“Quality is Slipping”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quality is Slipping”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had been to this new restaurant 4 previous times, and had a nice experience time each time. We have noticed, however, that the quality seemed to be slipping slightly. This last visit was very poor. Last week, we decided to try brunch at the Sidecar, as the Blue Sky was packed. (Previously, we always had dinner.) We were seated immediately, and provided with brunch popcorn (nice!). When we were seated, our server noticed that one of our plates was dirty and promptly brought another. We ordered the chilaquiles and the matador benedict. As we sipped our coffee, I noticed that the spoon we used to stir our coffee had old lettuce stuck to it. Evidently something must be going on with the dishwashing process to get 2 dirty items at once. The benedict was good, tasty, but skimpy on the fruit side. Turns out that a fruit side is 2 strawberries, 4 blueberries and an orange slice. If you aren't careful, you can eat it in a single bite. The chilaquiles were another story. These were simply nachos covered in red sauce, with an egg added. It looked like a heaping plate of red nachos overflowing the plate. The taste was not what I would expect; red sauce and tortillas - no simmering of the ingredients, no subtlety, no spices. Not what I would have expected from Sidecar. On the plus side, the service was good. On the way out, I noticed that the sidewalk outside the restaurant was dirty, unswept with trash. Not a big deal, but it detracts from the overall impression of the restaurant. I am wondering if the original chef and manger have departed, because this is not the place it used to be.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Forrest G

Shell Beach, California
“Delectable!”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Interesting food offerings, great atmosphere. I had "The W" burger - grass fed beef with brie and fig marmalade - which was insanely good.

• Visited June 2012
Cayucos California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Had a great experience! A friend of ours suggested the place at a dinner party we were at and my husband and I had lunch there a day after the suggestion. While they were busy and the staff explained that there might be a wait we were in no hurry and enjoyed our food and the ambiance immensely and the apologetic staff for the delay was kind, our food was delivered much sooner than the server explained it to be. We were out for a relaxing sunday afternoon lunch and it was exactly that!

• Visited May 2012
San Luis Obispo, California
“The best new place in town!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Novo has been my favorite restaurant, but Sidecar has quickly become a favorite as well. It's a hip place, with great food! Fun music events and DJs. Great mixed drinks.

Visited April 2012
San Luis Obispo
“Delicious Food, Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We did our company Christmas party at Sidecar and it was wonderful!!! It's a small, unique place with delicious, inventive fresh food! The entrees are seasonal so they change frequently. We had the most delicious kale salad, that I still think about!! My one and only negative is that it's pricey (for my budget anyway)- it's not a place I could indulge in frequently. When we were there there wasn't an entree under $18, if you wanted a salad with it, $9 was the cheapest and of course there is dessert and drinks. So I would like to see them do a Prix Fixe menu, instead of having everything a la carte- or have the entrees actually come with sides. But I cannot fault the food- it was delicious!

• Visited December 2011