“Committed To a Theme”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, CA
“Committed To a Theme”
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My boyfriend and I had to stay in San Luis Obispo unexpectedly this past weekend because our car broke down on the way back from a trip to Big Sur. We decided to try the Apple Farm just because it looked different, and I couldn't bear the thought of a dull chain hotel. Well, we couldn't have asked for more different. The Apple Farm is without a doubt, the most committed to a theme than any hotel I have ever stayed in, and it's quite impressive. Unfortunately, I would characterize that theme as "Contemporary Grandmother's Teaparty", which is really not a style I'm into, but aesthetic tendencies aside, it was a very pleasant overnight stay.

Our room was a large deluxe king in the main inn building ($129 a night instead of $229 because it was last minute), with a gas fireplace, a sitting area and an enormous canopy bed. All the fabric in the room from the curtains, the upholstery on the furniture to the drapes and linen on the bed were the same "country floral," which kind of gave me a headache, but again, it's just not my thing. The bathroom was very big (although the shower was on the small side), very clean, and what do you know? Adorned with the same fabric. The television was equipped with some sort of WebTV-type thing as well as an ethernet cable. The room also came with two huge, scratchy robes; complimentary Martinelli's sparkling cider, and, bizarrely, a painted wooden apple for us to take home.

Out in the public areas of the inn, every inch of space is decorated/showcased with various teaparty/country kitchen items in a way that was actually quite well done. But less is definitely not more at the Apple Farm. All of the stuff is probably for sale in the very elaborate gift shop across the parking lot in the restaurant building, which also houses the bakery, or in the Apple Farm Mill (with its giant water wheel). Lest you feel pressured by all that merchandise, the lobby offers complimentary coffee, cider and cookies, and the staff was very, very nice.

All in all, it was quite an experience. My mom would have loved it. I'll probably never stay there again. But for what it was, I really have no complaints. It certainly was different.

(sidebar: I DO have a complaint: the restaurant is mediocre at best although we had no problems with the service.)

• Liked — Their commitment
  • Disliked — The style of decorating
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KimTravels_76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
South Pasadena, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2008

If you're seeking a nice place to stay for a reasonable price in the Central Coast area of California the Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo may be just the place. We stayed a couple of nights in this wonderful college town in the middle of California. The hotel has long been a favorite with parents visiting the Cal Poly campus and with travellers going up & down the state.

Our stay was not in the main building, but in the Trellis Court complex which is basically a motel they purchased some years ago and converted/added onto the Apple Farm. The rooms are small which is probably my only complaint! The hotel does state on their website that the rooms are 1/2 the size of the rooms in the main building. They are not so small that they are uncomfortable, and they do offer some nice features including internet access (a must for me!), fireplaces and some great views from just about any room!

The grounds are immaculate and well kept. They are a fun place to walk around and there's an old Mill on the property. Great shops along with food offerings. Little treats in the rooms and special wine tasting gatherings in the early evenings. It's a short 5 minute drive or a nice walk into the downtown San Luis business district where there is plenty of restaurants and shopping! Good location from which to explore the Central Coast section of California!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank LT7744
San Francisco
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Unpleasant experience. We needed a stall shower and direct access from the car, so they booked us into the Trellis section.
The Trellis section is an old motel with tiny rooms that is adjacent to the highway.
I requested a quiet room with a king bed when I made the reservation on the telephone. The room that they gave us was 2 doors from the highway and the noise was unbelievable. When I complained, they substituted another room a little further away, but couldn't provide a king bed, so we had to settle for a queen.
The rooms are tiny. The shower stall is very difficult to get into and there is no room to wash once you get in and the bed creaked every time we moved. Most hotels provide free bottled water, but they have a price on it.
At checkout, they were very resistant to adjusting the rate because of the room downgrade, but finally they reluctantly agreed - although they refused to honor the AAA discount that I had been given on the original reservation.
When the charge appeared on our credit card statement, they had charged us for the bottled water, even though we didn't use any.
We stayed at the Embassy Suites next time for about the same price and had a much better experience. - Suggest others do the same.

• Liked — Convenient to the highway
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Francis021
Northern California
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Personal business caused us to be on the road during the New Years holidays. A web search, including using TravelAdvisor, helped us to narrow our focus onto The Apple Farm. The Apple Farm web site featured an internet special for seniors that caused me to call their reservations desk. That was the beginning of a wonderful experience!

They locked on our reservation and were prepared for our arrival. As a special rate, we feared being next to the elevator and ice machine. Not So! Our room was large and gorgeous. There was a flower holder with fresh flowers attached to the bathroom mirror, complementory minis of Martinelli's Apple Cider and the bathroom amenities (shampoo/body gel, etc.)better than much more expensive lodging.

The canopy bed, three-way reading lights that were actually three-way(!), room sofa/reading area, ethernet computer hook up, complementory wine from 3:30-5:00, excellent maid service (I requested an additional ice bucket and received it within two minutes), exceptionally friendly desk personnel and evidence of superior facility and grounds maintenance ensured that we will be back.

