“Avoid Sage before PAC performances”
Review of Sage Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sage Restaurant
Ranked #236 of 303 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Description: My husband and I were visiting our son at the Cal Poly campus, and we were delighted to discover The Sage Restaurant. This restaurant offers delicious meals at very reasonable prices. The restaurant is furnished with an understated elegance even though it shares half of the building with a student dining facility. The menu is artfully constructed utilizing lots of seasonal local produce, seafood, meat and wines. I ordered an appetizer of crab cakes with tomatillo sauce and apple fennel slaw. The crab cakes were so fresh, full of sweet crab meat and no fillers—a great deal for only $7. My husband had a savory roasted tomato gazpacho with parmesan twill for his appetizer. It was so tasty and unlike any gazpacho I ever sampled. For my entrée, I ordered the charred local black code with rice noodles, seasonal vegetables, miso broth and tempura leeks. My husband ordered the California halibut roasted with ground sansho, topped with truffle oil poached tomatoes, seasonal vegetables and carrot broth. The entrees were as flavorful as its description and cooked in a healthy manner. Yes, low fat cooking can be quite tasty. The menu also offer artisan pizza, steak and free range chicken as well as several small plate entrees. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert; however, we will dine at the Sage Restaurant when we visit our son again and I will order a small plate entrée so I can sample the dessert!
Province of Valencia, Spain
“Avoid Sage before PAC performances”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Four of us dined at Sage Restaurant on the Cal Poly campus prior to attending a performance at the Performing Arts Center. The food was disappointing. I had the Dan Dan chicken; the presentation was horrible, with a big brown mound which resembled something other than food. The other diners’ food was mediocre, at best. The waitress was friendly, but clearly not adequately trained. She had difficulty answering questions about the menu and wine selections. While Sage had wine from several outstanding wineries, there were few different types, for example, several Chardonnays and no other types of white wine. Attendees of the PAC performances would be better served to eat in downtown San Luis Obispo or at home.

• Visited October 2013

“Yuck”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Poor menu. Only 3 choices. We ordered the "skirt steak" ( which is was NOT), 4 orders, medium rare. A 4 oz piece of beef arrived on top of a cold white glob of " cauliflower purée , and nothing else on a large plate . I meal was inedible due to a mushy texture and an odor of decay. Of The other 3 steaks , 2 were well done and one was burnt to a dry piece of jerkey.
The Caesar salad came with a fried egg on top, the tasted of very old grease.
It was the worst meal I've had in a first world country! Yuck !
Too bad, because it it well located, nicely appointed and convenient for a per show meal.

• Visited January 2013
San Simeon
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

While the location is perfect for an evening at the Performing Arts Center across the street, that's about all that's perfect. The service was sweatily amateur and slow. The white linen napkin didn't include silverware. The bread had been microwaved and grew hard in a hurry.

We thought a shared entree of fondue would be nice, but, contrary to expectations, there was only one fondue pot -- a mild cheese but no second pot of oil -- for dipping of two veggies, one bread, and two very slim meats. The waiter seemed surprised that fondue could b served served any other way.

At least on this Saturday evening, the restaurant was filled with large groups of student, ten or more at a table, which isn't especially conducive to a fine dining atmosphere.

San Luis Obispo is full of fine restaurants. Unless convenience to the auditorium is your absolute criterion, don't waste your time on this amateur operation.

• Visited June 2012