“Delightfully Surprised!”

Ranked #11 of 302 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Monterey Street
Description: Located in the heart of downtown SLO next to the historic Mission Plaza, Luna Red is a lively gathering spot that features a Latin inspired menu of handcrafted plates, craft cocktails and an award-winning global wine. Luna Red's focus celebrates using local, seasonal ingredients and a lively late night music scene. On the weekends enjoy Brunch on both Saturday and Sunday starting at 9:00 am.
Pleasanton, California
“Delightfully Surprised!”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I had always wanted to have a meal here…drawn to the colorful umbrellas and outdoor seating. My husband and I had a late lunch and totally enjoyed our food, the service, and the happy hustle and bustle of Mission goers just beyond the restaurant. I ordered the grilled Romaine Salad which had just the right amount of char and melted blue cheese. I'd like to try and make this at home it was so good! My husband's salad was also great although I can't remember the name. The waiter recommended a new beer for him to try which also went over well. I can see that this restaurant may get overwhelmed for a dinner service, but our late afternoon lunch time was perfect and we had several wait staff helping us. I would go again in a flash.

• Visited June 2014

San Luis Obispo, California
“Nice Location but Quite Average Food”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had high hopes with yet another restaurant trying to make a go of it next to the creek and the Mission. The wait staff appeared confused and on several occasions brought us plates ordered by others. The daily special---fish tacos and chowder--was fine in terms of flavor and quantity, but nothing special. Guess I will wait for the next eating establishment to come.

Visited June 2014
San Luis Obispo, California
“Stopped in for a light dinner, loved it”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We decided to try Luna Red for dinner because we only wanted a light dinner, not a huge meal. We knew they had tapas, sharing items or small plates. We were tempted by the special build your own burger at the bar that evening but that really wasn't what we were looking for so we opted out of that. We were pleased we stuck to our original plan. We had some great choices to share and some great salads. Everything was so fresh and our waiter was super friendly and such a good sport because we kept asking so many questions. It was such a fun dinner. We would recommend Luna Red to anyone.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sharon G
Laguna Hills, California
“Disappointing. Not worth the price.”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I just left this restaurant and have never written a review but felt compelled to write one since my experience was awful. I gave it one star because the ambience is terrific. We were a party of four and decided to get the pick six which allows your party to order six tapas for a price of $35 each. I read the other reviews saying the portions were very good and with two college boys with me it was important to make sure there was enough for everyone. For the record were not some huge people with enormous appetites but for $35 each I would expect the meal to at least be satisfying. It was far from it.
The calamari and shrimp came out first but after splitting it four ways we only got a couple shrimp and a spoonful of calamari. Next came the tacos and stuffed peppers. Both were delicious but again one small taco each and one small pepper. The waiter had talked us into the pick six but I think this is meant for large parties because after adding up the appetizers and doubling them it would have been cheaper to just order one at a time . Another thing that bothered me is they never changed your small plate between appetizers. So your eating a taco along side your shrimp tails from the previous appetizer. The service was way below par. My water glass sat empty for several minutes and I had to ask twice for more before it finally came. The bottom line is the bill was $180 for 6 fairly small appetizers and two beers. If your interested in a satisfying meal at a reasonable price then I would consider going somewhere else

Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Over the 'Moon' at Luna Red”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Tapas style restaurant with an outdoor patio (including portable heaters for those cool California nights). Restaurant had live music, but it didn't start until 10pm (the European way), so we missed that. "Happy hour" on the night we were there ran all night and consisted of a great $5 menu - 9 tapas offerings, wine, beer and sangria. We tried 8 of the $5 tapas menu and none disappointed - sweet pea hummus, black bean and avocado fritters, stuffed piquillo peppers and spice roasted beets to name a few. However, the $5 sangria was on par with Que Pasa's $3 margarita - lots of ice and not much alcohol but the wine was a good deal. The white was a Pino Grigi and the red a Merlot. Bill came to $60 before tax and tip. Service was friendly and fast. Server took our order and various other servers came with drinks, came to delive3r food and others to take away plates - all without being intrusive. It was a well-run operation. Free wi-fi.

• Visited April 2014