Restaurant personnel were pleasant and not at all ruffled as we opted to split our entree due to being on a diet. At no extra charge and additional plate was provided and the food was excellent. A quoted $10.00 corkage fee kept us from sharing a bottle of wine sent by our daughter on New Years eve...a bottle shared back at home on New Years Day watching the Rose Bowl.

There are some compromises....the parking lot is TIGHT. The ONLY thing wrong with our room was a floor lamp that had apparently fallen at one time or another and was rather severly bent, but operable. This was a room MORE than tastefully decorated by chair rail, wallpaper, armoires and amenities. There was no microwave or refrigerator, but had there been one it would have, in our opinion, spoiled the decor.

Walking the grounds, we observed an item commented on by others...rooms outside the main inn itself appeared small and not suited for families.

Overall, a solid "well done" and we WILL be back!

• Liked — Excellent personnel, clean room and grounds, amenities, location.
  • Disliked — Tight parking lot.
2 Thank doingitall
Southern Calfornia
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband and I received a night at the Apple Farm as a wedding gift, and since we had not stayed there before, it was a great way to try out this hotel. We had heard good things about the Apple Farm from our friends, so we had pretty high expectations. Overall, the Inn was very nice. The rooms were large, clean, and nicely decorated (if you have a likeness for the country farmhouse type of decor). The hotel staff was courteous and accommodating, although at times we felt like they were auditioning for a broadway show (i.e. they seemed overly complimentary and eager to please). They upgraded our room without us requesting it, which would have been great had they given us a room with a working fireplace. When we asked to move to a room with a fireplace that worked, it was a much smaller room in a noisy section of the Inn, so we stayed put. The grounds were well kept and decorated for Christmas so the property was very pretty.

Since we had arrived late and were not familiar with the area, we decided to dine at the Apple Farm restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a mistake. The service was extremely slow. We decided the best way to pass the time was to drink a nice bottle of wine. We brought a bottle of our favorite wine with us to the restaurant and after being seated at our table for more than 20 minutes, and asking our waiter twice, our wine bottle still had not been opened. When our waiter finally opened the bottle....or I should say tried to open the bottle, he pushed the cork through the bottle and blamed it on the “dry cork” (read=excuse for not knowing how to open a bottle of wine). He then took the bottle to somewhere in the back of the restaurant and then brought us our wine by the glass (with cork pieces floating in the wine). Our waiter did apologize and waived the $10 cork fee. The meal ended up being quite expensive ($50 for 2 people) which was surprising given that the food was quite mediocre and the service was poor. The food can best be compared to a Marie Callendar’s (sans the overpriced fare). We tried the restaurant again for breakfast, but we should have learned our lesson. The service was again horrible (we saw our waitress twice and she disappeared for 30 minutes in between). When we spoke to the manager (because they forgot to bring out half of my husband’s breakfast), she was full of excuses. The manager comped our bill for breakfast which was nice, but I would rather have paid for a nice meal without the drama than a free breakfast.

I HIGHLY suggest skipping the Apple Farm restaurant given the many fine restaurants which we later discovered down the street in Old Town SLO.

2 Thank TravlLvr
Southern California
Reviewed December 12, 2007

I've stayed at the Apple Farm several times over the years. I guess the fact that I keep going back means the place mustn't be too bad. The rooms are beautiful and if you go in December the entire hotel is decorated beautifully for Christmas. The rooms are also very clean. The entire place has a very lovely feel of yesteryear, with it's decor and architecture. The staff is very helpful and try to meet any need that arises. They usually offer guests a discount on breakfast in their restaurant which is nice. The guest reception each evening offers coffee, tea, wine, cookies and cheese puffs. They usually hold it outside. It can be very chilly in the colder months and even with the heat lamps I was freezing. One of my complaints is that the restaurant's dinner menu is very expensive. They are now allowing dinner customers to order from the lunch menu as well. (Although you feel kind of like a loser ordering a sandwich for dinner from the lunch menu because the prices are so high for dinner.) Also everytime I've been there I've had to wait quite a while for a waiter or waitress to take my order and quite awhile to receive my food. So I would say expect slow service. The bakery however is wonderful. You can always find delicious treats reasonably priced. Also I love taking baths and the bathtubs at the Apple Farm are extremely small and uncomfortable. You won't find any large jet tubs in the regular rooms here. They also have bathrobes in the rooms, but the robes are not the soft cotton robes found at most upscale hotels. These are scratchy robes that feel like burlap. If they could improve on these areas I think this would be a 5 star destination. Although I'd have to say overall it's a great place.

• Liked — Decor of rooms
  • Disliked — dinner menu very expensive and bathtubs extrememly small.
Arizona
Reviewed December 6, 2007

We were on an 8 day wandering trek of California from Monterey down, and found this place by accident. Stayed 2 nights! Rooms are spotless and well decorated. Staff is attentive and special features abound. Mill house is a must see. We would return from Phoenix just to stay again.

Stayed September 2007