“Do not stay here!”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We booked this by telephone as we were on the road about ten miles from San Luis Obispo. A friend had highly recommended it. They quoted $199 and we accepted, again based on the comments from our friend. What we didn't know was that we wouldn't be in the main building, but in the adjacent old motel building. The room was tiny. It was overly chinzy, but I can live with very outdated cutsy decor. I can also turn sideways to get around the bed (4 poster with canopy). What I can't tolerate is a backed up moldy shower. When my husband showered the water backed up. He stepped on the drain cover plate and it moved. It wasn't screwed down. Apparently, it had been unsecured to allow for previous work (which apparently hadn't fixed the problem). My husband showed it to me and it was obvious that the whole area which had been covered by the cover plate (4" to 6" diameter) was full of mold. It was ghastly. I took a picture and passed on the shower that morning. No way was I getting in there. So, off to visit friends with no shower and no hair washing.

When we checked out we asked to see the manager. It was Saturday morning and the manager wasn't available. The desk clerk said she was very sorry. The supervisor was helping someone else so we decided to wait. We felt that someone higher up should know as it is a health issue. While waiting the desk clerk told us that housekeping advised her it wasn't mold. Well, I know black mold when I see it. (Perhaps that's a training challenge for housekeeping). The supervisor also said he was very sorry. That was it. Nothing more. They weren't unpleasant, but it was a completely inadequate response. First, $200 for an almost impossible to navigate room and then a foul shower stall. We'll never return and will share the story with anyone who will listen. I have the picture to prove the story, attached

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere and for less money.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank puppysara
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your feedback. I cannot apologize enough for the way this situation was handled. The response you received was not adequate and we would like to make this right with you. The condition of the room you stayed in is not a typical situation and it is certainly not up to the standards of our Inn. We will be looking into what room this was so we can immediately fix the problem if it has not been done so already. I would also like to apologize that you were not informed that you were staying in the Trellis Court. It is expected that our sales staff explains this difference so our guests are not surprised by the size difference. If you feel comfortable contacting us directly we would appreciate the chance to remedy this issue with you. Thank you again for your feedback and I am sincerely sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here with my wife and daughter. Pleasantly surprised. Accomadations were great, large room in main building. Restaurant in excellent and my wife loves the gift shop and landscaping on property. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The rooms in the Inn are quite large and extremely cozy and our gift shop is very unique. It is great that your wife was able to take some time to shop a little bit. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

My sister and I stayed at Apple Farm for two nights and were highly pleased at the professionalism of the staff and the room accomodations. The room was large with a large bathroom and everything at the hotel was immaculately clean. Walking through the halls was like visiting a museum with all of the decorations. We would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. The free happy hour and snacks were great and the complementary apple cider and cookies were well appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It is great to hear that you had such a wonderful time during your stay with us. I am glad you were able to attend our complementary guest reception and enjoy the cookies. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming back to the Apple Farm soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We made a point going out of our way on our drive from north to south California to stay at this hotel again. It truly is a wonderful experience staying here. We arrived after dark but in time to have a delicious dinner in their restaurant. Only complaint would be the young waiter loading up ice to put in the fridge really noisily for some minutes while we ate. It was hard to talk! Room had lovely touches and was very comfortable. Only down side were the pillows! Ancient, lumpy and noticeably uncomfortable. Come on Apple Farm, you do such a great job, please invest in some new pillows. Breakfast was excellent and a tour round their shop before hitting the road. I have recommended this hotel to other friends and will happily continue to do so. A real pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank helen94
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you will have the chance to come back and visit during your next trip up or down California. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed here with our toddler in Sept 2011. We decided to do so based on the reviews and also advice from family. Also the location is good next to 101 and with a trolley stop right outside. This hotel is a very cozy place, much like an oversized B & B. The decor is definitely "older", but that seems to be part of the charm. The furnishings are antique-like and the staff were very nice and aimed to please (with one exception which I will get to). The grounds, with the waterwheel, are very cute and the entire place has a very down-home fell about it. The restaurant was much like the hotel, with home style cooking and good food. Now the two problems....the first wasn't a big deal. When I made the reservation, we were promised that extra bedding would be waiting for us on the window/day bed so our daughter could use it. Nothing extra was there. Again, not a huge thing, but don't say it will be there if it isn't going to be. The second issue is the main reason that this is a 2 star rating instead of a 4 star. That is, that the room adjoining ours was undergoing renovations on both of our mornings there. So, on both days, 8am brought non-stop and very loud banging on our walls. It was almost comical. Since we were with our young daughter, we were up thankfully, but had we been on a romantic getaway and wanting to sleep in I would have been highly ticked. I think what bothered me most though was the fact that nothing of this was said to us at check-in. It's not hard to figure out which rooms would be affected by this work, so just tell me what's going on at check-in and that I should let you know if it becomes a problem. That would have been sufficient, because I understand that renovations need to occur from time to time. After the first morning, I did inform the desk manager that it was a problem. He was 'very sorry', but absolutely nothing was done about it. It surprised me because I really felt like this place prides itself on service. It was clearly lacking here. I would go back to the restaurant, but I doubt I would stay here again. It's ashame because it's a cute place and it was all avoidable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pigsmilk
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thank you for reviewing our property. We appreciate the time you took to provide comments and suggestions about our hotel. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay with us. I apologize that you were not forewarned about the renovations that are happening in the Inn. We are undergoing a big project and, I agree, you should have been informed that this was going on. We should have taken action to improve your stay, we do pride ourselves on our service and this was not up to our standards. I will be forwarding this to the front desk to ensure that we are relaying this information on to our guests who will be affected by the noise. Thank you again for your review and we hope to get the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We usually stay in the main hotel and wait for a weekday special. (like $99, etc). We stayed on several occasions and always pleased. Very nice decor and well done. Even the non upgraded rooms are very nice!!

When we drive up the coast, we stay at the Apple Farm on the way to the Bay area. On our last stay, the weather was rainy but being in a very nice room made our stay. We always stay in the main hotel. My wife likes the restaurant too.

Bottom line: Great value with normal non specials--incredible values with one of the specials!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. It is great to hear that you have been able to stay with us on several occasions. Our location between southern California and the Bay Area is ideal for stopping on the way. I am glad you have enjoyed your rooms we strive to make our guests feel at home. Thank you again for sharing your experience at the Apple Farm and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

Finally a decent price came for this hotel ~ $99 per night. With a $5 per night food credit which could be used both at once which is never the case with coupons. They give wine tasting coupons but the wine area is in Palo Robles a good 20 .highway minutes away. The room had a sitting area with couch and table. Very comfortable. We peeked into another room which had a canopy bed with a much smaller sitting area. Our room had 2 queens. We ate at the good but overpriced restaurant and used the two $5 credits toward the bill. The trolley stops at the hotel next door for a car less ride to downtown. ($.25) The staff had a long line at check out but didn't have or didn't bother to call more clerks. The rooms will eventually have mini-fridges as this was one item we addressed at the reception area. Parking is free. There are freshly baked cookies in the lobby at 7 but if you get there by 7:10 they are gone. Wine and appetizers are offered for 1 1/2 hours in a cute garden type setting and sitting room.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the brook side. You can hear the water babbling and it is like a hypnotic sleep aid.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Thank you for reviewing our property. We appreciate the time you took to share your comments. It looks like you booked the Travelzoo special we recently had going which is a really fun deal! We offer many different packages throughout the year that include an array of activities and amenities. We are glad you were able to experience our traditional amenities as well, such as the guest reception and the dining vouchers, which are provided to all of our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!