“A delightful hotel!”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed July 17, 2005

The Apple Farm Inn is the perfect place to stay if you decide to visit San Luis Obispo. My boyfriend and I arrived around 4pm on Friday afternoon where a friendly rep checked us in promptly and we eagerly went to our room (318) which turned out to be fantastic! There were so many details not normally found in other hotels rooms. We got a King Deluxe room and the first thing we saw as we walked in was a welcoming note and a complimentary apple to take with us as a souvenir. The room normally comes scented but due to our allergies we requested earlier that they not scent it. The bathroom was large and had the usual shampoo, lotion, and shower cap along with extras such as cotton balls, q-tips, lip balm, and a small bouquet of flowers. The only bad thing about the room was the shower head; they really need to upgrade them. The bedroom includes a desk and a sofabed. They also had a cd player on one of the night stands with a cd to listen to if you wish. Our desk held information on San Luis Obispo and a basket which contained some Hershey Kisses and two small bottles of sparking apple cider. It was already 4:30 so we decided to join the evening reception by the Millhouse. (The reception is every day from 3:30-5pm) It was quite lovely, the attendant offered us wine, sparking apple cider, or iced tea. The snacks were cubes of zucchini bread, cheese bread, and small peanut butter cookies. We relaxed there for about an hour and the attendant refilled out glasses a few times. For browsing pleasure, check out the Millhouse which sells their boysenberry preserves, crafts, and other odds and ends. They even sell their apple cider and homemade ice cream! Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to taste their ice cream but I’m sure it’s quite good. We then went to explore downtown and by the time we returned, there were cookies and hot apple cider available in the lobby. We slept wonderfully, we heard no outside noise at all! The next morning I bought two blueberry muffins and some milk from the restaurant and brought it back to the room. Lots of food for a total of $5! Be sure to ask for their boysenberry preserves on the side, it goes great with the muffins! We were out for most of the day but when we returned in the afternoon our room was clean. I went to the evening reception again which was nice but they had the same snacks, they should change it every other day. We had a turndown service that night which included two mints on a pillow with a cute “Sweet Dreams” note. We ate at their restaurant the following morning and luckily I had made reservations in advance (our 9am reservation would normally have had a 30 minute wait). My French toast and apple link sausage were excellent and my boyfriend had an egg scramble mix which came with a choice of toast, muffin, or biscuit. Our waitress was friendly and made sure we were happy with our meal. (If you eat at the restaurant for breakfast and charge it to your room, you will receive $5.00 off of the charged amount.) It was then time to pack up and say goodbye to the Apple Farm. Everything was perfect and our visit went entirely too fast, but I will definitely be back in the future!

16  Thank Enya
There are newer reviews for Apple Farm Inn

Reviewed July 11, 2005

We (4 adults) stayed 2 nights in a rather large comfortable room in the Inn. The beds were the most comfortable on our 12 day, 4 hotel trip. The sitting area was a nice extra. Other nice touches were the complimentary cookies, hot apple cider, tea & coffee available in the lobby in the evening. Also a nice touch was the afternoon cocktail with wines & hors d'oeuvres on the outside patio. We also had two breakfasts and one dinner in the restaurant. The food was good but a little on the pricey side. A full breakfast should include coffee. It was also very annoying to have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for every meal when there clearly were available tables in the restaurant. The grounds are well maintained & picture perfect. We took many photos of the gardens. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would return if ever in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank Barto
Reviewed July 4, 2005

That is of course the 1950's. What a great inn (motel)!!! Spent one night over July 4th weekend in Mill Barn 2. Pricey but worth every penny spent. The room was immaculate and the service was too. I really appreciated the exceptional landscaping. Ate breakfast and dinner at their restaurant: great value. Service and food was well above average. I've read other comments about the excessive use of floral patterns in some rooms. They didn't bother me at all ---to each their own. If you happen to be fortunate enough to spend a few days in the San Luis Obispo area, give the Apple Farm Inn a try.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank pismore
Reviewed June 14, 2005

I tend to agree with another contributor who suggested the Apple Farm is in many respects a good hotel but a little chintzy for his taste.

However while taste is subjective, there is no denying that it is obviously a well run property worthy of its 4 Diamond rating. I overcame my scepticism about the decor (as has been said SLO has rather limited choice of accomodation beyong generic chain hotels), and had a very pleasant stay recently in a enormous room booked off the website at a very fair price. Since we got into SLO rather late we also wandered into the hotel's restaurant where we had a most pleasant meal (again, not the sort of meal I would instinctively think of but undeniably good for its genre).

Speaking of price I might add that if possible book the hotel's internet rates which are far lower than identical accomodation booked speaking to their reservation staff.

6  Thank hughjorgan
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at the Apple Farm Inn and, also, the Trellis Court several times in the last few years. The Inn can be very expensive on weekends but the beautiful grounds help ease the pain. The Trellis Court rooms do not include the amenities found in the Inn and are considered a separate lodging. Although small in size, some of the Trellis Court rooms have private outdoor spas and all rooms have a gas fireplace.
The Inn has large rooms, each decorated differently. The staff members are friendly and professional. The restaurant has an excellent breakfast menu although I find the dinner offerings quite ordinary. Wait time and service can be inconsistent. Room service is expensive. ( Each regular menu item marked up a minimum of $2.oo and a 20% service charge!) Rooms do not include coffeemakers...not a good thing. No more carriage rides nor free hot cider and coffee in restaurant gift shop. World's best ice cream made in Mill house and available there and in restaurant. Excellent baked goods. The apple dumpling served hot with ice cream is to die for!!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2005

We got a great deal on Expedia For £35 per night at the Apple Farm. After seeing its graded by them at 4* and reading the reviews I thought we must be mistaken but no! It was EXCELLENT value for money. The room was a little chintzy for my husbands taste but the service and attention to detail was quite amazing. I would recommend this place to everyone.

When we arrived a little before check-in we were invitied to their guest reception for complimentary Apple Cider, Wine, Cookies & Biscuits. After sitting stuffing ourselves for an hour we checked into our room which was lovely and frilly and had chocolates on the pillow. We missed the Cookies & Coffee/Hot Chocolate at 7pm but thought we'd already eaten quite enough. We only stayed one night and when we arrived home to the UK a week or so later we received a postcard from Apple Farm hoping we'd enjoyed our stay and encouraging us to return. The service makes you feel so valued I'm sure alot of other hotels could learn from Apple Farm.

8  Thank TANYA66
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Let me first say that this place will not please everyone. It is in the middle of the country and it's a country inn. It appeals to every aspect of old time country charm and victorian decorating. The gardens, grounds are beautiful and the waterwheel, the old model T Ford set the mood of country.

My particular experience was purely by chance. I had a reservation at the Best Western down the street and after a fowled up reservation we decided to bolt and take our chances at the Apple Farm Inn. The price was what originally kept me away. The Best Western experience is a whole different sore subject with it ending with the dumb clerk saying they were sold out (after I had a reserved reservation) and finally the overworked manager (who was cleaning the rooms at nearly 8 pm) advising that while he was sorry the best he could offer was a room with a broken bed from the previous guests.... I will tell you the dumb, young clerk was clearly, clearly not interested in our problem. It was nearly 20 minutes to speak with the manager. The manager smoothed it over and we left feeling ok after speaking to the poor manager but we cut our losses and ran to the Apple Farm. Sometimes you just have to listen to the signs...

At 8:00 pm on Friday I called a good number of places in San Luis Obispo and understandably they were sold out. By chance we got the last room at the Apple Fram Inn and while I paid full fare I was happy to have a beautiful room in the Inn, lovely fireplace, pleasantly decorated room with nice touches everywhere. My two kids under 10 were blown away. This was a dream for them and they loved every part of it. What I will tell you mostly is that this place knows the meaning of service to customers. Service that you rarely see nowadays. I was treated with respect and dignity. Amazingly how this makes a difference. I didn't meet an unfriendly, unhelpful staff person anywhere on the premises.

If I had any thoughts it would be to keep the AC running. It seemed somehow stuffy all throughout the Inn (it was a 100 degree weekend) and just keep the AC on. It was hot everywhere.

I've stayed at the fanciest of Ritz, the Grand Californian, and everywhere in between and I can tell you that being pampered a little by good service is extraordinary. There were a good share of older folks but that's good. They have better manners than a bunch of young somethings that are load and obnoxious.

Property has a pool that looks wonderful but we didn't have a chance and I believe they have spa services. I'll be back to try them out.

I was with my two young children and initially didn't think this would be a good place when originally choosing a hotel. But, it was wonderful and they soaked up the good vibes of the garden and grounds. The restaurant was top notch. One of the best chinese chicken salads I've had, ever. And the Apple Farm chardonnay was very good... Good service, good setting and lots of floral stuff, tiffany type lamps. I'm appreciative of the grandma look as my husband would say. It's not for everyone but put yourself in the mood of years ago and it's marvelous. Think maybe even the Waltons.

In closing, I stumbled upon the best place around and wouldn't stay anywhere else on the trip again going through this route. I was refreshed and relaxed after 1 day even with my two kids.

If you're looking for glitz of Las Vegas type of a hotel it's not here. You must really be interested in relaxing and taking it easy here. I stayed in the Inn and can't comment on the outer rooms but I can tell you the place is run as a tight ship and it's exciting to see a nice property work so well.

Check the website for specials.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member