“Military boarding school - Escape required”
Review of HI San Luis Obispo

HI San Luis Obispo
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Our stay here lasted around 3 hours, which was more than enough. Perfect for travellers who love rules, regimes and a rude welcome. After the beautiful trip on highway one, this brought us down to earth with a bang. On bringing beer into the hostel i was informed alcohol was only usually allowed on 'special occasions'. There seemed to be a big concern i was going to take the alcohol upstairs, goodness know what kind of mayhem could've ensued if that had happened. God help anyone that wants to enjoy their break. We found it to be an extremely hostile environment, and never felt at home there. Infact, we disliked the hostel so much, that rather than having to wake up there, and not doubt be subject to more rules ( and probably be told off at least once for doing something wrong ) we hot footed it to the nearest motel at around 10.30pm (even though we'd already paid for 2 nights)

Charming location and building, but really not a place for young people. Unless maybe boarding school is your thing... In summary: i'd rather punch myself in the face than stay here again.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank i_started_something

Reviewed March 11, 2010

I would recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to head to San Luis Obispo. It's in a great location, within walking distance of some great hiking trails and breathtaking scenery. The hostel itself is cute and charming; it feels like staying in someone's house. It was under construction while I was there, so I'm sure that it will be less cramped in the future.

Likes: location, price, cozy atmosphere, awesome sourdough pancakes!
Dislikes: a bit dingy, but not too bad. Also, the hostel staff was friendly but not especially helpful, and they often hung out together like a clique, making me feel like an outsider. If I talked to them they would respond and we had some good conversations, but they don't make any real efforts to make guests feel like part of the experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo

and the seven in Switzerland & Amsterdam

Sigmond Twayne
Author-Host-Travelguide-Photographer

Reviewed June 5, 2009

Hostel Obispo is located just steps from Amtrak and Greyhound and a few blocks from a lively small college town with a full service grocery around the corner. There are beaches and hiking trails nearby too; who could ask for more? I found the place to be very clean and the staff friendly. I'd return. In fact I have! Love the place. Oh, the computer suks but who cares?

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. The girl at the front desk was polite, not super friendly, but polite. I was skeptical of the sheets we were given - my fiance's smelled really musty. We stayed in 6 bed mixed dorm room - I was the only girl. There was a variety of ages in our room, mostly 20-year olds and then a man who was at least 60 years old. He was a little grumpy, but mostly nice. There were some lockers in the room but more lockers in the hallway. There were 2 bathrooms on our floor, they were small and not super clean. The shower was not very good. It was a pretty cheap stay, but I don't want to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We stayed for one night in a dorm bed and found the whole experience delightful. The staff were very friendly, providing not only the sourdough pancakes for breakfast but also a tasty, healthy dinner in exchange for a donation. The communal area is smallish but this also makes it very cosy, and the kitchen is very well equipped if you feel like making your own food.

The sleeping sack system mentioned in previous reviews seems to have disappeared, as we were given fresh sheets and blankets for a one night stay.

The bedrooms, bathrooms and common areas are spotless, and the place is decorated in a homely manner.

There are rules, such as no drinking or smoking on the property, and no noise in the common areas after 10, but this also meant that you would never have a problem with getting to sleep.

The location is excellent in a quiet residential street but only a short walk to the downtown area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My boyfriend and I regularly go to SLO. Our usual motel was booked. Other motels were asking for over $150 a room the weekend that we went. I was so happy to get a bed at this hostel. We were told to put our bags in a smaller room. After going out, we came back around 9 pm to find out that a family then took our smaller room and we had to go upstairs. My boyfriend was shocked to find an old man doing tai chi in his underwear. I still laugh about this. We had a good sourdough pancake breakfast in the morning. I loved this place, but then again, I like hostels. My bf was not used to sleeping in a bunk bed on our weekened off. My bf and I will definitely always remember our stay here.

Stayed: February 2007