My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute weekend getaway and I had cut out an ad for Sycamore Springs that they had run in one of our local papers. The ad and the website both made the location look very modern, spa-like, and up-to-date. When I called we were told there was a suite with a private mineral spa for 299 + tax, that was fine so we packed our things and headed up. When we drove up to the front it wasn't what I was expecting at all; the buildings looked a little out of date and when I walked into the check-in/restaurant area I seriously felt like I had stepped back into my childhood. (I grew up in the late 80's, early 90's) I was told on the phone that they had a "very nice" restaurant and when I walked into the waiting room all I saw were some tables lined up behind a bar area and a menu that seemed a bit expensive for the ambiance the restaurant provided. Anyway... so we check in and we're told that we are going to stay in the "Mystical" room in the "Mythical" building. When we first walked in I thought we had a really nice room and then we started looking around, it was alright I guess, but not worth the price. There was nothing mystical about it whatsoever and once again... blast from the past. First off the room was decorated with Colonial reproduction furniture that I remember being so popular when I was a kid, the sofa was old and dirty, the furniture chipped, the bed was seriously high and squeeky. And when my boyfriend tried to open the glass doors on the fireplace one of them fell off and he had to re-attach it.. Basically the whole place just needs a major, major rennovation. Our spa wasn't all that "private" either, the guests staying in the rooms on the hill behind us could easily look down in our patio and the only thing we had for privacy was a patio umbrella. The spa itself wasn't anything like the picture, it was another relic from the 80's and me being petite (5'4) it was hard for me to get in and out of it since there was only one small wooden step leading in, I did enjoy the effects of the water and my skin does feel fantastic however it was really hard to relax, the jets are super noisy and our tub would not stop draining, the pipes that filled the tub up were just basic white PVC pipes, not very pleasing to the eye. Another thing that was disapointing was the lack of soap/shampoo/lotion. I usualy get more at nice hotels, especially locations with spas and we just had a few little bottles and a small thing of soap. The hotel isn't really near anything so if you want to eat somewhere else you have to drive. Honestly I've had nicer hotel rooms that have cost $99.00, I'd recommend you find another hotel and if you want to go into the hot springs, book one of the private outdoor tubs; that way you can save a bunch of money and still enjoy the mineral water.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort rests atop hot mineral springs and spans more than 100 acres of forest, hills and meadows on the picturesque Central Coast of California. An authentic California resort, the property features hillside mineral springs hot tubs, a beautiful spa, the Gardens of Avila Restaurant, a labyrinth, private balcony hot tubs, meditation gardens, and wide selection of mind-body classes in our Yoga Dome. Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort -located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles is just a short walk to the ocean and close to award-winning wineries, golf courses, Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, and San Luis Obispo. Escape to our historic resort voted best Spa and Weekend Getaway on the Central Coast. Experience rustic elegance in a serene and relaxing environment surrounded with the best California has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sycamore Mineral Springs Hotel San Luis Obispo
- Sycamore Springs
- Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort
- Mineral Resort Springs Sycamore