“Quite good Indian food”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Shalimar is in a fairly basic building, but the food and service were quite good. They did a good job in fitting our tastes on spicyness, and we enjoyed all the dishes that we had ordered.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have two daughters attending Cal Poly, one is a vegan and the other a vegetarian, and whenever we visit them in SLO, going out for a family dinner at Shalimar is a must. It is our favorite Indian restaurant, and although they have a pretty extensive menu, we always end up ordering the vegetable Samosas, a couple of different Naans, Chicken Tikka Masala, Karahi Chicken, Chana Masala, and a couple of plates of basmati rice. The dishes are spiced just right, and the portions are generous (we always bring home leftovers). The ambience is warm and genuine, and we always feel very welcome. The host/proprietor Aasim Sajjad, is especially charming and friendly, and he makes us feel like family. We were in SLO recently during the holidays, and found the restaurant to be extremely busy, standing room only. We expected to wait a while, but Aasim managed to get us seated very quickly. Shalimar restaurant is a hidden jewel in SLO and we highly recommend it!

1  Thank KikoSadie
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Love their Nam and Spinach Paneer! We also had a shrimp with Potato curry but it is just fine (the shrimp is quite small and the sauce is kind of un-authentic). Their Basmati rice is great with a lot of flavor!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We ate the lunch buffet in this welcoming, authentic Indian restaurant. The ambience needs some help as does the cleanliness of the floor and paintwork. However, the food was very good and the service attentive and friendly.

My major concern was the temperature at which the buffet was served. We were early into the lunch time buffet, but certain 'hot' foods were barely warm. I believe there are food hygiene standards that regulate this type of food presentation. I did eat most dishes, even the barely warm ones, and lived to tell the tale, but will not return until enough time has passed after my review so that the owners and staff can pay better attention to this important matter. Please preheat the buffet dishes to regulation temperature and ensure they are kept hot during the buffet service.

1  Thank SanDiegoMoxie
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I think it's fair to say that the Brits LOVE Indian food, and so my husband and I made a bee line for the Shalimar when we stayed in St Luis Obispo, recently. We can't praise this restaurant enough. The food was absolutely exquisite (in fact my mouth's watering now, from the memory!), the menu was extensive, it took me ages to order because I wanted to try everything - but of course I couldn't! I'd have been there all night. Anyway, if you're in the area and craving a good Curry, look no further! From the moment you enter the restaurant you're going to experience excellent customer service, very attentive staff, TRULY FANTASTIC AND MOUTH WATERING FOOD and an overall experience that you'll want to repeat time after time. Unfortunately, I'm at home in Manchester, UK, but would give anything to book a table at the Shalimar for this evening! Instead I'm going to have to make do with my home made version, which, quite frankly, isn't half bad!

2  Thank Vivaldi1066