“Consistently Good”

Harry's Hofbrau
Ranked #4 of 259 Restaurants in San Leandro
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Overall: I'd like to give a 4 1/2 star of out 5 s

There are other Harry's Hofbrau in the Bay Area like in Livermore and Redwood City, but I'll just speak directly about San Leandro and make some general comments Harry's Hofbrau.

I've been going to Harry's for over 30 years and it has been very consistent from one Harry's to
another. All Harry's seem to have the same decor and looks relatively alike in all ways. The Livermore restaurant is newer and a bit smaller. There is a 'real' bar in Harry's. Also I enjoy their booths.

The food is very good overall - tender and moist turkey legs, moist pastrami (try it double dipped with an onion roll), and the turkey a la king over rice. Portions are very good, and over the years, I believe they may give according to you body size. If you want more while they
are cutting the meat for you, just say 'Don't be shy about it' or something nice like that and
they usually accommodate you.

There is a secret about Harry's that not too many people or customers are aware of. Remember, I have been coming to Harry's for about 3 decades. The secret is that they
have the best carrot cake around - no joking. They do not make it but get it from a bakery
in Redwood City, CA that do not sell it to retail customers. If you do enjoy a great carrot
cake, buy a piece first and let it sit out for about 15 minutes. You'll want more. If there is
more than 5 people in your group that wants carrot cake, I suggest buying the whole carrot
cake. It is cheaper that way and you can take the rest home for yourself.

I've taken 15 people here at one time. The prices are good and you don't have to make a
reservation, you can have a party here at no extra cost, refills are free for soda, and although
not necessary to tip, I usually do for the people who pick up and clean after me. Sometimes
when I think the service is great from the cashier who does more than take my money, I also
tip them. I feel like I've got a bargain coming to Harry's.

This place is family oriented but noticed that more adults usually come here without children.
If you want more than fast food and something much better than it, then visit a Harry's. There is hardly anything like this in the Bay Area that I can find..

If you want bright lights and atmosphere and things to keep your eyes and senses away from
your food, this is not the place for you.

1  Thank alohawailea

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have been here many times when I travel to the San Leandro area.. I loved the fresh turkey being carved in front of me. The roast beef medium just how I like it. It makes it hard to decide what kind of sandwich or dinner meal I want. One thing it's always great.

1  Thank sue4az
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I see lots of people enjoy this place, but its just not for me. Dark, dank and makes me wonder what's really on the floor and in the kitchen!

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Harry's has been here for at least 20 years, probably longer, and always has customers morning to night. You go through the line and choose what you want. This makes the service very fast. They are famous for their turkey dinners but have a dozen other choices. Low to moderate prices ($9-$12) with discounts for kids and seniors. A dish of ice cream is included. Very well decorated and large dining room with comfortable leather booths.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Harry's Hofbrau is a San Leandro staple. I love going there when I am really hungry and crave turkey. Nothing beats juicy white meat turkey carved right in front of you. The food is reasonably priced and is an especially good deal for seniors and children. There are not a lot of places in the East Bay that you can get an entire meal, including drinks and dessert, for $8.74 (senior). Sandwiches are reasonably priced too. There is plenty of seating, booths and tables, and is comfortable whether you are solo or with a large group.

1  Thank travelsanti