“mixed feelings!!!”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
poole, dorset
“mixed feelings!!!”
Reviewed June 10, 2006

My husband and I and another couple booked to stay in a family suite as we were told it had two bedrooms with a shared bathroom. No problem we thought..until we arrived! You opened the front door onto one bedroom with a huge four poster bed that left no room for anything else. The second bedroom had two queen sized beds which were fine but the room was in a motel block that was right next to Highway 101. The noise was deafening. We went to reception and complained. The receptionist said it was a busy weekend and all the rooms were booked. She offered us ear plugs to block out the noise. We told her that was unacceptable. Nowhere on their web-site does it mention how close the rooms are to the road. It does say "3-diamond motel setting at the Trellis Court surrounded by shade trees, flower gardens and mountain views. " Very misleading. Anyway, she said she would speak to a supervisor. He came back to us and offered us one room with two queen beds for the four of us. We told him we were friends but not that friendly. Perhaps he thought we were swingers. We told him we were insulted at his offer and very unhappy at the misleading information on the web-site. As he had nothing else to offer us we had to stay in the cramped and noisy conditions for one night. The next night we were all moved into two separate rooms in the main hotel building that were fabuluous. Very spacious, nicely decorated and cosy - and all at no extra charge (we should think so too!We told him that the information on the web-site should be changed to advise people of the road noise. He said he would put our point forward. So far, no change! So if you're thinking of staying at Apple Farm make sure you don't stay in the motel buildings and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank sjh50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Manasquan, NJ
Reviewed June 8, 2006

This place has a country/victorian decor'.....single men/business travellers, not for you. The room was extremely clean and neat, but felt like I was staying in a 13 yr old girl's room.....mind you I'm a 31 yr old man. Very good location, downtown is a two minute car ride and quick to highway 101 in the morning. The (country) resturant was very good for breakfast. It was a perfect stop on our way down the Cali coast with my girlfriend....as I said, extremely clean. Check their website for specials.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank mhrunge
Encinitas, California
Reviewed May 21, 2006

We stayed here for one night in the Inn. The had a great deal on their website called "Tanks for Staying" - $129/night and included a $20 gas certificate. The inn provides great extras: wine reception in the afternoon, cookies/cider/tea in the evening, sparkling cider in your room, nice bath products - including lip gloss. The room was spacious, clean and charming! Though the property is right off the 101, once you are inside it feels like a country inn. Would definitely recommend it - especially with this deal. We wanted to add another night, but they said the rate would be the rack rate of $219. That seemed too high, so we moved on...

6 Thank dg_in_ca
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2006

My husband and I just spent two days at the Apple Farm in SLO. What a treat! Our room was beautifully decorated in a tasteful country decor. Our king size bed was comfortable and cozy. The bathroom was very clean and roomy. We took advantage of their jacuzzi and swimming pool both days and never encounter another soul. We can't wait to return.

5 Thank PetiteAmie
Temple City, CA
Reviewed May 11, 2006

My best friend (from Sacramento) and I (from Los Angeles) met up in SLO for a girls weekend out. I chose to book a room at the Apple Farm since it mentioned having a spa, so I figured we could get massages on site.

We were given room #35 in the Trellis Court. It was the room closest to the freeway entrance. Thre was a lot of noise from the traffic, the room and bathroom were really small, but decorated very nice. The beds were sooooo comfortable and the fresh flowers in the bathroom was a nice touch. The decor was better than I expected. I was expecting flowers everywhere, but it was tastefully done with a blue and gold theme, with cool throw pillows on the bed. We didn't get an apple or turn down service as was mentioned in the other reviews.

The "spa" was one room in the former lobby of where the Trellis Court is located, with one therapist. My friend and I had to book our massages one at a time. It was a nice massage, but I was expecting an actual spa (with a steamroom, sauna, jacuzzi, etc.).

I enjoyed the afternoon reception - we were able to enjoy some nice wine, tea and desserts. Touring the millhouse was also a fun experience. I just wish I could have purchased the Apple Merlot, which I hear is excellent (they were sold out).

The service was good, all the staff was very friendly. I just received a post card today from the Apple Farm to thank us for our stay. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank AChau
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We have not been to the AFI in at least 5 years or so. I was worried that it wasnt going to be as nice as I remembered. I was not disapointed. THE AFI was even more lovely than I remember it. Very very clean, flowers in bloom, great room, nice staff. My only major problem was the mattress. IT WAS HORRIBLE!! We stayed 2 nights and I could hardly walk. My husband mentioned it to the front desk at check out and apparently they are going to be replacing them throught the inn soon. Other than that, our stay was great.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
los angeles, ca
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Just stayed at the Inn this past weekend. The room (we stayed in the Inn) was quite large. Loved the complimentary appetizer hour at 3:30 and cookie hour at 7:00 along with the on going coffeee, tea and hot cider in the lobby. Staff is very friendly. The hotel's attention to detail make this Inn what it is. But be warned if you are not into "Country" charm this place is not for you....

• Stayed February 2006