“THE BEST tubs!”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Pacific Grove, California
“THE BEST tubs!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We came here for the tubs after a triathlon in Arroyo Grande this past weekend, and it was the PERFECT post-triathlon relaxation. The staff here is very friendly and accommodating, and the private tubs were incredible. If you have ever taken a hike on any central coast inland trail and dreamed of plopping a mineral springs hot tub down right in the center of that wonderful nature, that's exactly what these tubs are like! Nature, healing, seclusion, connection, fantastic!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We LOVED our one bedroom suite! It was quite and relaxing! They have the BEST HIKES in the day and the hot tubs on your private deck are perfect !! Our massage in the spa was TRULEY one of a kind and I felt like a princess!! We left feeling rested and relaxed!!! Def coming back sooner than later!

• Stayed March 2013
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Large group of friends stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, plenty of room! Very comfy beds. Private and beautiful location. The spas are great too. We enjoyed good food at the small bar/grill. Great place to stay while wine tasting...I recommend ;)

• Stayed March 2013
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I made reservations for 1 hot tub for 2 people for 2 hours several days before our arrival. I asked if they had food to purchase for the tubs and they said yes. Upon arrival, I checked in and asked where I could purchase food. They pointed me to their selection of chips and drinks. No, thank you -- this is not what a I call food. I asked for their hotel restaurant and they directed me to them. Thankfully the restaurant inside the hotel allowed me to order at 1:50pm even though they were closing the kitchen at 2pm.

When I got back to the reservation desk, they provided me with the map on where to find our tub. They said to come back by 3:30pm (approximately 1 hour of tub time). I told them I wanted 2 hours and they said, Ok we charged you for 1 for now, but here is our phone #, call us around 3-3:15 if you decide to stay for another hour and we will charge you for the 2nd hour on your way out. I said sure, thanks. FYI --Prior to leaving registration for the tubs, they pour your bottled wine in plastic cups.

It was a beautiful area. I love the woodsy/outdoorsy type of location. We walked up 5 flights of stairs in the nature and got to our tub. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the hot tub because we just came from ATVing. We were dead tired. So we just sulked in all the mineral water. It was a good heated temperature and perfect size for two people. It was so quiet and peaceful and I love how each had its own individual path out of the stairway to get to the tubs. I loved that part. But again after reading my other reviews, I’m about service so that can ruin my stay or adventure anywhere.

About 3pm I get out the tub to call the front desk to extend for another hour. The phone rang for about 2 minutes until someone picked up. When they did they put me on hold right away. I waited again for another several minutes. Finally when they attended to me, I asked to extend for another hour. She said hold on let me see if it’s available. I’m put on hold again and when she comes back on the phone, she says we cannot extend because it’s booked. I immediately became furious because I previously told her upon check in I wanted 2 hours. They told me to call to extend because they already charged me for 1 hour. Then they tell me they can’t extend because someone else booked it?! I was so upset. I told them YOU told me to call back, and they said, yeah, but it's for you to call to check if it's been reserved. WOW, really? Oh and I didn't get an apology either! I got off the phone and we got ready to head out because our hour was up.

Needless to say, I will not come back nor will I recommend this place to anyone. I cannot recommend it after the poor service/experience. There are other hot tubs/springs in the area – just saying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nsison1
SycamoreGuestService, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding our private mineral spring hot tubs rentals. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed their tranquility and therapeutic benefits, which is perfect to relax your muscles after a day on an ATV. Our spa manager has reviewed your concerns with her staff to prevent this from happening in the future. The guest service agent was trying to make it convenient for you in case you decided to just stay an hour you wouldn't be charged for two hours but it should have been communicated to you in more detail. I apologize for the inconvenience and I am happy to give you a complimentary hour hot tub rental in the future the next time you are in the area. We would love to have you back to visit us.
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My sisters and I loved every minute of our stay at this beautiful resort down the road from the lovely little beach town of Avila Beach. The suite was beautiful with a comfortable bed, large user friendly bathroom, private hot tub on the patio, etc. The Oasis was a gorgeous spot to soak in the waterfalls hot pool. The mineral tubs were old, but served their purpose. We were very impressed with the friendliness of the employees.

Room Tip: The suite is well worth the extra you pay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought the way the tubs were set up was so cool. On an Oak shaded hillside all private. Great mineral water. Id never been to Avila Beach either which was very cool. Kinda like Capitola Village in my hometown. The hotel looked nice and updated in certain areas. The tubs were a little dated but who cares. I couldn't imagine the maintenance bills on that property. Very romantic place. Definitely on a must do list! We went in the day time but I bet the nigh time is spectacular. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sargey72
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have been coming to Sycamore for many years now. The reason is the mineral springs. We try and stay in the Harmony Building 2nd floor because of the outdoor hot tubs right outside the room. There is nothing more relaxing and romantic than looking at the stars while soaking. A side note we always stop by Avila Valley Barn on the way to the 101 highway for fresh farm products and baked goods.

Room Tip: 2 floor Harmony building
#2 of 32 in San Luis Obispo
Avila La Fonda Hotel
Avila La Fonda Hotel
#1 of 5 in Avila Beach

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!