“Beautiful Hotel, shame about the service.”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
“Beautiful Hotel, shame about the service.”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

First impressions were terrible due to the rude reception staff member, David. We were forced to wait half an hour while he tried to retrieve our booking, and we were made to feel very unwelcome and judged for the discounted rate we got through Expedia.

Unfortunately this did put a dampener on the rest of our stay, however the Apple Farm is a lovely, quaint hotel that was very cosy. Complementary hot cider and fresh baked cookies in front of the fire was a nice touch, and it was fun to walk around the grounds that were decked out in Christmas decorations and fairy lights. San Luis Obispo itself is also a very cute town.

If they brush up on their customer service and first impressions I would happily stay their again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jkappleseed
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you taking the time to review our Inn. I would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant service you received during your stay with us. I am terribly sorry that you felt unwelcome during your check in. This level of service is not up to our standards and our Guest Services Manager has been notified about the issue. I am glad you were still able to enjoy the Christmas decorations and some of the amenities we offer. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future with guest service that wows you. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Southern California
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I love coming here. it is so relaxing and calming. It is very country with lots of flower wall paper, vases, pictures and everything else country... so If you dont like country this is not for you. Yes it is a older hotel, but I still love it. I love sitting in the lobby having coffee every morning, or hot cider, and watching people come down in their bathrobes. that's how comfortable this place is. Theresa at the front desk was so much help.. (Thank you) she even gave me a hand written map to take on a little road trip.bottom line, if you are looking for a modern hotel this is not for you. but it is totally for me! So relaxing!

Room Tip: get a room in side the hotel, it is alittle quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review The Apple Farm. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I agree that our Inn has a very special feel and it is not for everyone but it is perfect for others. The pictures you posted are beautiful, room 300 is a favorite for many of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Apple Farm again soon!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 26, 2011

A fabulous find in SLO. The restaurant serves excellent food at a great price. The portions are very American size, so go easy.

The room deco is very old fashioned and not in a good way. Floral curtains, matching wall paper etc.

• Stayed October 2011
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and loved the restaurant as well. We definitely serve big portions. They are great for leftovers! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed for one night with my husband in September 2011. Our stay was pleasant, we had to wait about 10 minutes to check in but that was fine. We enjoyed a cookie whilst we were waiting! Our room was huge and at the back of the hotel. A king size bed, very comfortable (although quite high off the ground!). The room was very quiet. It was quirky, everything had roses - the walls, couch, bed, canopy, even the bathroom! But it was no big deal. I read some reviews awhile back which were a bit harsh on the decorating. I think the hotel is redoing some of the rooms anyway.

The hotel is a little walk into town (20 mins). We didn't bother to wait for the tram. If you can visit on a thurday, there are great markets! Very lively with lots of food to eat. I really like this little town and would recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Apple Farm. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of renovating our rooms so they will still have the same feel as our traditional style rooms but they will be more contemporary. It is great that you were able to spend some time at the Farmer's Market, it is a always a big event around here. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Eastern Shore, MD
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed here recently for two nights as part of our trip to CA this summer. I saw this place on travelzoo.com with their special deal. We booked a room in the inn - I think it was called the queen deluxe room. When we arrived, so tired, it was nice to see a lovely lobby and we were delighted with free cookies and cider (or water) in their lobby. Check in was fine. However, going to our room, we were even more surprised. There was four of us, 2 adults and 2 almost adults (13 & 15), and we were impressed that the room was huge! There is a nice sitting area with a fireplace, then the two beds, armoire, and large bathroom. It was a room we could spread out in. It was somewhat "frilly", yes, but that's the way it is. If you want mannish decorating, you may want to stay at someone's hunting lodge instead. Oh, there is free internet in the lobby, which is a plus. Also, we had a free credit for breakfast. I don't remember if that is a usual thing or just part of the travelzoo special. However, just be aware, breakfast is pretty expensive for 4 people in their restaurant (count on about $10 p.p. for almost anything.) I think you could have used this credit towards their bakery too. Anyway, they had a nice gift shop, not cheap, but a lot of neat and unusual items to look at. They also had an area that was more like a "motel" area, which is different from the inn. From what I could tell, the rooms in the inn were much nicer and I would recommend them!
All in all, we had a nice time here!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Apple Farm. I am so happy to hear that you felt so comfortable while staying with us. The rooms in the Inn are very spacious which makes it great for families. It is wonderful that you were able to spend some time in the gift shop as well. We keep it full of very unique items. Thank you again for commenting on your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Modesto, California
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Beautiful grounds and atmosphere. Rooms decorated very quaintly. However, no place to sit in the room to watch the TV except the bed due to the arrangement even though there is a couch and chair in the room. Restaurant food is very good especially breakfast but a bit pricey as well. The grounds are a delight to walk around and enjoy. Also should have a refrig and microwave in the room.

2 Thank hunters101291
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you reviewing our property. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere while you stayed with us. We offer a variety of packages that you can find on our website with really great rates. Our guests tend to take advantage of these when they are available. We are also renovating all of rooms and a part of this process is adding refrigerators. So, as of now, select rooms have them and eventually all of them will. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Apple Farm!
Northern California
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We booked this by telephone as we were on the road about ten miles from San Luis Obispo. A friend had highly recommended it. They quoted $199 and we accepted, again based on the comments from our friend. What we didn't know was that we wouldn't be in the main building, but in the adjacent old motel building. The room was tiny. It was overly chinzy, but I can live with very outdated cutsy decor. I can also turn sideways to get around the bed (4 poster with canopy). What I can't tolerate is a backed up moldy shower. When my husband showered the water backed up. He stepped on the drain cover plate and it moved. It wasn't screwed down. Apparently, it had been unsecured to allow for previous work (which apparently hadn't fixed the problem). My husband showed it to me and it was obvious that the whole area which had been covered by the cover plate (4" to 6" diameter) was full of mold. It was ghastly. I took a picture and passed on the shower that morning. No way was I getting in there. So, off to visit friends with no shower and no hair washing.

When we checked out we asked to see the manager. It was Saturday morning and the manager wasn't available. The desk clerk said she was very sorry. The supervisor was helping someone else so we decided to wait. We felt that someone higher up should know as it is a health issue. While waiting the desk clerk told us that housekeping advised her it wasn't mold. Well, I know black mold when I see it. (Perhaps that's a training challenge for housekeeping). The supervisor also said he was very sorry. That was it. Nothing more. They weren't unpleasant, but it was a completely inadequate response. First, $200 for an almost impossible to navigate room and then a foul shower stall. We'll never return and will share the story with anyone who will listen. I have the picture to prove the story, attached

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere and for less money.
4 Thank puppysara
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your feedback. I cannot apologize enough for the way this situation was handled. The response you received was not adequate and we would like to make this right with you. The condition of the room you stayed in is not a typical situation and it is certainly not up to the standards of our Inn. We will be looking into what room this was so we can immediately fix the problem if it has not been done so already. I would also like to apologize that you were not informed that you were staying in the Trellis Court. It is expected that our sales staff explains this difference so our guests are not surprised by the size difference. If you feel comfortable contacting us directly we would appreciate the chance to remedy this issue with you. Thank you again for your feedback and I am sincerely sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Luis Obispo
La Cuesta Inn
La Cuesta Inn
#12 of 32 in San Luis Obispo
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Lui...
#11 of 32 in San Luis Obispo
The Inn at the Cove
The Inn at the Cove
#1 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Apple Farm Inn? Share your experiences!