“excellent for the value, very romantic”

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I received a Travelzoo deal for $119 a night and $169 on weekend night, and 40% off spa services plus complimentary passes to two wineries. I was concerned before the trip after reading the horrible reviews on Trip Advisor. But we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly, although the second day receptionist was a bit curt, and the spa /gift shop questioned the validity of the travelzoo 40% discount. She gave us 40% off the service for one person and not for 2 persons. Odd! The Garden at Avila restaurant was good, reasonably priced, and staff was very friendly and referred us to good local wineries - Tolosa and Baylenna. Hot tub outside was perfect. Enclosed wall, and yes, if it rains, there is no cover. But you want no cover to see the blue sky. The suite - was fabulous - a bit old, but clean and quiet. It has a fireplace, spacious bedroom and living room with microwave and fridge, and ethernet cable for internet. We were going to try the public mineral bath tub before the spa, but the place didn't look as clean as the one in the room. The massage was great, but overpriced (even with the discount). So, for the value we got, the whole trip was great. Not sure with the regular price. But it is a romantic getaway. Bring your own romantic CDs, candles, a bottle of wine...

1  Thank tjandra1
There are newer reviews for Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I've always been a fan of hot springs in the more rural setting and have never tried a hot spring resort but thought this would be more romantic for my girlfriends birthday. We found an offer on travelzoo for a one-bedroom spa suite offered at 120 a night that seemed very reasonable. After taxes and fees it was up to 150. The room was awesome and very luxurious. Best part was the private hot tube in the back patio. We did not get a hot tub with mineral spring water like anticipated but I really don't think it would have made any difference. The hut tube on the back patio was very private and had a nice view of surrounding oak trees and the stars. It really was the best. The internet was an Ethernet connection. not wifi and I couldn't get it to work nor could maintenance. The front desk lady was kind enough not to charge me the 12 dollar resort fee for internet and parking because of this. The room has a gas fake fireplace but still kinda adds to the experience of a cozy romantic room. Really comfy bed. The room and private hot tube are in my opinion the best part of the whole resort.

Some things I didn't know before hand is that the hot tub soaks open to the public for hourly use are not complimentary for guest. However, they do give you 50% off for being a guest. Its normally 12 bucks per a person per hour. so for the 2 of us we paid 12 instead of 24. The hourly mineral hot spring tubs are located up several staircases in the middle of a oak tree grove. It was nice and worth doing but only for an hour. The tub seem very secluded but they're not. We totally a couple getting it on in a tub 40 feet above us. Kinda funny but also awkward.

The pool which is complimentary to guest is freezing. I don't think they heat it in the winter months. It was kinda disappointing. The Gift shop has an ice cream freezer with the most amazing desserts. They were made by some Dr. Marting dessert company or something and they were to die for.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay. I would not stay here for a dime over 150. That was pushing it for me.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

My friend and I treated ourselves to the "Wine Therapy" spa treatment and it was wonderful! They have you soak in private hot tubs for 30 minutes prior to your massage ~ then they call you for your massage time. It was heavenly ~ my friend loved the scented oil so much she purchased some to take back to the East Coast with her! Lisa gave me my massage ~ she was nurturing, professional and calm. I felt like I was floating when we left to go to the restaurant to enjoy our complimentary wine that came with that massage. The food we saw being served looked so tempting that we stayed and ordered brunch. Every bite was delicious and the service was incredible. I can't wait for my next visit!

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We went to Sycamore Mineral Springs for a weekend relaxation get away form the bay area and to celebrate my birthday. Although the private sulfur hot tubs in the mythical suites are unique, the hotel was below average and certainly not worth the money. I might be persuaded to return if the they charged about half what we paid.
The bed in the room was so high, they should have provided a stepping stool. Each time we got in and out we had get a running start, which was not user friendly. We were out of our room from 9am until 2pm and our room had not been serviced. I called the front desk to complain and they said they would send someone up. We then took the laptop to the bar area, which is where the front desk said we could get wifi. However, it did not work and we were not able to get online. When we went back to the room after one hour, the room had still not been serviced. This was a particular inconvenience because the toilet had exploded with water in the early morning and all of the wet towels were still laying around the floor.
The restaurant had great service but not great food and it was overpriced for the quality. The spa was lovely and the massage therapists that we had were both excellent. The location of the property is fabulous, however there are other hotels for more value and less money located within 2 miles.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

So here is the thing. Even though my wonderful girlfriend loved her valentines day trip here, I still have to be honest and objective. The day manager at the "Gardens of Avila" restaurant was a complete witch with a capital "B", and after checking in it took the front desk over an hour and a half to give us our scented oils that come with the valentines package that should have been in our room after checking in. Also early check in for Sycamore Mineral springs was only about 45mins earlier than regular check in. The receptionists were all very very nice, the staff at the restaurant were amazing. Dinner was amazing. But after having dinner we wanted to get into our private tub and the water only filled halfway then it was bone dry....no water came out again until 8am the next day. Basically Sycamore Mineral Springs was a good trip, but do not come here on busy holidays if you want your own private mineral water spa. Next time we go we will just book a regular room for $100 or more less than use that to reserve spa time at $12.50 an hour and not have to worry about if our tub isn't working. Over all I would give this trip a high mark but the room we got wasn't worth the $350 price tag for just 1 night.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

My husband and I decided to visit this place as our weekend getaway, and the only reason why we choose to stay here was the hot springs that are available on this property. They have a private hot tub in each room with access to the natural mineral spring water which is very nice and relaxing, but I must say this was the only nice thing about this hotel.... When we got there, we were very disappointed how small and old our room was. The beds were too soft, and because the building was so old, we could hear the stamping noise from the guests upstairs all night and in the morning. I felt that they charge way too much money for a poor quality room like this. The hot spring, the only nice feature they offer, wasn't even available after 9 pm because the natural hot spring well was supposedly "temporarily run out." We were probably the unlucky ones to run into an incident like this, and even though I did enjoy the time I could use the tub with the hot mineral spring water, the experience here was not a good value for the money.

Japanese:
主人と二人で週末に一泊旅行で温泉につかりに行こうと、温泉のあるこのホテルの予約をしましたが、部屋のサイズや古さにがっかりしてしまいました。各部屋に温泉水が出る大きいバスタブ(ジャクジー)がついているのでリラックス出来るのはよいのですが、このホテルの取柄はこれだけかな、というのが正直な感想でした。ベッドはちょっと柔らか過ぎましたし、建物が古いせいか、上の階の宿泊客が歩き回る音が夜も朝もとてもうるさかったです。部屋のクオリティが非常に悪いのに対し、高すぎる感じざるを得ませんでえした。唯一の取柄である温泉水さえも夜9時ぐらいには「温泉の湧き出るところが一時的に底をついた」とか何かで出なくなってしまい、たまたま運が悪かったとしても、すごく損をした気分になりました。温泉水が出ていた間はリラックスして楽しめましたが、残念な宿泊となりました。

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Biggest issue is lodging is in two story wood frame bulding that is probably over twenty years old, as opposed to concrete building they should have built. Not only do you hear everyone walking by, but everyone going up and down the stairs, walking across the room above, running water, or flushing toilet. If you live in an old two story house then imagine having all the rooms filled with late night guests and that's about what it's like. Basically if you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: January 2011
#2 of 29 in Pismo Beach
Avila La Fonda Hotel
Avila La Fonda Hotel
#1 of 5 in Avila Beach

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!