“Sycamore Hot Springs”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
california
“Sycamore Hot Springs”
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I recommend these hot tubs that are located on top of a hill very romantic covered by trees and lights VERY ROMANTIC GETAWAY i think now its only 20 an hour/ grab a bottle of wine and go

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2009

I've been meaning to write a glowing review about my stay at the Sycamore back in November. Sorry I'm just getting around to it now!

I was SO nervous about booking this place for a get-together/retreat with my best girlfriends from high school... Two had to fly from the east coast, one had to drive up from San Diego, all of us have done some traveling and have pretty high quality standards for hotels. What I'm saying is... kind of a tough crowd! But the Sycamore Springs TOTALLY came through on every level...

We took the Girlfriends Getaway package and the woman, Marina, who booked it for us was so lovely and helpful. She even booked our wine tasting tour in advance.

The package included a girt certificate for the hotel restaurant, which had great food and a friendly vibe. The spa, which I had read was unreliable booking-wise, couldn't have been more accommodating to our schedules. They had excellent technicians, it was clean, relaxing, quiet... all the things you want.

The spas themselves were rustic, but that seemed to suit the woodsy setting. And the sulphur smell was only near the spas and not strong at all. Kinda good actually.

The suite was basic, but cosy. All the space and amenities we needed were there, although only one shower for the four of us. With girls, that's a slight problem.

Things I'd recommend doing:
- taking a wine tour of the nearby Edna Valley.
- doing the hike behind to hotel to overlook Avila Beach
- walking or riding a bike along the path to Avila Beach
- taking one of their yoga classes
- having a soak in the mineral springs spas
- going with people you love and enjoy spending time with (then all the fun, relaxing stuff to do in a beautiful setting is just icing on the cake!)

I'm sending my mom and her best friend there this week. I certainly wouldn't do that if I didn't think it was just perfect. Oh, and one more thing, although I didn't stay in them, the new cabins across the road from the hotel looked SO nice. I want to go back there with my husband and kid SOON!

Enjoy!

- ML

• Liked — Cosy, unpretentious and relaxing while still being somewhat up-scale
  • Disliked — One shower for four of us
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank mlewey2
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 28, 2008

This place is amazing. I didn't stay at the hotel but my husband and I booked an hour in the private hot tubs. The tubs are perched on the side of a wooded hill and are powered by natural hot springs. It is so peaceful and quiet. You literally fill like you are in the middle of nowhere. The trees create a shaded canopy over the tubs and the water is REALLY hot. This place is worth the stop for sure! You somehow feel "cleansed" from the inside out when you leave.

We also dined at the Gardens restaurant. What a fine experience this was. We ordered salmon cakes appetizers. They aren't like crab cakes, they're good but different. Not what you would expect. All of the ingredients are really fresh and taste good. For dinner we had the roasted chicken and mushroom and broccoli rice pilaf it was cooked to perfection. I would recommend this. We also ordered the duck confit and breast over wild rice and wilted greens in a red wine reduction. It was great. Crispy skin, tender meat, full bodied flavor. Total without drinks was $70. A fair price for a good meal. The portions were great and we both walked away full. The waitstaff were very attentive and friendly. The restaurant itself is small so make sure you call ahead for reservations during busy dining hours. We didn't have to wait at all with our reservations.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My stay was wonderful. The staff was warm and friendly.

• Liked — The solitude
  • Disliked — There is no business center and no computer to use on the prperty.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed October 14, 2008

At first, we were going to make it a couple's getaway, without the kids. At the last minute, our toddler joined us. We arrived late, and there was no problem checking in. We were immediately driven (by golf cart) to our room, which was very nice since we had to cross a dark footbridge. Our room was clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. The double-head shower was luxurious. It was quiet and relaxing. Although we had the option of calling for the go-cart, we decided to walk across the short foot bridge to our car. It took only 5 minutes to get to our car. The spa was very nice, and the hot tubs were nice too. Our room had our own fresh water hot tub, which took about 20 minutes to fill. There was plenty of hot water, so we were able to make the water at a temperature we wanted. We were going to stay until Sunday morning, but on Saturday night at around 9:00 p.m., we had to go home because of our toddler. When we checked out, the resort gave us 50% off that night's stay, without us even requesting it. That was a pleasant surprise. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We had no problems to complain about. The service was excellent, and the resort itself was excellent. We will probably come here again...without kids. :)

• Liked — The room and spa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
California
Reviewed September 22, 2008

My Husband and I visited Sycamore Mineral Springs for a two night stay in one of the one bedroom suites. Nice room, we had our own spa on our private patio. The spa was a bit noisy filling and had a slow leak so we couldn't keep water in the spa for long. We enjoyed the grounds of the resort . The hike above the resort to the look out of Avila Bay was moderate . We also enjoyed a hike to Avila Barn. The spa was pleasant.I especially enjoyed my Facial. I would recommend this location for a weekend .

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Noisy spa
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
santa barbara
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I found the management not to be very helpful. When I left our $15 dining room discount vouchers in the room, they would not let me give them when I checked out, and said they could not look into the computer to see if I had vouchers. I had to return to the room, a 10 minute walk each way in order to hand them the vouchers after dinner.. When I asked to speak to the manager, she was quite rude and there was no apology. Poor customer service.

Stayed September 2008
#1 of 32 in San Luis Obispo
Avila Lighthouse Suites
Avila Lighthouse Suites
#3 of 5 in Avila Beach

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!