut & Chips, and Oysters Rockefeller. Our Prime Rib Chili and Lobster Mac and Cheese have both won multiple awards in local food competitions. Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill proudly features fully stocked bars, with more than 150 sprits, imported beer, and an extensive craft beer list. We support our local wineries and feature only local wine from San Luis Obispo Co. Come by for our daily Pappy Hour or join us for our multiple weekly evening specials and events like Pub Trivia Night, Karaoke, and Live Music. Pappy McGregor's always has the big games on with our plenty of TVs you won't miss a second of your favorite team. When you're in uptown San Luis Obispo, stop by Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill and see why we have been voted Best Bar/Pub for 8 straight years. You won't be disappointed no matter if its food, drink or a good time you are looking for.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

It appears they purposely try to jack people on the Happy Hour Specials, so check your bill. First, the clock over the bar is set 10 minutes fast, and when I called it to the servers attention because we wanted to order before happy hour was over, they said "I know". The first time I ordered during happy hour, the food didn't have the discount but the drink did, and the server said "oh sorry that was supposed to go in automatically" and they adjusted it no problem. The next time we were there, one drink was listed as having been reduced, but the other drink and the food were supposed to have been totaled together in a "- discount" at the bottom, but the amount that was supposed to have been taken off was only half of what it should be. We had to send the bill back three times to get it corrected.

I want to like this place because they built a new stage for live music, and it is a pleasant atmosphere. But I am thinking they must have went through some major change in management, and it was not good. The first times I ordered food it was very good - I got shrimp tacos, and you could get any salad as a wrap and add ahi or meat. Well, they took both of these things off the menu, raised the prices, and don't have anything that is health conscious except $13 salads. All of the appetizers have meat, except the "ahi spring roll", which was revolting and $14. I pictured it being something light, but in fact, it was wrapped in this thick gooey dough and deep fried, with literally one shard of wilted cabbage. The fish was good quality, but it was encased in a doughnut and it may have even had cream cheese in it. The nachos have this mucus-y sauce that is NOT real cheese, and if you get it at happy hour it is 1/2 the size of a normal order. I haven't tried the calamari because it looked terrible - strips of mystery meat covered in really thick breading (no tentacles or little hats indicating it is actually squid). The only side order available is fries. The potato soup has meat and the only other soup is tomato. The good thing for someone who doesn't eat red meat is the fish tacos, and they are not excessively priced as is everything else on the menu.

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent menu and service. Oysters Rockefeller were great. Many things on the menu you don't see at s pub.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were staying down the road from Pappy McGregor's last weekend and picked the place for Dinner. I had the Mac and Cheese and my boyfriend ordered the Lobster pot pie. I have to give it 5 dots for the Mac and Cheese alone. We will defiantly be eating there again next time we are in town.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I met here with a bunch of friends: Great burger, pretty good fries, and a hearty cider! There was some live, bluegrassy music going in the next room, which wasn't overpowering at all. Service was the real sell here though. My friends and I plan on meeting here again.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This Pappy's has all of the potential and only needs a competent wait staff to complete it. Went in on a Saturday night at 5:30 p.m. and was told that the only table available was in the corner and had no view of the multiple televisions in the establishment. We were told that we could wait 30 minutes and another section would be opened at 6:00 p.m. if we wanted to wait. We left and went to a nearby competitor. At past visits, the food has been good but the staff has not been impressive. It feels as if they hire only Cal Poly students who have no desire for long term employment.