My boyfriend and I had to stay in San Luis Obispo unexpectedly this past weekend because our car broke down on the way back from a trip to Big Sur. We decided to try the Apple Farm just because it looked different, and I couldn't bear the thought of a dull chain hotel. Well, we couldn't have asked for more different. The Apple Farm is without a doubt, the most committed to a theme than any hotel I have ever stayed in, and it's quite impressive. Unfortunately, I would characterize that theme as "Contemporary Grandmother's Teaparty", which is really not a style I'm into, but aesthetic tendencies aside, it was a very pleasant overnight stay.
Our room was a large deluxe king in the main inn building ($129 a night instead of $229 because it was last minute), with a gas fireplace, a sitting area and an enormous canopy bed. All the fabric in the room from the curtains, the upholstery on the furniture to the drapes and linen on the bed were the same "country floral," which kind of gave me a headache, but again, it's just not my thing. The bathroom was very big (although the shower was on the small side), very clean, and what do you know? Adorned with the same fabric. The television was equipped with some sort of WebTV-type thing as well as an ethernet cable. The room also came with two huge, scratchy robes; complimentary Martinelli's sparkling cider, and, bizarrely, a painted wooden apple for us to take home.
Out in the public areas of the inn, every inch of space is decorated/showcased with various teaparty/country kitchen items in a way that was actually quite well done. But less is definitely not more at the Apple Farm. All of the stuff is probably for sale in the very elaborate gift shop across the parking lot in the restaurant building, which also houses the bakery, or in the Apple Farm Mill (with its giant water wheel). Lest you feel pressured by all that merchandise, the lobby offers complimentary coffee, cider and cookies, and the staff was very, very nice.
All in all, it was quite an experience. My mom would have loved it. I'll probably never stay there again. But for what it was, I really have no complaints. It certainly was different.
(sidebar: I DO have a complaint: the restaurant is mediocre at best although we had no problems with the service.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Apple Farm Inn is located near downtown San Luis Obispo and very close to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. All the rooms have fireplaces and complimentary wireless internet access. The property has a heated swimming pool, an on-site spa, a restaurant featuring comfort cuisine and an elaborate gift shop. It is centrally located for exploring the Central Coast with wineries and beaches no more than 10-15 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apple Farm Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apple Farm Hotel San Luis Obispo
- Hotel Apple Farm
- Apple Farm Inn Luis Obispo San