“Central Coast History”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Auberry, California
“Central Coast History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

You can tell when you stay here that this resort has so much history which is fun. The rooms are large as they were once built for those who needed therapy, to come and stay for weeks. It is a very peaceful environment. Hiking, cycling, exercising are right outside your door. The sleepy beach town of Avila is just 2 miles away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dotttt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Korean first
paso robles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Just got back from my stay at Sycamore Mineral Springs. The stay was for my birthday, but we came to Sycamore because my girlfriend and I recived a gift certificate for Christmas to come here. I'll just list the pros and cons from MY experience here.
Pro: Staff seemed nice, we called for ice and it showed up within 15 minutes. The mineral hot tub was very nice.

Con: We stayed in what I belive in a standard room, not any bigger then any other hotel and was pretty small for the price we payed. We stayed in the week day Nov 3 a thursday till friday.
The room we stayed was labeled delight, there were blinds broken/missing on the sliding door although it didnt matter much because we left before the sun came up.
We also booked a non smoking room yet, when we went on our balcony we instany smelled smoke, over the sulfur water smell. I'm not sure if there are other smoking rooms near us but it was just not pleasent. The walls and ceiling were VERY thin. I could hear the guest above me going to the bathroom and having a conversation. Although, that was too much of a problem. what we had a problem with was the guest seemed to be stomping all around the room non stop.... seriously non stop from around 9pm till midnight. Around 11:30pm we called the front desk to see if something could be done since we couldnt get to sleep, and we were getting kinda angry about it. We were told someone would go upstairs and see what the problem was. This place is for relaxing right? So the noise finally stoped, till 4:30am they started stomping around again. We both tried to tough it out but called it quits at 6:30am and checked out by 7am.
For 180 bucks a night (locals special) I would never recommend this place unless you stayed in a single story, or were lucky enough to get an upstairs room. We booked this room over 6 months inadvance and were not asked if upstairs or downstairs was wanted.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room or single story.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank clay b
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I have stayed here twice now. Each time has been just what we wanted. For us its an easy drive up the coast but it feels like we have gone on a extended vacation.
My wife is from Japan and she said the best meal she has had in the USA was here.
The room we reserved was on the other side of the creek and was very private. It had the mineral water hot tub on the back patio and a nice warm fireplace in the room. The towels, the sheets and the rest of the room were of top quailtiy.
Looking at my calendar now to book another trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William A
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were up in the area and looking for a place to stay. I had seen this hotel and hot springs on line but didn't make a reservation. We decided to drive by and check it out. The staff was very friendly and professional. We decided to look at the room before committing. The rooms were old and dingy. There was a private jacuzzi on the balcony. I did have a heavy sulfur smell due to the natural hot springs. We had expected that, but for the price I had pictured the room to be nicer than a Hotel 6. The location is set in a mountain area with oak trees all around. It's a very nice location. The restaurant looked very nice and you can rent private hot tubs by the hour that are set in the woods. They actually looked very nice. This place has so much potential, but definitely need some updating of the rooms. We decided not to stay here. For less money we had an ocean view room in Pismo Beach that was very nice.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reallyreen
Fresno, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Have stayed there on one other occasion and room was located across the street from hotel, that was a pleasant and well maintained room (perhaps new or newer), not sure. Our stay was on 10/27/11 and was in a room called "Virtue"; and that was where the disappointment was felt. This room was in need of some serious attention. The wood counter was damaged and needed to be refinished, the spa looked so old that we didn't want to use it (and didn't). The room is pictured quite beautifully in their brochure, but looks far different once you stay there. We stayed on a Thursday night, which is supposed to be less expensive from weekend rates and that room came to a total of $201.00; way too much money for how it is advertised. Had just stayed at Pismo at Sandcastle (beach front view) and wanted to end vacation with the spa that we had remembered; HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. The only plus is the beauty of its setting. All in all, my advise is this- ASK TO LOOK AT THE ROOM BEFORE PAYING THEIR RESORT PRICES". "Virtue" was a low budget hotel room...and we wished we would have ended our vacation right where we were...looking at the ocean at Sandcastle Inn.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you stay. Ours was a "Queen Suite w/ no AC"....not clean & nee...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Denise E
, Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our resort. I am sorry your most recent stay in our Noble Suites were not as enjoyable as your past stay in our West Meadows Suites. We are currently in the process of updating our Noble Suites and are almost complete. I am sorry you did not have the opportunity to stay in our updated suite, I feel you would have enjoyed our updated furnishings. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our grounds. We hope to see you again in the future and would be happy to inform you of our updated rooms.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I took a chance on this place and am so happy I did. Got a great online price for a mineral spring hot tub double bed room in harmony bldg on second floor. The view from my hot tub was the hillside. Some of the other bldgs don't have such awesome views or are as quiet. This room was great. As for the room itself.....not so nice. Bed was super new and comfy but looked like it had a card table and armoire from some local garage sale, scratched and finish coming off in a big way. Blinds didn't open. So don't go there expecting luxury rooms. Looked like some of the more e pensive rooms were newer and nicer but nowhere near as secluded and quiet. That's what I came for. The heated pool was nice though not in the best shape. Needs some attention. But the hike up from the hotel parking lot is spectacular. Don't miss it. It's steep but stop and take pics along the way as I did. The view is amazing! The town of Avila beach is quiet and charming. Eat at petes cafe on San Luis pier.
Go to hotel for hot tub, location and good nights sleep. If you want luxury accommodations, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Kelly1558
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I had a mixed experience. I had really been looking forward to staying here, but was disappointed by many things. First, the grounds itself are nice with lots of plants and the bridge across to the trail and labyrinth is very impressive. However, the overall peaceful grounds are surrounded by a major road which makes it very distracting to be in the natural surroundings of the area. Second, the place is in need of updating. My room was very dark and small (there was barely enough room to put my toiletries bag on the sink) and the hot tub outside was dirty. Apparently, no one cleaned it before we arrived. Even the door to go outside got stuck and the border of the wood looked like it was damaged. I just expected more quality in the room for the price we paid. Similarly, the heated pool was not heated and the chairs and tables outside were clearly outdated and dirty from dust also. Thirdly service was mixed. While everyone was very friendly, things just did not run smoothly. First, I when I checked in there was no one to help us to our room. This was especially challenging because I had a toddler with me, it was the first time we had been to the place, and we were staying on a pretty high hill. This made it quite challenging especially because the room key had a room number, but those numbers are not on the doors to the place. Second, I asked for more towels, but never received any. Third, I asked about towels at the pool which someone said they had available at the pool, but they never told me that I would have to ask for the towels at the gift shop. So I had to shlepp my stuff and my kid to the pool and then back to the gift shop to get the towels after stopping at the spa to ask about the towels.

Overall, I just don't think for how much they charge its worth the price. In addition, they just didn't make it easy for me or enjoyable. I didn't think people went the extra mile.

Room Tip: I would get a suite or a room that is on an upper floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 5 in Avila Beach
Quality Suites San Luis Obispo
Quality Suites San Luis Obispo
#1 of 32 in San Luis Obispo

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!