“Great atmosphere and friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HI San Luis Obispo

HI San Luis Obispo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I booked this hostel because I needed a nights stop over in San Luis Obispo and it was the cheapest available. I have been traveling for over a month and stayed at many hostels ranging from party hostels to stricter ones. I read all the reviews on this one and was prepare for rude staff. When I arrived, at the same time as about 5 other groups, I expected to be waiting for some time, but the girl on the desk dealt with everyone very quickly and got everyone talking with each other, which is great for the solo traveler! In fact, this girl, Laura, was the most helpful, enthusiastic receptionist I have come across so far. She was really welcoming and was very informative.
As for the atmosphere in the hostel, the common room is essentially a living room, great for socializing and meeting people. I wasn't aware of strict rules or anything, me and a group of other people stayed talking in the common room past 2am. Everyone seemed happy there and very relaxed. Breakfast is also a great way to talk to people whilst making pancakes! I would have booked on for another night if I could have.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Hostel Obispo is a great find for a low price. The hostel has a wonderful atmosphere with friendly staff, and the facilities are clean. When they overbooked they bumped my group into a private room and lowered our fee for the inconvenience.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We booked a private room at this hostel for one night. The pros: location was good, close to the main strip in SLO. Full shared kitchen which was nice. For breakfast they have sourdough for you to make pancakes which was really nice and they were delicious! They also have organic coffee, all free of charge. The cons: We were told $45 a night over the phone, but when we arrived we were charged $55. The front desk later apologized for this and refunded us. The private room was TINY! It was a queen bed with a single bunk bed over it, which was quite uncomfortable. My fiance hit his head on the top bunk. Other than the bed, you couldn't really fit much else into the room. The bathrooms/showers were shared, they weren't the cleanest but they were ok. Stand up shower was really small!
So this hostel was just ok. But i guess for hostels, its not bad, i used to love staying in places like this, but i guess as i've gotten older i need a little more comfort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

It's always a bummer when lodging managers treat you like dirt. It especially hurts when your on vacation, as I was--cruising down Highway 1, having the time of my life--only to have a witchy hostel manager close a road atlas I was reading from the common area in my face. When confroted, her response was "this is going home with me", clearly an act of passive agressive hostility. Stay here if you want your feelings hurt. Also, bring plenty of greenbacks, as the manager is reluctant to take plastic.

• Stayed May 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars
Manchester, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Our stay here lasted around 3 hours, which was more than enough. Perfect for travellers who love rules, regimes and a rude welcome. After the beautiful trip on highway one, this brought us down to earth with a bang. On bringing beer into the hostel i was informed alcohol was only usually allowed on 'special occasions'. There seemed to be a big concern i was going to take the alcohol upstairs, goodness know what kind of mayhem could've ensued if that had happened. God help anyone that wants to enjoy their break. We found it to be an extremely hostile environment, and never felt at home there. Infact, we disliked the hostel so much, that rather than having to wake up there, and not doubt be subject to more rules ( and probably be told off at least once for doing something wrong ) we hot footed it to the nearest motel at around 10.30pm (even though we'd already paid for 2 nights)

Charming location and building, but really not a place for young people. Unless maybe boarding school is your thing... In summary: i'd rather punch myself in the face than stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I would recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to head to San Luis Obispo. It's in a great location, within walking distance of some great hiking trails and breathtaking scenery. The hostel itself is cute and charming; it feels like staying in someone's house. It was under construction while I was there, so I'm sure that it will be less cramped in the future.

Likes: location, price, cozy atmosphere, awesome sourdough pancakes!
Dislikes: a bit dingy, but not too bad. Also, the hostel staff was friendly but not especially helpful, and they often hung out together like a clique, making me feel like an outsider. If I talked to them they would respond and we had some good conversations, but they don't make any real efforts to make guests feel like part of the experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo