“Great food and excellent value for money”
Review of La Palapa

La Palapa
Ranked #150 of 303 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Great food and excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have been going to La Palapa for the past five years. It's family owned and has been consistently outstanding. The food is very tasty, the portions are generous, and the prices are more than reasonable. Strong recommendation.
The restaurant in Los Osos has the same menu but also has a bar and an ocean view. Equally good.

Visited April 2012

San Simeon, California
“Fresh and friendly”
Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

Very fresh food; spring mix in the salad, fresh veggies in the fajitas and enchiladas. Great chips and the salsa was delish. Huge glasses of ice tea. Servers were friendly and food came fast. Will continue to come here.

San Luis Obispo, California
“Friendly service and authentic Mexican food in culturally decorated setting”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

La Palapa is our favorite Mexican restaurant in San Luis Obispo. We go there regularly even though my husband is a marvelous cook as he loves the chili verde. They have uniquely flavored chili rellenos that are yummy. I love it because there are many options for vegetarians. My favorite is the vegetable enchiladas. My sister insists that we go there every time she is in town and always orders the fajitas. Chips and salsa are complimentary. We love the setting, which features colorful chairs and a TV for sports fan. There are also lunch specials. Give this place a try and you will return again and again. We have never been disappointed and have bought gift cards for our friends so they can try it too!

• Visited August 2011
San Luis Obispo
“Genuine Mexican Food”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a lovely family own restaurant with the best sodas that are served in mason jars. Our daughter swears they have the absolute best Chile Relleno on planet earth...she is a food science major and has a very keen palete. I also love the tamales. The refried beans are absolutely delicious and are served with most entrees. I also like the atmosphere, Mexican themed seating with lots of light from large windows, I enjoy sitting in a corner table when the sun is coming in. The chips and salsa are excellent and very fresh...although sometimes the salsa is very hot...I still eat it and enjoy it with my soda. Overall this is a great place to go. We often eat here.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Makkie333
“Food so authentic it's hard to believe you are in a restaurant!”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

If your only experience with a chile relleno has been from the typical restaurant made with a canned California chile, jack cheese, and a gelatinous sauce, or worse yet, canned enchilada sauce, then you will probably be disappointed. They roast a fresh pasilla chile, stuff it with Mexican cheese and top it with an authentic homemade relleno sauce that has the perfect balance of sweetness and baking.spices.

I also love the special carnitas enchiladasa and of you order the Palapa Burrito (try it w/ carnitas and verde sauce-yum), be prepared to take home plenty of leftovers. I like their mole sauce, but because they make out with chicken breast rather than thigh the dish cam be a bit dry for my taste.

The service can be slow, but isusually friendly.

1 Thank shellchelle