“Favorite Sandwiches in Town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 301 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
California
“Favorite Sandwiches in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

East coast style sandwiches. Unlike Subway, a 6" sub is a full 6 inches, perhaps a little more. Great fresh carved lunchmeats. Highly recommend the half meatball/half italian sausage sandwich.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank deestore

SLO
“Doesn't compare to all the great sandwich shops we already have”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

My coworkers and I ate here, hoping to find a great new sandwich place. First, we had no choice but to get our food to go, even with a couple tables outside there is very little space. Second, I ordered my sandwich with the option of double meat, which essential is double price. Upon unwrapping our lunches after walking back to work everyone got a good laugh at the fact that my sandwich had almost no meat at all. So I had paid double... to get half?! Third, the sandwiches were just average. Had I not paid extra for nothing I would still only give an average rating, but feeling that I was ripped off on my first visit I have to give an emphatic thumbs down.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
San Luis Obispo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best in town, hands down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

When I heard about a new sandwich shop opening in SLO, I couldn't wait to try it out. Yeah, High Street is good and Gus's is okay, but neither are anything special. My husband and I have gone here several times and everytime it is consistently good! Everyone there is friendly and very helpful. The setting is quaint and there are a couple of tables inside and out.
The sandwich I always order is the East Coast (italian sub on french roll). The meat is great, bread amazing and I think the best part is the roasted bell pepper they put on there. They are GIANT! Even if you get the 9 inch, it could pass for 2 meals.

1 Thank Ricepants
SLO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I can hardly wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I have had this restaurant's food several times, including going to the shop and at a catered event, and it has been amazing every time! I used to work in the restaurant industry, and can honestly recommend them for top-notch food (it's been consistently fabulous), great service and value, and a lovely atmosphere (always in great condition, and especially welcoming).. Consequently, I also got to meet the owners and found them to be very charming and warm, friendly people. I know and appreciate how hard it can be to have consistent excellence, and that is what I've found at the Giant Grinder! I am going back in a couple of days, and can hardly wait!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TR2021
San Luis Obispo, California
“Awesome all-around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

The Broad Street Giant Grinder is really a great place to go for lunch. While it can be crowded at times, isn't that a good sign? I do recommend calling in your order since the place is technically a "take-out" sandwich shop, and space does not permit for much work space (AKA, they probably cannot squeeze another employee in back there!), or seating for that matter. The owners are very nice; they seem to know a good percentage of their patrons... another good sign. Food is always good. I like the combo sandwiches the best - especially the So-Cal and the East-Coast. The Central Coast and Barbecue Chicken are some other favorites! And if you're going for a vegetarian sandwich, the pepper and egg grinder is unlike any I've had before. But if you want a cold veggie sand, order the "no meat" with all of the yummy veggies you like (preferably including avocado!) and ask them to add some sliced hard-boiled egg to it... extra protein and flavor in one shot! Overall... a BIG thumbs up from me!

1 Thank JF-SLO