“Great Little get away”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed in a sweet that was in the turret above the lobby. It was dated but gorgeous. Tons of windows and a great tub for 2. At night we could hear the frogs singing in the pond with a water mill outside our room. The room itself was quite, I was surprised we could not hear more noise coming from the lobby below. I will come back to this room again. Truly amazing. We also ate ate the restaurant on the property and the food was yummy, we ate a fried apple dumpling for dessert that is making my mouth water just thinking about it. I can't wait to be able to go back!!! I'll have to add pictures of the Apple Farm Inn.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed April 27, 2009

This was a spot we loved, so it pains me to write this. Avoid Trellis rooms, worst value in SLO, second class citizen. Called it our "Troll Room", if we weren't laughing we would've been crying. Like a shoe box, but smaller.
Old shabby comforter, something bit me during the night. We were en-route to Big Sur and were celebrating our wedding anniversary, and wanted something low cost for a pit stop on our way up, paid $150, too much for this. Should have stayed at Bellaserra suites, or Pismo or Avila Lighthouse for similiar cost and for a suite. If you have to stay here make sure you stay in the main house. Staffed by local college kids. If you enjoy eating and like freshly prepared food, avoid restaurant. Breakfast probably is safe. When we expressed our concerns to the front house manager we were offfered a coupon for cookies. Hotel has been sold, what a difference in overall appearance and detail.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank californialovesu
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I was on a business trip and wanted to stay an extra night to relax and unwind in San Luis Obispo. I was seven months pregnant and thought it would be great to have a bit of time for myself. I had never stayed at The Apple Farm Inn before but on few prior occasions visited the Apple Farm Restaurant with my husband. I always admired the landscape and the grounds of the inn. Therefore, I was looking forward to my upcoming stay there after my business meeting was done.

My stay ended up being anything but pleasant. I have stayed at many hotels and inns at different price ranges and have never had such an uncomfortable stay anywhere before. I would of been better off sleeping in my car or booking a room at Motel 6. At least there, I could of gotten better value for my money and probably better sleep.

I discovered that the Apple Farm room that I booked for $150 was a complete scam. The room was tiny and there was barely any room to move. The little TV had a barely visible picture. The bathroom was tiny as well and the bathroom had a shower but didn’t even have a tub. Those were the positive highlights of the room as I soon discovered.

I decided that the size of the room and the bathroom were not that significant and retired to bed. As soon as I laid on the mattress, I felt like I had hard rocks underneath by back. The mattress was so hard that I think the floor might of been softer to sleep on. The sheets felt like sand paper and the material was of the cheapest quality. The pillows must have been bought at a 99 Cents Store and felt like they were filled with rocks. There were no blankets on the bed (except for the cheap dirty bed cover) and for half of the night, I was freezing. The frame of the bed was made of copper and metal and because I was next to the stairway, anytime a guest would go up the stairs, the bed frame would rattle, shake and scratch against the wall. I did everything in my power to fall asleep but by 4 am, there no shuteye to be had between the uncomfortable bed and constant screeching from the bed frame. So I called the front desk to ask if they had more comfortable accommodations. The clerk informed me that the mattresses are all different quality but he had no idea which were softer. In short, he could not help me.

After getting a few hours of sleep, I woke up with aches and pains all over my body. I could not wait to get out of the hotel. As I checked out, the front clerk asked me how my stay was and I nicely informed her the that my stay was very disappointing and explained why. Her response was “ Would you like to leave the charges on your credit card or do you want to use another credit card.” She was as helpful as the other clerk that I asked for assistance at 4 am in the morning.

As I was driving away from hotel and was admiring the beautiful outside grounds of the inn, I realized that the management of the hotel does everything they can to make the outside of the inn as attractive as possible so that they can trap their guests into thinking that the inside of the rooms will be just as well cared for and comfortable. Unfortunately that is so not the case. I will never stay at this inn again and will always remember my stay at the Apple Farm Inn as the worst hotel choice ever made. I hope that you don’t make the same mistake I did.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank HelenKM
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed here on our visit to Hearstt Castle, got a wonderful package deal that included a Hearst Castle tour. You can't beat the location in San Luis Obispo. Within walking distance to the wonderful downtown area, and very easy access to the highway. Rooms are extremely comfortable, nice bathrooms. Highlights, cookies in the lobby and a great restaurant on site! Only downside is noisy air conditioner units and missing TV remote controls. This was my second stay at the Apple Farm Inn and definitely look forward to coming back again

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I highly recommend the specialty suites on the 3rd floor of the main hotel. I have also stayed in the trelis rooms, but don't recommend these as much. Staff is friendly and very accomodating. The restaurant on the premises has great food. We did a day trip to Morro Bay and it was nice to return to a warm cozy room. I would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We were so delighted when we arrived to the Apple Farm Inn, it is such a charming hotel.We stayed in the Trellis Court, It has a warm cozy home feel. We reserved the family suite, The ambiance was wonderful and It was very neat and immaculate.
The only downer was the size of the rooms, they were teeny tiny, You'd think a family suite would be large and have open and ample room for 5+ to fit comfortably but unfortunately we felt pretty crammed.
I highly recommend the hotels restaurant, We had Breakfast and Dinner there and it was delicious!
In the evening they had a "guest reception" where they provided Fresh Baked Cookies, Coffee, Tea and Hot Apple Cider (which was amazing!)
We went to the Millhouse and had delicious homemade ice cream, ice Cold Cider, and Popcorn!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2009

We stayed in the main part off the inn , the room was huge and with all the creature comforts you could think . the fire in the room was great ,the weather was not that cold but we still tried it out the beds and all linens were first class . well done to the owners we will be back. The restaurant attached was great for breakfast but we eat out in san luis town great choice of places and wine tasting enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple