“Super location at a great price!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
El Toro Motel
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield, California
“Super location at a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was traveling to the coast to take an exam at Cuesta and didn't want to pay a lot, but wanted to be safe. I was at the college in less than 10 minutes the next morning. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I got in late and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. Several people wanted the room, but I had made reservations and called to tell them I would be coming in late (9 pm). It was clean and neat. I was surprised that Wifi was available as well at no extra charge. No tub, just a shower and a very comfortable bed. I parked right in front of the room. The motel is small and quaint. :D

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank 57Campbell

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Even though it is totally run-down and quite sketchy looking, this is a huge bargain in san luis obispo. The room wasnt dirty or the showers werent moldy like others mentioned, but decent sized and clean enough. True the heater/aircon banged, but as of most coastal california, the tempature isnt so cold or warm to keep you up at night. Free coffee and pre-packaged pastries for breakfast is just an extra plus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank oddholio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The rooms had mold mildew,dry rot around shower.u smelled mold and mildew. All nite.floors has dry rot.weak.showers leak on rooms below. But got to stay free.no ice machine.2by 3ft soda machine..nit friendly people.police says to call code inforcement.and health on hotel

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank dharlene

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Out of the 20 hotels/motels we have stayed in over the past 2 months this was by far the worst- it looked as if it needed a woman's touch. The grounds were a mess of old furniture. the bed sheets were very rough/unironed dry. The floor had big dents in it which made you feel you would fall through. The bathroom window did not lock, and there was no lock inside the front door for night security. The shower room was a disgrace- as shown in the picture! There was no coffee in the room BUT it was available in the office between 8-10am in paper cups without lids for you to carry back to your room -my husband spilt coffee down his trousers when trying to get out of the office-not happy. There was a pre-packed muffin to go with this.
The one good thing I can say is that the water was hot, with good power, and plentiful.
It is right on the junction of 2 major hwys which is useful, but made it a rather noisy place to be.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gladys45
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My daughter graduated from Cal Poly this weekend and we stayed here. There were people hanging out in front of the motel who looked like they were up to no good. I asked the manager to show me the room we would stay in and he showed us a room that was decent with a flat screen tv and also very clean. When I went into the room I stayed in, it was the complete opposite. I put layers of towels on the mattress to avoid bed bugs. The windows did not even lock! I couldn't leave my stuff in the room because I was unsure if it would still be there when I came back. I told the manager I did not want to stay here because I did not feel safe and he said there was nothing they can do. There are no refunds. Do not stay here!! It is disgusting.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank slotraveler88
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed here several nights. The motel is old, but the rooms are very clean and totally adequate. We had a couple of minor problems which were addressed and taken care of immediately. Having a micro and fridge certainly helped with our budget. Noel, in the office couldn't have been more friendly. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eagle909696
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

The motel appeared old and run-down. Junky chairs sitting on the porches outside rooms. We were not told about any continental breakfast, but it looked like there was coffee and some pre-packaged pastries. The beds were fine and it was relatively clean but the bathroom was "bare bones" and the shower looked old and and a bit scummy, although it worked fine. There was no hair dryer, although the description said there was. I was able to get an old one from the front desk. Although the owner/manager seemed nice, housekeeping "forgot" to make our beds and replace our dirty towels. There was a fair amount of road noise and there was a bright light right outside our window that made sleeping difficult unless you are heavy sleepers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business