We have been to this boutique hotel many times in the past, but not recently. We were told that they had renovated their rooms so we were intrigued and made a reservation. We do not normally critique hotels, however, we felt compelled in this case.
We booked a renovated room on Sunday night for a reduced rate, but still paid over $200, so our expectations were high. We entered into our renovated room and found the primary changes to the "country-themed" main building were a flat panel television, a travertine tile tub enclosure and new carpet.
The rooms are still outfitted in over the top country decor, the tub is so shallow that soaking is impossible, and the furniture was old and dated. Also, I am confused, they went to all the trouble to buy and install state-of-the-art flat panel televisions, but didn't spring for an HD cable feed. It was a weird experience looking at fuzzy fat people on a new 40" flat screen!
As to comfort, the mattress was lumpy and hard, there was a stale smell in the bathroom, one of our lamps was broken, and the old-timey motel style air conditioner could not adequately cool the room. It was hot as hell in that room that only my grandmother could love. Oh, I almost forgot...There is a fireplace in your room. Don't bother, if it is cool enough to need one, this one won't do the the job. They have the gas turned down to the point that you can barely see or feel the flame. No heat and No ambiance.
The next morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast, hoping to drown our sorrow at having spent a sleepless night on a lumpy bed in a sweaty tropical jungle. Our hopes were high, until we looked at the menu, $12 to $15 for a bacon and egg breakfast! This put a cap on it for us. This whole place is overpriced and underwhelming.
Do not waste your time and money here. They have not kept up with the times and market and their renovations are barely noticeable. It was very disappointing as they still have a nice Christmas ambiance, but their overall value is poor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Apple Farm Inn is located near downtown San Luis Obispo and very close to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. All the rooms have fireplaces and complimentary wireless internet access. The property has a heated swimming pool, an on-site spa, a restaurant featuring comfort cuisine and an elaborate gift shop. It is centrally located for exploring the Central Coast with wineries and beaches no more than 10-15 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apple Farm Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apple Farm Hotel San Luis Obispo
- Hotel Apple Farm
- Apple Farm Inn Luis Obispo San