“Beautiful grounds, excellent staff”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at the Apple Farm Inn and, also, the Trellis Court several times in the last few years. The Inn can be very expensive on weekends but the beautiful grounds help ease the pain. The Trellis Court rooms do not include the amenities found in the Inn and are considered a separate lodging. Although small in size, some of the Trellis Court rooms have private outdoor spas and all rooms have a gas fireplace.
The Inn has large rooms, each decorated differently. The staff members are friendly and professional. The restaurant has an excellent breakfast menu although I find the dinner offerings quite ordinary. Wait time and service can be inconsistent. Room service is expensive. ( Each regular menu item marked up a minimum of $2.oo and a 20% service charge!) Rooms do not include coffeemakers...not a good thing. No more carriage rides nor free hot cider and coffee in restaurant gift shop. World's best ice cream made in Mill house and available there and in restaurant. Excellent baked goods. The apple dumpling served hot with ice cream is to die for!!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Apple Farm Inn

Reviewed June 4, 2005

We got a great deal on Expedia For £35 per night at the Apple Farm. After seeing its graded by them at 4* and reading the reviews I thought we must be mistaken but no! It was EXCELLENT value for money. The room was a little chintzy for my husbands taste but the service and attention to detail was quite amazing. I would recommend this place to everyone.

When we arrived a little before check-in we were invitied to their guest reception for complimentary Apple Cider, Wine, Cookies & Biscuits. After sitting stuffing ourselves for an hour we checked into our room which was lovely and frilly and had chocolates on the pillow. We missed the Cookies & Coffee/Hot Chocolate at 7pm but thought we'd already eaten quite enough. We only stayed one night and when we arrived home to the UK a week or so later we received a postcard from Apple Farm hoping we'd enjoyed our stay and encouraging us to return. The service makes you feel so valued I'm sure alot of other hotels could learn from Apple Farm.

8  Thank TANYA66
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Let me first say that this place will not please everyone. It is in the middle of the country and it's a country inn. It appeals to every aspect of old time country charm and victorian decorating. The gardens, grounds are beautiful and the waterwheel, the old model T Ford set the mood of country.

My particular experience was purely by chance. I had a reservation at the Best Western down the street and after a fowled up reservation we decided to bolt and take our chances at the Apple Farm Inn. The price was what originally kept me away. The Best Western experience is a whole different sore subject with it ending with the dumb clerk saying they were sold out (after I had a reserved reservation) and finally the overworked manager (who was cleaning the rooms at nearly 8 pm) advising that while he was sorry the best he could offer was a room with a broken bed from the previous guests.... I will tell you the dumb, young clerk was clearly, clearly not interested in our problem. It was nearly 20 minutes to speak with the manager. The manager smoothed it over and we left feeling ok after speaking to the poor manager but we cut our losses and ran to the Apple Farm. Sometimes you just have to listen to the signs...

At 8:00 pm on Friday I called a good number of places in San Luis Obispo and understandably they were sold out. By chance we got the last room at the Apple Fram Inn and while I paid full fare I was happy to have a beautiful room in the Inn, lovely fireplace, pleasantly decorated room with nice touches everywhere. My two kids under 10 were blown away. This was a dream for them and they loved every part of it. What I will tell you mostly is that this place knows the meaning of service to customers. Service that you rarely see nowadays. I was treated with respect and dignity. Amazingly how this makes a difference. I didn't meet an unfriendly, unhelpful staff person anywhere on the premises.

If I had any thoughts it would be to keep the AC running. It seemed somehow stuffy all throughout the Inn (it was a 100 degree weekend) and just keep the AC on. It was hot everywhere.

I've stayed at the fanciest of Ritz, the Grand Californian, and everywhere in between and I can tell you that being pampered a little by good service is extraordinary. There were a good share of older folks but that's good. They have better manners than a bunch of young somethings that are load and obnoxious.

Property has a pool that looks wonderful but we didn't have a chance and I believe they have spa services. I'll be back to try them out.

I was with my two young children and initially didn't think this would be a good place when originally choosing a hotel. But, it was wonderful and they soaked up the good vibes of the garden and grounds. The restaurant was top notch. One of the best chinese chicken salads I've had, ever. And the Apple Farm chardonnay was very good... Good service, good setting and lots of floral stuff, tiffany type lamps. I'm appreciative of the grandma look as my husband would say. It's not for everyone but put yourself in the mood of years ago and it's marvelous. Think maybe even the Waltons.

In closing, I stumbled upon the best place around and wouldn't stay anywhere else on the trip again going through this route. I was refreshed and relaxed after 1 day even with my two kids.

If you're looking for glitz of Las Vegas type of a hotel it's not here. You must really be interested in relaxing and taking it easy here. I stayed in the Inn and can't comment on the outer rooms but I can tell you the place is run as a tight ship and it's exciting to see a nice property work so well.

Check the website for specials.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2005

This was in many respects a nice hotel but was just too chintzy for our tastes. The room was huge and at $99 very good value. Everything you needed was there, it was clean and the staff were so helpful. The problem was it was just a bit over the top for our English tastes. We didn't stop for food so can't comment on that aspect. The room was quiet and the pool looked nice although we did not use it (a bit too cold by the time we had checked in).

4  Thank peterc