“Who opened the box of pinkalicious?”

Alex Madonna's Gold Rush Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Alex Madonna's Gold Rush Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 304 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 101 & Madonna Rd Exit
Transit: Bus stop at the entrance to the World famous Madonna Inn property.
Description: Located at Madonna Inn, the Alex Madonna's Gold Rush Steak House is a landmark destination for its whimsical décor and classic menu. Featuring outstanding oak-pit barbequed steaks, a superb wine list, world-famous cakes and pies, and outstanding service. The menu also features abalone, lamb, Australian lobster, chicken, and vegetarian entrees. The Silver Bar Cocktail Lounge serves an assortment of specialty drinks along with appetizers. Music and dancing nightly.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Pink and frilly to the point of silly. But, as they say if you are going to go gawdy go all the way. Order the steak, the fish was a wretched mistake on my part. The carved wood was worth the visit alone. The pink champaign cake was a perfectly appropriate finalle, and worth the calories. But really...order the beef. Oh, and bring your dancing shoes. You will need to find something to do while you are waiting for your dinner to trickle out from the kitchen s-l-o-w-l-y. I did a little sight-seeing between the salad and the cold, dry, tough fish course and some shopping in the various shops while waiting for dessert. We were a party of 13 but they are set up for large groups so it should not have challenged the wait staff as much as it seemed to the evening we were there. The olive rosemary bread was good.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Since moving to SLO, my husband and I head down to the steak house for delicious food and good people watching. It gets a bad rap for being expensive and for the old school decor. I always feel like going here takes you to a different era, and the dining experience reminds me of country club weddings from the 80's--Gold wrapped potatoes and chilled salad fork type of deal. What we love is the food is always, ALWAYS delicious, and the service is never bad. That sort of consistently is really appreciated. Kudos to the Steakhouse servers and staff for a great job.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff were polite and we didn't have a long wait to be seated even though it was fairly busy. The food was really good.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This stunningly beautiful restaurant will hit you like a kid in a candy store! Every inch is lovingly decorated in old time elegance plus a canvas of eye popping pink from the carved doorway to the column of gigantic blooms to the dance floor. If you watched Lawrence Welk , this is the time era you are transported to. Usually if we ask a wait staff to take a photo of us, we get 1 or 2 snaps. The gentleman we asked took us from 4 views and was so enthusiastic taking our photos as well as refilling our glasses and keeping our table cleared. The servings were huge and tasty. We ordered dessert to go. The live music is dreamy. Come with someone you love and bring your credit card - it's worth every penny of your 3 digit check.
If you must dine at one lavish restaurant in your lifetime, I'd choose here.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, I spent the night at the Madonna Inn while traveling up the coast (see separate review of hotel stay). I complemented my stay with dinner at the Gold Rush Steak House, and am happy with the decision.

Even if you're not staying at the hotel, a stop at the Gold Rush for dinner to experience the gaudy, pink, over-the-top dining room is a worthwhile experience. Just be sure to bring some sunglasses - or a couple of tablets of Tylenol, as the frilly, mid-1950s, California-Baroque decorations are a strain on the eyes....

That said, the meal was very good - a pleasant surprise for a small-sized, out-of-the-way city. My server's name, I believe, was Heather, and she did a great job. I was dining solo, and she picked up on the fact that I didn't want to be rushed very quickly, which I appreciated. Also, she was quite knowledgeable about the restaurant's wine offerings, and when she figured out that I was a "serious wino," became quite helpful and forthcoming with recommendations and information. The menu is extensive and, when one considers that meals include soup or salad, main, starch and veggies, is reasonably priced. I ordered the prime rib, which was cooked perfectly to my specifications. While the taste certainly isn't going to put Lawry's or San Francisco's House of Prime Rib out of business, it was tasty. I was definitely satisfied with the taste of the meal (and the service), and was only disappointed that the meal was so big that I didn't have room for the famous "pink champagne cake" afterwords!

The Gold Rush Steakhouse is not a five-star dining experience, and does not serve five-star food. But for a decent meal along the 101, in an unforgettable setting, it is definitely recommendable. I would return again, as well as recommend to friends.