“Wonderful Place, One Small Problem”

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at Sycamore. Staff was friendly, the surroundings were terrific, and the hot tubs were a special treat! The rooms we stayed in were a little old but they were clean. The one problem came when we, as paying guests, asked for the staff to do something a little out of their job description. Here is the situation: I accidentally locked my keys in the car at Avila Beach, just 2 miles away. I called the hotel staff, which had initially given the impression they were willing to "bend over backwards", and asked them to go into our room, get my wife's purse (which had a spare key inside) and drive it to our location. This would have required a total of 10 minutes. No one would help us so my wife and I walked back in our flip-flops, then payed to rent a tandem bike at the hotel, and then rode back to get the car. Then, my wife drove the car while I rode the tandem bike alone back to the hotel. We made the best out of it and had a good time together but I just wonder if this the way that this resort ought to treat its guests.

• Stayed: May 2013
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent experience at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. While we do not offer a traditional shuttle service from our property we certainly do understand that at times unusual issues like yours do come up. We always strive to provide the best experience for our guests and I am sorry you did not experience the level of guest service that we expect from our staff. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of the resort and the outdoor hot tub experience. Thank you again and we hope to have the honor of serving you in the future

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Started to stay in the main resort area but we've been here before and asked for a suite over in the West Meadow. Greatest secret they have! We hot tubbed before supper and then indulged by treating ourselves to the Chef's Garden Party for supper. We returned to the cabin to relax in front of the fireplace. What's not to love?

And this is just the first evening!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We spent 1 night here on our tour of California.

Arrived around 5pm and check-in was smooth. Given the keys to the room and a map as the rooms are spread out on the hillside.

You couldn't park at the room so had to carry the bags but in fairness we were asked if we needed help, I just didn't think it was going to be as far as it was!

The room was ok - I'd probably give it a 7 out of 10.

The balcony had the promised mineral hot tub (I think all their rooms do?), which is empty and you fill to your desired temperature. The hot tub/balcony was a little dated and to be honest wasn't that appealing - you're sort of blocked in on both sides of the balcony (presumably for privacy) but with being on a mid-floor we also had another balcony above us. It just felt quite dark and hemmed in to be honest.

We used the hot tub later that evening and I've quite partial to a room with a hot tub, but this one wasn't great. Ok I know it smelt because of the minerals in the water, but the whole set up seemed a little "gimmicky". Just the way the taps and all the pipework were exposed.....it wasn't that great.

We didn't have dinner in the resort, instead choosing to head down to Pismo Beach to see what it was like.

We left the following morning by 9am as wanted to get down to Santa Monica for the next 4nts of the holiday.

I'd probably give the room itself a 7 out of 10, but the balcony and hot tub were probably only worth a 4 out of 10.

I'm not saying I wouldn't stay again, but it would be unlikely, the whole hotel/resort had a bit of a "Dirty Dancing Kellerman's" feel to it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank art200380
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hot tub reservation process was pretty easy and they didn't need a credit card to reserve, they have checkin in the gift shop, which is geared toward selling wine, refreshments and towel rental ($2) but we brought our own towels and asked for a plastic cup to fill with drinking fntn. water. The $35 fee for 2 people was a little high for the experience. The hot tubs are sizeable enough to stretch across the tub and submerge your shoulders next to one of the 4 sauna jets, that was a plus. However, when we first got there our tub temperature felt like it was below the avg. temperature listed on the site (seemed like below 100), but I could not find any way to read the actual temperature, which did begin to get hotter after about 20 minutes or so. there isn't very much space to put folded clothes or electronics (cover for the hot tub took up 1/3 of the decking space also so not easy to walk around the tub). there is a dark green fabric/tarp stretched over wood siding around the tub so nothing to really look at while you're in the tub, but you can see stars overhead from the tub we used (Knoll). There was no clock so unless you wear watch or checked a phone you don't know exactly when your time is up. They give you a little map how to get to your tub, but there are wood stairways up to the various levels of tubs so if you require restroom facilities you must take stairways back down to the (single person) restroom. It's a nice luxury I guess, and I liked that there was minimal chlorine used, but I'm not sure whether I'd go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our weekend trip was a belated anniversary get away. I had heard good things about Sycamore Springs from friends, and they were repeat customers, so I was keen to try it. Overall, the experience was very good. Our queen suite (Elegance) was clean, quiet and comfortable. The hot tub jets did not work and we called the front desk. However, after a few tries, the jets started but were sporadic. The next night they didn't work again, but my husband managed to get them going and they were better than the previous night, with a little more power. The grounds are lovely, with lots of wildlife and foliage. We walked to Avila Village the first morning and had breakfast at Woodstone, which was nice. The walk to Avila Beach is great (you could also rent a bike). Our soak in Cove hot tub and our massages at the spa were very good. Now for the bad... We made a reservation at the Gardens of Avila restaurant weeks before our arrival. The first night of our stay, we had Happy Hour snacks in the bar and we noticed the slow service, lack of attention and general confusion on the part of the young staff (we arrived at 5:10 p.m. and were told Happy Hour finished at 6:00 p.m. - ???). When we arrived for our reservation the next night, at 7:30 p.m., we were told by the hostess that a large party had just been seated so we were to wait in the lobby or at the bar while their menus were being passed out. My husband took a look in the dining room and of the 12 tables inside, only seven were occupied and the "large" party was a party of six. No one was at any of the tables on the patio. After waiting 15 minutes, we decided to leave and find someplace else to eat. We are relatively patient people and if the restaurant had been full and they were trying to turn tables to accommodate us, it would have been a different story. Also, we don't consider a party of six a "large" party. What the lack of service said to us was that they were unable to cope with the customers that they took reservations for, that the staff are poorly trained, and maybe the kitchen is too slow to accommodate more than a few reservations at a time. We headed into San Luis Obispo and ate at a very good Italian place - Gennaro's. Would I return to Sycamore Springs - absolutely. Would I recommend it to others - absolutely. Not sure I would give Gardens of Avila another try however.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank smacthayer
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Planned a sister's getaway to celebrate a birthday and we found a groupon for Sycaomore Mineral Springs. With the Gruopon the pricing was ok. Not sure if we would have been happy at full price, but for what we paid we had a great deal. The room was fine, very clean, the outdoor hot tub served it's purpose: hot mineral spring water. We took care of the leaves that of course will fall into the tub, no big deal, filled it up and bubbled away until the water cooled. Since we wanted to head into downtown SLO, we emptied the tub, with the plans to refill it later. No big deal.

The shower pressure was terrible, though. Actually had a hard time rinsing my hair from shampoo. This is a drawback, and could be addressed with pressure pumps to get the water up the hill to the rooms. We used the showers in the spa, after a magnificent massage by Dan, and had great water pressure, so the pressure issue may be just in the rooms up the hill.

The yoga dome was a delight. We took advantage of the pilates and yoga classes in the morning and enjoyed them. The instructors were very professional and had the individuals working to their ability, which is so encouraging as well as safe.

The grounds were beautiful, walking trail over the bridge to Avila Beach was enjoyable, although difficult to find the cut off back to the hotel. I missed it twice, but got good exercise!.

We enjoyed the spa experience with massages and appreciate the 30 minute use of a hot tub prior to the massages. This got us warmed up and ready. My massage was wonderful, thank you Dan. My sister had a very deep tissue massage, which did much good, as she cut 4minutes off her 1/2 marathon time, when she ran this past weekend!!!

I had dinner in the dining room on my first nite at the resort. The service was excellent, food good, but a little overpriced. I would suggest exploring the many restaurants in SLO and use your money for the hillside hot tubs!

I would definitely recommend this resort to friends and would come back, with another groupon if available. Thank you for a wonderful birthday getaway.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking, do not ask for a room on the hillside it is a steep climb and parking i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am so surprised by the negative reviews. From the first moment I contacted the resort by telephone until we checked out of our suites, everything was magnificent. I suppose I was incredibly lucky to call when they were offering a special rate on queen spa suites. I booked two for our family of five siblings and 93-year old mother. They ensured that we were given a first-floor handicapped accessible suite. I hesitate to reveal the suite name because I want to be able to reserve it anytime I want! It was very large and also had a large dining table so the six of us could be together. The upstairs suite was lovely, too, but quite a bit smaller although I wouldn't have minded sleeping there. Furnishings were very nice, bathroom large and nicely appointed. We were provided extra towels and robes. We asked for and were granted late checkout. Yes, there were leaves in the hot tub but I'd rather clean a private hot tub on the patio of my suite than walk to use a hot tub that other people have used (even if they are cleaned after each use.) Yoga and Pilates classes were first rate. Gorgeous studio with all the equipment provided. We plan to make Sycamore Springs an annual trip. If you treat people graciously, they are more than willing to be hospitable and to make your stay as nice as possible.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Avila Beach
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn
#5 of 32 in San Luis Obispo

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!