“Great place to unwind”

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I have read the reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp and set my expectation rather low; however, the place is great, and other people’s concerns were pretty unrealistic. First, it’s a mineral Springs resort, if you don’t like the smell, please don’t book the place. Second, the hot tub on the deck is huge, and if one doesn’t know how long it takes to fill up a bathtub, then shouldn’t complain. We had 1bdr suit with fresh water hot tub, and the tub filled up rather quickly given the size of it, with the hot water and cold water working perfectly. The room may need some face lift, but it’s roomy and clean. We really enjoyed the hikes (city to sea and sycamore) and the private mineral tub on the hill. The Garden restaurant is amazing, everything is fresh, and pairing with local wine, its match made in heavy.
Check out the Custom House and Olde Port Inn at Avila Beach, good alternatives other than the restaurant on site. Book your private mineral tub early, it cost extra ($17.5 for weekend), but it is worth the money after the hike. One can also book the spa treatment, which comes with 30min free soak.
Overall, it’s a spa resort, so calmness and healthy lifestyle are focus. Over the weekend we stayed, there were two weddings, and I’m not big fan of it, even though I understand that Hotel tries to attract different travelers during economy downturn.
Only complain is the usage of the heated pool by treatment center. There were large group of families with kids in the pool during our stay, and they were screaming and yelling even though it is supposed to be cell free quiet zone. Hotel staff tried to keep them under control, but unsuccessful. I would encourage family with kids to use their sister property down the road, which could be beneficial for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sycamoresprings, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Sycamore experience. I am happy to hear that you were able to unwind, that is the focus of our resort and it's great that you were able to take advantage of all the activities we have to do just that...unwind and take in the surroundings. Thanks for the advice about our pool, we actually offer complimentary access to Avila Hot Springs for all of our guests, we agree that it is the best place for children to have fun since it has a water slide and lifeguard on duty as opposed to the quieter area surrounding our pool and treatment center. It was wonderful to welcome you both to Sycamore and we are looking forward to seeing you again next time you need to unwind and enjoy the coast.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,643)

Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I originally planned to stay only on our actual anniversary which was a Saturday night. The least expensive was $199 on Expedia which we thought was a decent price considering an older hotel we had originally booked was going to be $130 and at Sycamore we would have our own hot tub and deck on a quiet resort. Do to last minute business plans we would not get a chance to spend anytime at the resort staying that Saturday so we also booked Wed night to book-end our camping portion. (in retrospect i wish we would have cancelled our Saturdaynight to save some money, only becuase we had to get up at 6am and run off to work the next morning). Wednesday night's stay was only $129 and we got (what I thought) was a slightly better room (because the place was much less full in the middle of the week). The room was a good size (but we are used to living in 450 sq ft at home) with a nice bathroom and a mini-fridge in the closet.
I knew we would have to fill the hot tub ourself from reading other reviews here and on Yelp. It was good to know that it takes a while so as soon as we got there Wed night we turned it on. Yes, it smells like rotten eggs, that's what the natural sulfer aroma smells like. If you don't like this smell do not stay here or use the hot tub. We enjoyed our time here and in the tub very much!
In the morning on Thursday I took the 9am Pilates class. This was great! It would have been even better if I didn't have to pee terribly at the end of the class. It is a beginners class which I really appreciated. I definitely could feel it by the end of the class (and I don't mean needing to pee).
We also took the hike up the hill on saturday. it 's a good work out and steep trail to the top where you get a beautiful view of the ocean.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

My 27-year-old daughter and I stayed here for two days in August. The service was very good and the staff quite friendly and courteous. We loved the hot tubs and soaked at every chance. We had massages and laid out by the beautiful pool and swam. Our room was a king suite and was very large and comfortable. We had dinner and lunch in the Gardens of Avila Beach restaurant and the food was very, very good and the service excellent. We are definitely going to return and stay longer next time!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have no idea what happened with the people who wrote poor reviews, my service was outstanding, friendly and accommodating. The food is as good as any in the name restaurants ( I have eaten in them all) and the presentation is fabulous. The prices are certainly low for the quality of food, and the quantities would please anyone not looking for hometown buffet size meals. I have only gone to the spa once (the sulfur smell is a bit much) but try to go to "the Gardens" resturant everytime I am anywhere near it.
The waiters have insight to excellent local wines and the chef makes a mean creme brulee.

1  Thank Daryl S
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Drving up the coast toward San Fransisco there are few easy access spots that are good for kids and adults. In this resort we stayed in a 2 story "home". fabulous room, terrible coffee, great private outdoor jacuzzi, privacy for us. The hikes are fab. They have a sister property 2 minutes down the road that has a PUBLIC pool/waterslide park. My kids enjoyed it very much. I was a bit freaked out by the "PUBLIC" aspect. It is dirty!!! It is low ebd and the employees are not resort oriented...more like teens annoyed by customers. The kids did not care, only I did. If you are stating at the Syacamore Springs, you have access to the pool. The hours are weird. Pool is open at 9am-8pm or so, but the slides are only availabe from 12-6. That makes it very difficult when traveling in or out. The worst part of the resort is the horrendous beds and the water temps. OMG...it all looked perfect. Like a mountainous private retreat. Huge shower, two stories, private tub under the trees and then..BAM..bed a lumpy sloping, jiggly mess. We were miserable, the nerve!! The other issue is the serious danger (liability I cant believe they take) water temp in coming from all faucets and the jacuzzi outside. It functions just like a bath at home. You mix the HOT and COLD to the degree you prefer. The HOT is beyond SCALDING!!! It pumps out of the sinks, shower, bar sink you name it like boiling water. My back was burned just by the dripping after the jacuzzi had filled. So, going to this resort is something I would do again, however I would only stay if I knew the beds had been upgraded, and I obviously want to alert people about the water. But truly, without those two issues, it is a beautiful place to be!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort for two nights to attend the wedding of a friend's daughter. The entire experience from reserving the room through check-out was excellent.

We stayed in a queen suite in the Noble building that included a freshwater hot tub. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The grounds were very nice. The restaurant was excellent. The resort staff went out of their way to make sure that our stay was very enjoyable.

The next time we are back in the Avila Beach area we will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

Have always visited the mineral springs when traveling to San Luis Obispo or No Cal but never stayed at the hotel. We were very disappointed with the hotel and would recommend that you rent a tub for an hour and spend the night else where. The room was expensive for what it was. Reserving a tub on the hillside sure beats the tub on the patio of your room. and how long can you really spend in a hot tub before your body is completely exhausted. Spend the money on dinner in San Louis Obispo and a room in Avilia beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
7 mi away
SLO Brew Lofts
SLO Brew Lofts
#10 of 32 in San Luis Obispo

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!