“Married Men, Beware - Don't sleep on the cheap or you'll pay the price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Homestead Motel

Homestead Motel
Ranked #31 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Laguna Beach, California
“Married Men, Beware - Don't sleep on the cheap or you'll pay the price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had been married about 3-4 months and thought I'd carry my bachelor-like habits of hotel finding on to married life. We called around and found the "best deal" (read cheapest) for a hotel for the weekend. Homestead gave us some deal like $50/night. That should have been a sign! Nevertheless, we said great, we'll take it. Finding the place was the next warning (the address is on the freeway on-ramp). The "pool" looks like its been under construction since I was in diapers. The room is not well lit and the carpet and sheets were filthy. We laid out clothes and slept on top of them, trying not to come in contact with anything in the room. I would have bet that there was at least 1 mouse/rat in the room and plenty of cockroaches. Horrible, horrible hotel. I learned my lesson to never stay at the cheapest hotel in town form that experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Peter_Hartshorne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Dirtiest hotel I stayed in California. The people who owed that place don’t care; cleaning couple don’t speak English/ or pretend that don’t understand, management is lazy. The place is disgrace.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Viktor B

Travelers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I booked into this motel on a Friday night and I needed a cheap place to stay. You definitely get what you pay for. The room smelled heavily of cleaner - some sort of carpet powder or something. The room is badly in need of a renovation - there are paint chips and various patch up jobs all over the walls; the bathroom looks like it was straight out of the 60s (al least the water was hot); but the worst thing was the carpeting - it was sticky and it literally blackened the soles of my feet!

On the plus side - the beds were comfortable - if badly made up - and the room had good AC.

I would personally never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SinbadEasy
bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I don't enjoy writing negative comments and this is a tough one because the owner was actually a nice guy and I'm aware that this is his business and is trying to make a living etc BUT they need to make some improvements in order for this motel to be worth visiting. It wasn't awfully cheap ($75 after we bartered) and the room was poor. Shabby furniture, a really strong chemical (pesticide?) smell and generally quite dirty-looking. The shower was so bad I didn't even bother using it. Everywhere else was full otherwise I think we would have gone elsewhere and we were quite glad to be leaving in the morning. Definitely needs some money spending on it to make it a viable option.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ab36
central Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We actually rented 2 rms. Ours was awful, our friends was ok. Our rm stunk so bad we had to air it out, bathroom door didn't shut, water temp didn't stay constant . But the worst was the floor. My feet were black 2 min after I got out of the shower.
But r friends rm was bigger, clean and had headboards. And a bathroom door that shut. LUCK OF THE DRAW ;)

• Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank shyanne4
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

We were surprised. When we opened our room, it was scary to go in, everything is dirty, they never vacuum the carpet, the are holes on the carpets. they never did dusting because spider webs everywhere. Holes on the walls. Pillows and sheets are dirty. Furnitures are rotten and broken. Doors are broken and ripped apart. We had to use a little towel for a holder. Air conditioning/heater is not working, it was so cold, it's like we were inside a freezer. There's a rusty dirty microwave in the room including a rusty dirty refrigerator. We didn't use the motel blanket, we used our own blanket that we brought from home. There's a tag or graffiti inside a drawer. There's blood mark on the wall. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE (HOMESTEAD MOTEL IN SAN LUIS OBISPO). It was a nightmare. Why we stayed in this place because the teacher from our kid's school reserved that place. We should have known and we could have done our own reservation somewhere else. I feel sorry for the other students that stayed in that place and of course for us too. I don't know who checks the conditions of the motels and hotels, they should close HOMESTEAD MOTEL because they are cheating visitors, guests of that town. For short...WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOT STAY IN HOMESTEAD MOTEL IN SAN LUIS OBISPO. Don't tell us that we didn't alarm you. DO NOT STAY HERE....DO NOT STAY HERE....DO NOT STAY HERE....DO NOT STAY HERE....DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY YOUR GOODNIGHT SLEEP............so all the photos you see for their advertisement for their hotel looks descent but if you're already there, you will regret it. We took some pictures for you to see the reality. Don't forget to view my photos. I have to click the "Rate This Hotel" or else my review will not go through.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN HOMESTEAD MOTEL SAN LUIS OBISPO.
Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank PGreen57
Ventura, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The previous review pretty much says it all, but I guess I got a nicer room, because I didn't have as many problems. The pro's were that the hotel has FREE wireless internet, and that meant a lot to me because I had some work to do. You can't even get that in most Las Vegas hotels. The beds and sheets were clean. Again, a HUGE plus. The mini-fridge and microwave in the room is a nice touch, too.

But there are lots of con's. No A/C (I didn't even see the stand-up fan until the next morning), so very stuffy. Terrible continental "breakfast". Tiny muffins from the store and no juice, just coffee. I agree that the owner's accent prevents any normal conversation. This motel is only good if you're arriving late and leaving early in the morning. No lady would stay there.

As for price and number of beds, I got my room on the internet, and the price said $49.99 for one queen and $50.00 for two! The owner told me all his rooms have two queens. But the previous reviewer said all they had was one???

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo